Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Adspeak

(9 Posts)
Elegran Sat 17-Feb-24 09:31:30

I think this local advertiser on Facebook is a beauty therapist- "Hey everyone! I am an aesthetics practitioner and looking for models to grow my portfolio . . ! " or maybe just an ordinary beautician.

eddiecat78 Sat 17-Feb-24 09:37:50

Similarly all shop assistants are now colleagues; and all secretaries are administrators

Witzend Sat 17-Feb-24 09:45:40

Well, it’s all right to call shop assistants colleagues, if that’s what they are.
But a sign in my local Asda some years ago read, ‘If you can’t find what you want.* Please ask a colleague.’

(*their full stop.)

I was very tempted to go to Customer Services with a fake puzzled expression, and ask how my colleague at work 2 miles away was supposed to know where I could find the red chilli paste.
(But I desisted.)

grandtanteJE65 Fri 23-Feb-24 14:28:46

I don't mind how the good lady chooses to describe her work, or herself, but I rather object to the thought of her setting models to grow portfolios!

In my mind's eye I see a field where glamourous Barbie-doll like models in make-up, short skirts and high heels are hoeing long lines of cardboard portfolios.

welbeck Fri 23-Feb-24 14:37:04

that is the usual term in USA.

Mizuna Fri 23-Feb-24 14:47:35

I live above a beauty salon. The owner markets herself as 'a make-up artist' which says it all. No fancy words!

jenpax Fri 23-Feb-24 15:37:19

If people want to use different job titles it hurts nobody

winterwhite Fri 23-Feb-24 16:04:39

I can't remember what word we used before colleague took over - 'ask the assistant over there'? There was an uncertain spell of co-worker but in this country associated most with earnest journalism.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 23-Feb-24 17:39:21

grandtanteJE65

I don't mind how the good lady chooses to describe her work, or herself, but I rather object to the thought of her setting models to grow portfolios!

In my mind's eye I see a field where glamourous Barbie-doll like models in make-up, short skirts and high heels are hoeing long lines of cardboard portfolios.

grin