Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

All is good now

(12 Posts)
Greta Sat 29-Jul-23 11:02:46

The standard answer to "how are you?" now seems to be "good". Several times I've heard " you did good" when praising somebody. Does this mean we now say " good done"? I know language changes but this is just lazy.

Witzend Sat 29-Jul-23 11:11:54

I really don’t like it. Always tempted to reply to ‘I’m good’ with ‘I wasn’t asking whether you’d been behaving badly,’
But I never have.

I don’t know what happened to, ‘Fine, thanks.’
Of course it’s down to American usage on TV/films. Or should I say ‘movies’ now?

Baggs Sat 29-Jul-23 11:16:40

I use "Fine, thanks. You?" and "I'm good, thanks. You?"

It's not meant to be a heavily meaningful greeting. It's just really saying Hi or Good Morning. I don't get all the angst about it.

"You done good" is something I've heard more than once and by which I'm also untroubled.

Meaning is what matters.

Baggs Sat 29-Jul-23 11:18:55

People might as well complain about why we don't say "How do you do?" any more.

I seem to remember "Hi" being frowned upon years ago.

Baggs Sat 29-Jul-23 11:20:49

Once, I even had someone 'correct' my Hello. Apparently it was supposed to be Hallo.

🙄

Chill, dudes! 😂

Witzend Sat 29-Jul-23 11:26:47

I must say that if I ever heard my Gdcs come out with ‘You done good’ I’d be down on them like a ton of bricks. (Well, probably more like a ton of feathers, but you know what I mean.)

And so would their parents. Without a doubt.

Blossoming Sat 29-Jul-23 11:33:48

I may say “I’m good, thanks.” if someone offers me something that I don’t want or need. For example if offered a second cup of tea when I’ve just finished one. It’s much quicker than saying “No thank you I have had an ample sufficiency”.

So far no bricks or feathers have landed on my head grin

Greta Sat 29-Jul-23 11:42:09

If somebody says :"you done good" I know what they mean. But I don't agree that it's meaning that counts and therefore we can ignore accuracy. Surely that's a dangerous road to go down.

Baggs Sat 29-Jul-23 12:45:18

Witzend

I must say that if I ever heard my Gdcs come out with ‘You done good’ I’d be down on them like a ton of bricks. (Well, probably more like a ton of feathers, but you know what I mean.)

And so would their parents. Without a doubt.

Why? If that is common parlance in their milieu?

All kids, pretty much, use language in ways their parents and grandparents didn't. Most of it is harmless and so long as they don't use it formally, it's not a problem.

Baggs Sat 29-Jul-23 12:47:53

Greta

If somebody says :"you done good" I know what they mean. But I don't agree that it's meaning that counts and therefore we can ignore accuracy. Surely that's a dangerous road to go down.

If the meaning of what we say doesn't count we're lost!

As an Ecuadorian friend once said to me when he wasn't sure his English was quite right: "Listen to the meaning, not the words." He was right. His English was also very good as it happens.

dragonfly46 Sat 29-Jul-23 12:49:46

I am with Baggs on this!

grandtanteJE65 Sat 29-Jul-23 13:02:49

Greta

The standard answer to "how are you?" now seems to be "good". Several times I've heard " you did good" when praising somebody. Does this mean we now say " good done"? I know language changes but this is just lazy.

This one crops up regularly.

Answering the polite greeting "How are you?" with "I am good, thank you." is quite usual and has been all my life in the west of Scotland, even although "good" usually denotes behaviour or moral attitudes even there.

"You did good" is acceptable American English and presumably became so because immigrants from the Netherlands, Germany or Scandinavia translated directly from their mother tongues, It jars on me, I admit, but to others it is perfectly normal usage.