Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Air travel. To bend or not to bend, that is the question!

(49 Posts)
papaoscar Sun 31-Aug-14 11:29:19

Is it acceptable to recline ones economy seat these days or should all the cheap seats just be fixed?

tanith Sun 31-Aug-14 11:38:57

I'm happy not to recline my seat on a shortish flight say under 4hrs so fixed seats on short haul would be fine. Long haul then I think its understood that most people want to recline to sleep.

Nonu Sun 31-Aug-14 12:36:57

Long haul I think is okay to recline, as after all when the food is served a crew member will ask the person in front to put the seat to an upright position.
smile

glammanana Sun 31-Aug-14 15:23:50

As long as the person behind doesn't mind and the seat is re-positioned for any food/drink I think it is acceptable to recline but on most trips of say 3/4/hours I never do,long haul it is expected as normal I think, unless you happen to be in front of the dreaded child who constantly kicks the seat then the whole scenario changes somewhat.hmm

Charleygirl Sun 31-Aug-14 15:42:58

I have fairly long thighs and I find that if somebody in front reclines their seat, they are practically sitting on my knees and my newish TKR would not tolerate that. I stay off planes, one of the many reasons.

tiggypiro Sun 31-Aug-14 22:56:41

One of the few good things about Ryanair is that the seats are fixed. There is a gadget on sale which apparently stops the seat in front reclining but due to arguments between passengers some airlines are banning it.

rosequartz Sun 31-Aug-14 23:05:48

I always hope we get 4 seats between us on longhaul so that I can stretch right out - and allow DH an hour or so as well!

It has happened two or three times.

First class would be better of course.

Nonu Mon 01-Sep-14 08:04:05

ROSE, we are exactly the same .

Sadly it happens rarely these days as they tend to lump flights together if you get what I mean !
smile

papaoscar Mon 01-Sep-14 14:41:09

I well remember a very quiet flight to Toronto on which we both had three seats, three exquisite fillet steaks and three little bottles of wine. Not very pc these days but we thoroughly enjoyed it and no worries about tilting seats.

rosequartz Mon 01-Sep-14 14:53:50

We had four seats between us last year on a long haul flight, but every seat was filled on the way home again!

Fillet steak shock have you got your own private jet papa

Nonu Mon 01-Sep-14 15:01:49

When we go to Mauritius in February because we always go on a night flight we usually get a Whole row each.

I like to stretch out and sleep, Mr N not so keen.

Coming back is a different matter we fly back first thing in the morning and the flight is usually pretty full. But what the heck !

Strewth, PAPA you know how to look after yourself !!! grin

smile

papaoscar Mon 01-Sep-14 15:41:06

Yes, GFlyers, those were indeed the days. A more recent experience was on a packed Ryanair sitting very close to a lady who dropped a huge beaker of hot coffee all over herself and the man next door and his laptop. The resulting chaos took up took up the whole of the flight, what with all the mopping up, moaning and groaning. Luckily nobody was hurt, but I don't know if the laptop survived.

gillybob Mon 01-Sep-14 15:46:22

One should think very carefully before one reclines ones economy seat. hmm

For the record one has never travelled in any seat other than economy.

I think selfish people are selfish people no matter where they are or what they are doing. Reclining a seat on a short flight knowing that the person behind you will have the back of your seat in their face just sums this up.

rosesarered Mon 01-Sep-14 15:59:44

Gillybob I am outing you! Should I call you 'your Majesty' hmmn?Surely you travelling in economy is a joke Ma'am?

rosesarered Mon 01-Sep-14 16:00:45

And furthermore, I agree with what you said.

gillybob Mon 01-Sep-14 16:11:57

Thanks roses. grin I tend to only fly cattle class anyway. All the hay you can eat.

Galen Mon 01-Sep-14 16:19:15

I fly business or as BA call it club Europe. It is definitely worth the extra expense for me as I find after an economy seat I can't move.

rosequartz Mon 01-Sep-14 17:19:27

For the price of two business class flights we can have our whole holiday in Australia, including suffering economy flights and an internal flight or two.

Heigh ho, perhaps one day! When the boat comes in! (or plane)

tiggypiro Mon 01-Sep-14 17:58:18

I'm with you there Galen. I started going business on long haul flights when I was recovering from a broken leg and now would not do anything else. Costs a fortune but I count it as my one and only luxury in life. I hate shopping, eat food from the garden as much as possible and drive an oldish car (but only if I can't get there on my bike) so reckon I earn it ! Helps that there is only me.

Maggiemaybe Mon 01-Sep-14 20:16:27

To the original question - no, it's not acceptable and yes, they should all be fixed.

Speaking as one who always seems to be blessed with the person in front who crashes the seat back as soon as we're airborne, turns round to smile sweetly and ask if it's okay afterwards (knowing you can't really say no, it b.......y well isn't) then spends half the flight standing in the aisle anyway talking to his mates, so you've got an empty seat in your lap. And even has to be told by the cabin staff to put the darned thing to upright for a few brief minutes while you eat. angry

I'm going to get a paper round and start saving for upgrades. grin

nannymoocow Mon 01-Sep-14 20:22:33

I think all short haul flight seats should be fixed so they cannot recline, but admit long haul is a different thing.

I usually try to purchase extra legroom, as I had a panic attack once when the person in front of me reclined their seat. Not an experience I wish to repeat!

Coolgran65 Mon 01-Sep-14 20:26:59

I also have only ever travelled in economy and even on a 9 hour flight did not put my seat back knowing that there isn't much room to spare.
And have never been on a cross Atlantic flight that wasn't full to capacity. Probably because there is only one daily flight from our nearest airport.
Sardines comes to mind.

rosequartz Mon 01-Sep-14 20:52:09

This is useful:

www.seatguru.com/charts/longhaul_economy.php

Galen Mon 01-Sep-14 20:55:47

I travelled economy + on a transatlantic return. Never again. I've only been once more and I went over business, what a difference! (Didn't make Miami airport any better though. I will never fly to America again, the airport staff are so nasty)

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 01-Sep-14 21:20:50

I have travelled business, economy, and EasyJet.

Were all much of a muchness.

Nice Business Class lounge with BA. Free food.