Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Before video recorders

(45 Posts)
shabby Sat 16-Aug-14 21:10:38

Was there a programme in the 60s 70s 80s that you had to watch on TV before you went out - or maybe it kept you in. Mine was Ready Steady Go and watching it whilst putting my make- up on before going out for a hopefully great Friday night. The weekend starts here - good times!

granjura Sat 16-Aug-14 21:22:46

We just din't have a TV in my parents' home- when i went to London to work in 1970- they still didn't have one. When we were first married we didn't have one either- we had our first small TV in 1974. My favourite series at the time was Rock Follies- such a shame Julie Covington was hardly ever seen again after that- as she was the best, I think.

chloe1984 Sat 16-Aug-14 21:37:29

Ready Steady Go for me too, just loved Cathy McGowan and I used to wear a thin velvet ribbon in my hair tied into a bow just like her. ( think that's where the resemblance ended) also wore her design of a 'dolly rocker' dress.

Ana Sat 16-Aug-14 21:56:55

Top of the Pops on Thursday evening, before heading off to the local Locarno for the 'under 18's night' (we were home by 10 o'clock...!)

ginny Sun 17-Aug-14 08:49:54

As a young teenager I would spend Saturday afternoon with friends (mainly window shopping). We would then all go to one house to get ready for the evening. We watched 'The Monkees' whilst we glammed ourselves up and then off to the youth club ! Hey Hey.

ginny Sun 17-Aug-14 08:50:45

granjura I would love to see a re-run of rock follies.

kittylester Sun 17-Aug-14 08:58:25

There was one night ( may have been Tuesday) when we watched Compact, Zcars and something else which I couldn't bear to miss! But Ready Steady Go was our absolute favourite!

rubylady Sun 17-Aug-14 09:30:27

Noel Edmond's Multicoloured Swap Shop and then Going Live with our Phil and Sarah and then later SMTV:live with Ant and Dec before heading out to go shopping, eating a bowl of cornflakes. Back home to The Generation Game. Pure bliss. grin

vegasmags Sun 17-Aug-14 09:35:58

Another Rock Follies fan here! There are some you tube clips of the RFs, and DVDs available from Amazon.

ninathenana Sun 17-Aug-14 11:55:24

I hadn't read this thread when I posted on the other one about childhood favourite programmes.
DH and I used to watch Swap Shop most Saturdays. Guilty secret though as we were married and in our twenties then grin I had a crush on Noel Edmonds back then shock

KatyK Sun 17-Aug-14 13:58:43

I wanted to BE Cathy McGowan smile Still do actually she looks gorgeous and she's got Michael Ball. grin

NanKate Mon 01-Sep-14 19:29:36

I used to like and be scared of Dr Who as a teenager. Don't bother with it now though. Then I used to doll myself up and head out with my friends.

KatyK I think Michael Ball has gone a bit porky in recent years. hmm

I used to like that pop singer/actor whose name evades me and who was of gypsy/traveller stock if I am allowed to say that. He was soooo good looking. He now looks old and jaded. I'm past my best too, before you ask. grin

I still think Cliff looks good for his age and look forward to hearing the police have dropped their enquiries.

whitewave Mon 01-Sep-14 19:31:29

"quatermass" before confirmation lessons in the evening and then run all the way home in the dark!

annodomini Mon 01-Sep-14 19:48:47

In the late 50s, the whole family gathered round to watch The Six-Five Special, a pop music programme on which we first saw Cliff Richard. We also saw Bill Haley and the Comets, but my favourite at the time was the floppy-haired Tommy Steele. And there was also Frankie Vaughan who sang Green Door long before Shaky Stevens!

whenim64 Mon 01-Sep-14 20:16:47

Ready Steady Go on Friday nights before going out with friends, Top of the Pops on Thursdays round at someone's house. Those programmes were so exciting in the 60s and early 70s. A great era for teenagers.

Ana Mon 01-Sep-14 20:22:07

Think you mean David Essex, NanKate, I used to like him too, thought he was gorgeous! Haven't seen him recently - perhaps just as well...

NanKate Mon 01-Sep-14 21:01:11

Yes Ana you have got the chap. My knees have gone quite wobbly. grin

chloe1984 Mon 01-Sep-14 21:05:17

I follow David Essex on twitter I was / am a great fan.

NanKate Mon 01-Sep-14 21:07:52

Just been looking at some pics of D E and in fact he doesn't look bad now that he is completely grey. His bad period was when he was losing his hair and he let the long bit get longer and the short bit shorter.

Why do some men losing their hair grow ponytails ? I think they are utter plonkers when they do that.

His hair is nicely cut now and he doesn't have a beer gut like so many men now.

Promise that is the end of my rant for tonight.

goldengirl Mon 01-Sep-14 21:19:57

Dr Kildare! I used to tape record the programme (reel to reel) - which Dad placed for me under the television - and then take this heavy machine up to bed with me and play the programme again and again envisaging the scenes. Bliss!

Tegan Mon 01-Sep-14 21:39:58

Love for Lydia. We went to a works do when it was the last episode and had to leave early to see it [think we went back later and also think other people did the same].

janerowena Mon 01-Sep-14 21:43:22

Pah! Down with Dr Kildare!!!

I was allowed to stay up later one night a week only, and to choose the programme to watch for that last hour after my sisters had gone to bed. I chose The Avengers. All was well, until Dr Kildare started up on the other side. My mother loved him and started a campaign to get me to like the soppy man. There was no comparison, feisty Emma Peel's independent role model v. long lingering glances and deaths on the other side. I cried and cried because of course, she won.

NanKate Mon 01-Sep-14 21:47:58

How I agree Tegan 'Love for Lydia' was wonderful. I wonder if it would affect now like it did all those years ago.

J52 Mon 01-Sep-14 22:24:31

Lots of old TV programmes are on YouTube. I'm currently watching The Streets of SanFrancisco. In preparation for my trip there. I don't expect it's changed much!! X

Deedaa Mon 01-Sep-14 23:05:57

I remember having to go to a pantomime when I was a girl guide and missing an episode of Quatermass and the Pit! Disaster! Fortunately it wasn't the final one or I would never have known what happened. If you'd told me then that one day we'd be able to record programmes and watch them again and again I'd never have believed it!