Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Would I look silly ....

(20 Posts)
ninathenana Sat 30-Aug-14 12:19:15

Wearing wedge heeled sandals with my outfit of long skirt and chiffon top to a wedding in October ?
It's in an hotel and we are staying the night before and the night of the wedding, so I won't be outside.

janerowena Sat 30-Aug-14 12:26:43

Years ago I would have said yes, but now - no. The more flesh on show the better, at any time of the year, seems to be the norm - even if it's only your feet!

glammanana Sat 30-Aug-14 12:32:03

Not at all nina you will see other guests wearing lighter clothing and October can be a really warm month with a gathering of people the place will be warm anyway,I know at the reception for my DS2s wedding last year the temperature inside the Hotel was quite warm indeed, we girls have to prove a point and be up to the minute & classy with our outfits don't we.

rubysong Sat 30-Aug-14 13:10:05

If you like them Nina wear them. It's nice to have your toenails a pretty colour if you are wearing sandals. I treated myself to mini pedicure at the start of the summer as I make a mess of I do my own. j

HollyDaze Sat 30-Aug-14 13:36:36

If you like them Nina wear them

I agree with that comment - your choice doesn't sound at all out of place to me and, in fact, sounds quite nice smile

Mishap Sat 30-Aug-14 13:54:01

If you feel comfortable then that is all that matters - to heck with someone thinking you look silly - their problem not yours.

ninathenana Sat 30-Aug-14 15:43:16

ruby my top is fuchsia and I intend painting fingers and toes to match grin
I feel something other than flats is called for. I don't own shoes with heels so my sandals it is !

rosequartz Sat 30-Aug-14 16:02:31

nina I am going to be the nasty friend here:

If you are wearing something floaty and lovely would a pair of slimmer heeled sandals look prettier?
www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2711289/I-hate-WEDGES-From-Kate-Joan-Collins-s-wearing-But-AMANDA-PLATELL-says-wedges-turn-elegant-woman-heffalump.html

Ignore me if you like, I am not very fasionable anyway. smile

janerowena Sat 30-Aug-14 17:24:39

There are wedges, and there are Wedges. I have some lovely low-ish discreet narrow ones, nothing like those. They just make your legs look a bit longer, if they are the right colour.

Deedaa Sat 30-Aug-14 22:22:41

Since when has Amanda Platell been a fashion guru? I think your outfit sounds very suitable nina I'm presuming that your sandals WON'T be the massive platform sole type - I think we all had enough of them in the 70's! According to Trinny and Susannah when they were doing What Not To Wear wedges are particularly flattering if you haven't got the slimmest ankles in the world.

rosequartz Sat 30-Aug-14 22:26:07

I did say I hadn't a clue blush

Whatever you wear will look lovely, nina

blush and beats a hasty retreat.

Oh dear ........

ninathenana Sat 30-Aug-14 23:06:31

rose don't worry, you gave your opinion which is what I was asking for. I would love to wear a slim heel unfortunately being +size I don't think they would survive the day grin

rosequartz Sat 30-Aug-14 23:11:21

Well, I nearly always wear flats, the heels I wore for DD1's wedding ended up behind the bar and I wore a pair of flat sandals for the evening!

So just ignore me.

Coolgran65 Sat 30-Aug-14 23:27:33

I agree with Janerowena - there are wedges... and there are wedges.

I did the same as rosequartz - At my DSs wedding my lowish heels ended up under the table and I wore my flat strappy 3 year old (but pretty) sandals for the evening.

NfkDumpling Sun 31-Aug-14 06:24:57

If you like them and they're comfortable - wear them. It's far more important not to have a permenantly pained expression.

KatyK Sun 31-Aug-14 10:27:34

I have a lovely pair of wedges which I have worn throughout the summer. Not to high but high-ish. I love them.

Nonu Sun 31-Aug-14 11:06:52

Wedges are so very comfortable as well aren"t they KATY?
smile

Nonu Sun 31-Aug-14 11:08:51

I bought a really lovely pair from" Clarks" in Beige , they are VERY flattering !

smile

janerowena Sun 31-Aug-14 11:54:13

For weddings, I always take a pretty pair of ballerina pumps and swap them for my heels when I have had enough. My niece is getting married next year, and I have already hit the sales for an outfit and two pairs of shoes. Now I am panicking in case the fashions change drastically over the next year, as it isn't a casual wedding!

Moonlightwalks Sun 31-Aug-14 18:11:25

I too think comfort first, looks second. It is the Bride's day and all eyes should be on her anyway! But for me matching toe, finger and top sounds elegant and well thought out - fantastic. Matching handbag borrowed from friend too?