Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Nail Varnish names

(28 Posts)
DeeTales Fri 18-Jul-14 18:25:14

Am I the only one who thinks the new Rimmel Rita Ora range of nail varnish names are abit...hmmm 'off colour '? Lose your Lingerie and Orgasm.
Or am I out of touch? old fashioned ? But with 7 fashionable granddaughters I thought I was aware of trends. What say you ?

Treebee Fri 18-Jul-14 22:16:57

Really? That's shocking considering that nail varnish is used by girls of any age.
I stick to Leighton Denny with names like Femme Fatale and No Comment.

DeeTales Tue 22-Jul-14 02:19:55

I contacted the Coty company re my concerns. They have come back to state that Rita Ora uses her own selection of names relating to various emotions, her personality etc., etc., like joy, happiness, seduction!! Get the picture...but they have agreed to pass on my comments. Just wonder where you draw the line. Will look out for other names - if I can be bothered.

suebailey1 Tue 22-Jul-14 09:00:54

I used to love a Jessica one called Red Vines or as the beautician used to say Red Veins- for toes I hasten to add a bit much for finger nails I only like clear or a pale beige for those when I bother to do it that is.

Anne58 Tue 22-Jul-14 09:56:33

My toes are currently Rimmel Double Decker. No prizes for guessing what colour that is! My finger nails are practically non existent, so don't bother with them.

I do agree about the rather unfortunate names though.

Purpledaffodil Tue 22-Jul-14 10:05:53

My toes are M and S Putty. I thought it was a rather lovely pinky grey. Then somebody remarked that she had that colour and it had been described on her as Corpse. Just cannot feel the same about it now sad
Do agree re inappropriate naming though. It smacks of seeing just how much you can get away with.

annodomini Tue 22-Jul-14 11:19:07

OPI names are really off the wall! I have: 'I'm not really a waitress'; 'Lincoln Park at midnight';'Louvre me, Louvre me not';'Do you lilac it?' And one simply called DS Ruby. hmm Some of these are probably past their usable date, and my nails have been so manky recently that I've only been using a protein treatment on them. I like the very dark ones on my toes.

rosesarered Tue 22-Jul-14 20:37:33

I agree that some of those nail colours have very iffy names.Surprised at Rimmel to be honest in agreeing to them.Sometimes it's hard to find that nail colours are 'named' often it's simply numbers. Am wearing an Avon colour on my toes , I always wear an orange-y red on them in Summer but there isn't a name or a number on the bottle!I just wear a Rimmel 'strong nail' shine on my fingernails unless going somewhere special.I think they would sell more if they had great names, in fact I would name this Avon prowear+ I am wearing now as Flame, or Sunset in Tangier, or Firecracker.

rosesarered Tue 22-Jul-14 20:40:25

purpledaffodil I would rename your 'putty' as Ashes Of Roses.I'm really getting into this nail varnish naming now. grinI shall offer my services to Rimmel. All lovely rather old fashioned names that appeal [to me at least.]

rosesarered Tue 22-Jul-14 20:41:37

In fact, a plummy nail colour could well be Purple Daffodil.

rosesarered Tue 22-Jul-14 20:42:07

A red one Roses Are Red.

rosesarered Tue 22-Jul-14 20:42:43

A green one Green Finch. You get the idea.

Purpledaffodil Tue 22-Jul-14 21:45:18

Very good Rosesarered grin. Your names are preferable and you deserve that job. Sadly they might be a tad respectable though. Rimmel may want to sex them up a bit.smile

Soutra Tue 22-Jul-14 23:29:52

I like Nails Inc's use of London street names. inoffensive even if I can't see any connection.

rosesarered Wed 23-Jul-14 10:05:21

Thanks purple smile Soutra London street names for nail colours? Bizarre. Inoffensive, true, but meaningless.However I would always buy Regent Street rather than Euston Road.

AnneMaria Wed 23-Jul-14 14:40:58

Have to agree. Not a prude but there are no sacred lines anymore.

Maggiemaybe Wed 23-Jul-14 15:21:45

At least Nails Inc'll never run out of new ones. I don't know how they decide what's what - I have a very murky grey called The Thames, which seems a bit mean, but Greenwich Park is a sparkly silver. I'd have named the greens after parks.

rosesarered Wed 23-Jul-14 19:07:19

Yes maggie so would I have done. So what have they called the green nail colours? Plane trees? When I wasyounger and blue and green nail colours were all the rage [about 1969] I once had pale blue polish on and an Aunt said I looked like I had a heart condition!

Maggiemaybe Wed 23-Jul-14 20:22:12

Ah yes, I treated myself to a bang on trend black nail varnish in the early 70s and got some very negative comments - one of my fellow students (not of my feminist persuasion!) said that her boyfriend would go mad if she turned up wearing that! tbshock I have a deep green sparkly Nails Inc - it's called Lyall Street. tbconfused

Loving the new tartan bunnet icons, GN! tbsmile

Deedaa Wed 23-Jul-14 20:39:57

I've got several of the Nails Inc ones and I've never been able to make any connection between the names and the colours confused

Nandee Thu 24-Jul-14 16:49:23

Hi
I am a newbee and this conversation reminds me of when BHS in Kingston renamed their underwear department and for a very short time was it was called"Intimate Apparel". Would love to know what happened but it quickly became lingerie again.

rosesarered Thu 24-Jul-14 17:37:55

Hi Nandee welcome to the forum, and to our deep intellectual debate on nail colour names [we are way too academic on here.] grin
Intimate Apparel? That's ridiculous isn't it?Lingerie is a lovely word anyway.Wonder what it's called in USA? Underpinnings?
I think [sadly] that my names for nail colours are a bit staid, so I will have to think of some slightly sexier ones.

rosesarered Thu 24-Jul-14 17:50:18

Black Lace black [obviously]
Cafe Noir black
Thunderclouds grey
Lightning Strike silver
Lemon Merangue lemon
Steamy Sunset orange
Eco Warrior green
Purple Haze err, purple
White Noise white
Emerald Isle bright green
Diamonds Are Forever sparkly silver
Black Cougar black [for cougars]
Plum Passion plum
Hot To Trot scarlet [of course]
Bad Babe wine colour
Etc. I'm sure you could all do better than me, so have a go?

annodomini Thu 24-Jul-14 18:07:16

One of my favourite OPI ones is 'Central Park After Dark'. At least you know more or less what you're getting. Wonder where I've put it... tbhmm

rosesarered Thu 24-Jul-14 18:11:26

Under your Scottish bonnet anno? smile