Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Was there sabotage on Bake-off?

(81 Posts)
trisher Wed 27-Aug-14 21:42:38

Just watched Bake Off and wondered if it is OK for one contestant to do something with another contestants bake? I don't want to discuss the result and the dumping which caused it. What I wonder is haven't they left the programme wide open to contestants doing things to get rid of competitors. Surely if you mess up someone's work there should be some sort of penalty. Deliberately haven't given details for those of you who watch on catch-up!

Coolgran65 Wed 27-Aug-14 21:47:27

I missed a couple of minutes but DH thought that there was an issue that should have been taken into consideration and dealt with.

Ana Wed 27-Aug-14 21:56:03

I felt very sorry for that contestant. No mention was made of the part others played, and although I doubt deliberate sabotage I felt it displayed a careless and selfish attitude by a couple of them! angry

merlotgran Wed 27-Aug-14 22:05:26

I think little was revealed because they'll be saving it for 'Extra Slice' on Friday.

I remember something similar happening on Masterchef a couple of years ago when one contestant lowered the temperature of the wrong oven and ruined another contestants dish.

I would throw a real humdinger of a wobbly if it happened to me grin

henetha Wed 27-Aug-14 22:21:50

Yes, there was a bit of a meltdown, wasn't there... i think? Not quite sure what happened and why it wasn't explained properly. Was there a bit of soggy bottomed behaviour?

Ana Wed 27-Aug-14 22:27:21

Well, we saw what happened! I won't say any more in case others haven't watched it yet, but it's quite clear to me.

Nelliemoser Wed 27-Aug-14 22:49:15

A bit of a melt down is an overstatement from what I saw!
What is supposed to have happened to his ice cream? Did it get taken out of a freezer by someone else or did he leave it out too long?

There didn't seem to be any blame about how it came to be melted. I would doubt if deliberate sabotage could have gone undiscovered with all the cameras about.

merlotgran Wed 27-Aug-14 22:52:40

Incidents will occur now there's another programme to feed hmm

Ana Wed 27-Aug-14 22:56:22

Hmm...well someone took his dish out of the freezer, probably because it was blocking hers, asked another contestant whose it was, she replied and somehow it got left out on the counter...

(The cameras are just there to record the action, no one's going to come out and pounce on any cheating - it all makes for good tv! wink)

rosequartz Wed 27-Aug-14 23:13:11

Ooh, have recorded it!

I remember last time when one contestant 'stole' another's custard or something.

ninathenana Wed 27-Aug-14 23:45:28

Do I care ? Erm,.......no!

J52 Thu 28-Aug-14 06:07:17

I was surprised that the person (who I thought took the ice cream out ) seemed to have no shame or apologise. If it was a mistake, I'd have been very apologetic! Roll on Extra Slice, we may get some answers! X

J52 Thu 28-Aug-14 06:25:13

Just watched it again on I player, slowly. It would seem that a certain person asked whose it was, in the freezer. When Ian came to get the ice cream it was sitting on her bench!
The telling comment was, 'you've got your own freezer'. Did she not want his ice cream in her freezer, because it would make her ice cream take longer to set.
If you can watch it on replay, look at her expression, is there a smirk?

I think whatever the outcome, she will leave very soon.

This is just my opinion, others may have different theories! X

shysal Thu 28-Aug-14 09:03:24

Apparently there is outrage on Twitter, but Sue Perkins has posted that the ice cream was only out of the freezer for 40 seconds! I do feel more should have been explained on the programme to clarify what happened.

Pittcity Thu 28-Aug-14 09:25:03

I think it was clever editing to stir up controversy and thus gain publicity. There were other melting ice creams but they were judged and pronounced tasty. Paul Hollywood said on Twitter that it was 30 degrees in the tent that day so they expected and allowed for melting.

penguinpaperback Thu 28-Aug-14 10:16:07

It is the actual Daily Mail online headlines at the moment!
Do not click on this link if you still have the programme to watch or you don't want to know the outcome!

Here comes the link....spoiler warning! cupcake

www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2736048/Bake-Off-meltdown-Cook-storms-crying-foul-TV-rival-sabotages-ice-cream-pudding.html

Ana Thu 28-Aug-14 10:18:51

I haven't read your link, penguinpaperback, but the contestant didn't know how long the ice cream had been out of the freezer, did he?

penguinpaperback Thu 28-Aug-14 10:21:10

No he had no idea Ana.

J52 Thu 28-Aug-14 11:20:30

Just read the DM article. It does not matter how long it was out of the freezer. Cheating is cheating! Even absent minded contestants would realise that ice cream must remain in the freezer!shock x

Labouroflove Thu 28-Aug-14 11:27:22

Proof was in the meltdown, doesn't really matter how long it was out for as the damage was clear to see. There should be rule that nobody touches any other contestant's produce under any circumstances. If it doesn't belong to you, you have no business doing anything with it.

granjura Thu 28-Aug-14 13:27:51

Oh for goodness sakes ... (who cares!)

Ana Thu 28-Aug-14 13:31:26

We do, granjura. TBH, I was actually shocked - somehow I never expected that sort of sly, almost unconscious cheating to happen on a tv Baking Programme...hmm

Gracesgran Thu 28-Aug-14 13:38:04

I love the programme but surely, there are many more things to get het up about that really matter. It was a pudding shock

NfkDumpling Thu 28-Aug-14 13:38:49

Just watched on iplayer and Wotsisface did say earlier that his ice cream wasn't freezing at all. And Diane(?) says that it was only out of the freezer 40 seconds tops, that he took it and put it in the right freezer. Perhaps it wouldn't have frozen anyway, I've had mixes like that, some things just don't freeze well.

Ana Thu 28-Aug-14 13:42:38

Of course there are many more things to get het up about, Gracesgran! But we can't be dwelling on the wrongs being perpetrated in the world today all the time...

We're allowed a bit of light relief!