Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

This from the BBC website

(20 Posts)
CountessFosco Tue 28-Mar-23 13:35:05

Nicki Chapman helps a buyer with a budget of £450,000 escape her ex-council flat in south London so her and her daughter can start a new life in the Wiltshire countryside

Today's EtotheC

FannyCornforth Tue 28-Mar-23 13:38:55

Deary me, that’s an ugly sentence!

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 28-Mar-23 13:40:09

Standards are a thing of the past.

Witzend Tue 28-Mar-23 13:48:35

It would seem that the Beeb has been dumbing down for some time - presenters who can’t (won’t) say their Ts, etc. Sometimes I wonder whether presenters who wouldn’t normally do it are told to drop a few Ts on purpose, to avoid sounding too MC/posh.

NorthFace Tue 28-Mar-23 14:05:06

I'm looking at it now. It says:

Nicki Chapman helps a buyer with a budget of £450,000 who wants to escape her ex-council flat in south London and create a new life in the Wiltshire countryside. She’s after somewhere with a bit more space for herself and her young daughter. Taking a breather from property, Nicki also discovers why the county’s chalk streams are the perfect habitat for trout when she pays a visit to a sustainable fish farm.

Sounds fine to me.

CountessFosco Tue 28-Mar-23 14:06:03

We were taught to leave out the intermittent phrase to see whether the sentence is grammatically correct or not.
If you then say " in south London so her can start a new life", this shouldn't be too difficult should it?`

FannyCornforth Tue 28-Mar-23 14:08:15

I thought that it was ‘her and her daughter’ which was problematic; but it isn’t in the passage quoted by NorthFace

OurKid1 Tue 28-Mar-23 14:13:03

CountessFosco

Nicki Chapman helps a buyer with a budget of £450,000 escape her ex-council flat in south London so her and her daughter can start a new life in the Wiltshire countryside

Today's EtotheC

I'm usually really pedantic about such things, but I can't see anything wrong with it! Maybe I'm getting less fussy in my old age.

welbeck Tue 28-Mar-23 14:19:13

OurKid1,
it should be, she and her daughter....
but, it seems it was misquoted anyway, and that incorrect phrase does not appear, see NorthFace above.
unless it has been amended since the error was noticed

Ashcombe Tue 28-Mar-23 14:19:38

Here is the link, with which I cannot find fault:-

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001kjvb

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 28-Mar-23 14:43:55

NorthFace’s quotation and Ash’s link are both fine. It’s just yours which is incorrect Countess - can you post a link?

CountessFosco Tue 28-Mar-23 16:29:20

www.radiotimes.com/programme/b-72102r/escape-to-the-country-season-23/?episode=b-xi1oh4

Jaxjacky Tue 28-Mar-23 16:44:58

Not owned or produced by the BBC but Immediate Media.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 28-Mar-23 16:49:48

Thanks for the link Countess. As Jacjacky says, this is one error for which we can’t blame the BBC, but they’re certainly guilty of lowering standards.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 03-Apr-23 13:25:40

It should be " she and her daughter" as they are the subject of the clause, not "her and her daughter".

Apart from that the sentence is unwieldy, but grammatically correct.

Sparklefizz Mon 03-Apr-23 13:34:42

Witzend

It would seem that the Beeb has been dumbing down for some time - presenters who can’t (won’t) say their Ts, etc. Sometimes I wonder whether presenters who wouldn’t normally do it are told to drop a few Ts on purpose, to avoid sounding too MC/posh.

Tony Blair adopted the glottal "T" to sound more "man of the people".

LadyGracie Mon 03-Apr-23 16:06:29

What about the missin’ G’s?

eazybee Mon 03-Apr-23 16:55:12

It is 'her and her daughter' which grates; you wouldn't say 'so her can start a new life' whereas 'she/ and her daughter/ can start a new life' reads well.

Elegran Mon 03-Apr-23 17:07:02

OurKid1

CountessFosco

Today's EtotheC

I'm usually really pedantic about such things, but I can't see anything wrong with it! Maybe I'm getting less fussy in my old age.

If you ignore "her daughter" for the moment, would you say "So that her can start a new life"? No, you would say "So that her can start a new life"

It should be "She and her daughter", because the two people together are jointly the ones who "can start a new life".

Elegran Mon 03-Apr-23 17:09:59

Oh, good heavens. I copied "So that her can start a new life" from the first sentence, then pasted it into the second without changing it to "she" !!! Moral - ^check before you press "post message" Sorry!