Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Not a British company

(14 Posts)
Justwidowed Sat 14-Oct-23 20:18:51

Lidl are now advertising British apples.

"So how do you like THEM apples "

Siope Sat 14-Oct-23 20:41:17

It’s a famous quote from the film Good Will Hunting.

Callistemon21 Sat 14-Oct-23 20:44:33

We’re Big on British.
At Lidl, we’re Big on freshness in every bite, Big on British produce and very Big on squeezing as much of it as we can onto our plates. Whether it’s our crunchy Norfolk carrots or an avalanche of plump, nutty Jersey Royals, we’ll find room!

I like them.

Blossoming Sat 14-Oct-23 21:36:36

Me too Callistemon

Grammaretto Sat 14-Oct-23 21:38:20

In Scotland Lidl are big on Scottish too.
Their marketing is excellent 👍.

RosiesMaw Sat 14-Oct-23 22:01:09

Siope

It’s a famous quote from the film Good Will Hunting.

✔️

Theexwife Sat 14-Oct-23 22:19:31

From Reddit: expression “how do you like them apples” is often used as a way to mock or tease someone after gaining some kind of victory over them, or after they receive surprising information.

Numerous online sources suggest the expression comes from World War I. The word “apple” was a nickname for certain grenades and mortars that were used in trench warfare at the time. For instance, there was a 2 inch medium trench mortar that was nicknamed “toffee apple” because it looked like an apple on a stick.

However, according to the Early Sports and Pop Culture History Blog, the expression was used before the First World War, dating back to at least the year 1895. For example, it appears in the newspaper The Eagle, September 26, 1895:

“Bryan is the best cotton market in this section of the state and has received more cotton than any other town in this section. How do you like them apples?'”

Justwidowed Sat 14-Oct-23 23:30:19

I didn't realise it was from a quote.When I read it on tv tonight the bad grammar hit me. I do shop at Lidl occasionally but it's awkward on public transport.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 16-Oct-23 14:23:07

I imagine shopping on public transport is well-nigh impossible!

Sorry, I just could not resist poking fun at you, but I do know what you mean.

Witzend Wed 18-Oct-23 09:34:30

I’d never heard of it as a quote, so it’d really grate on me.

nanna8 Wed 18-Oct-23 09:50:08

Wish we had Lidl, you lucky ducks. All we get is Costco which has got very expensive lately.

Callistemon21 Wed 18-Oct-23 09:59:19

nanna8

Wish we had Lidl, you lucky ducks. All we get is Costco which has got very expensive lately.

Have you got an Aldi near you?

Very similar to Lidl.

nanna8 Wed 18-Oct-23 10:11:24

Yes , Aldi is good but their prices are going up now, too. Lidl was coming but they pulled the plug at the last minute , apparently because too much competition from Aldi.

AreWeThereYet Wed 18-Oct-23 13:37:43

Our closest Lidl closed down recently, which surprised me as whenever I went in there (which admittedly wasn't that often) it was very busy.