Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Pop-up adverts

(15 Posts)
Ali08 Mon 24-Oct-22 13:30:19

I swear they're happening more often!
Just these last few minutes that I've been reading through GN, I've done more clicking of the 'X' to get rid of annoying things popping up and taking over my screen, than I have actually reading anything!
If the (oooh gosh I want to rant & rave & swear my head off because of them) man who thought they'd be a good idea was beside me right now, I swear I'd murder him. But I think, though I may be wrong, that he actually died....leaving his damnationous (ooh, is that actually a word?) inventions here to exasperate us even more!!!

Ali08 Mon 24-Oct-22 13:34:48

Oh no, here he is, he's still alive. He's 49.
And doesn't he look pleased with himself?
I bet he has a fantastic pop-up blocker!!

grandtanteJE65 Mon 24-Oct-22 14:30:36

As far as I know the word "damnationous" does not exist, the correct one is damnable, but damnationous does sound stronger, doesn't it?

And it isn't worse than any of the other new words coming into use, is it?

Pop-up blockers don't seem to be a feature of Internet browsers any more. I don't remember seeing one since AltaVista went out of use, many moons ago.

If anyone does know of a good one, please post the information, as I would love one.

Likewise advice on how to stop Amazon Prime assuming I want to subscribe just because I order something via Amazon.de!

yggdrasil Mon 24-Oct-22 15:21:06

I use AdBlock

Ali08 Sat 29-Oct-22 16:37:37

Thank you, grandtanteJE65, I really wasn't sure but I'm glad you like it!
yggdrasil, I will give that a try. Gransnet is absolutely full of pop-ups these days and it is very annoying!

Margs Fri 30-Dec-22 04:20:13

What Ali08 - so that's Mister Pop-Up?

Yeah, he definitely looks like he's short of something useful to do with his life!

(yes,I know I shouldn't make innacurate assumptions based on looks but I really want to make this bloke an exception.)

Juliet27 Fri 30-Dec-22 04:25:49

yggdrasil

I use AdBlock

So do I

silverlining48 Sat 20-May-23 08:36:46

Where do I find Adblock? These pop ups every few seconds are driving me mad,

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 20-May-23 08:44:59

Mine have now all stopped, I downloaded the Ad Blocker, but they still snuck in for a couple of days after.
Maybe GN has taken them off? Or the Ad blocker really works?

silverlining48 Sat 20-May-23 08:46:58

Is Adblocker an app?

annodomini Sat 20-May-23 09:40:21

Google "Adblock" and you will be able to download it. I've been using it for years. Some publications - newspapers especially - won't allow you to read them if Adblock is on, so it's possible to tell the app to make an exception for them if you really want to read them.

silverlining48 Sat 20-May-23 10:08:34

I am trying now but there are so many to choose from. Obvs don’t want to pay....

silverlining48 Sat 20-May-23 10:14:51

I have an oldish iPhone SE there seem to be different ad blockers for different devices. Confused.com smile

Sarah76 Sat 20-May-23 10:20:56

AdGuard (free app) seems to work for me

Grantanow Sat 20-May-23 11:34:45

Adblock works well.