Gransnet forums

Chat

We STILL need a philosophy forum

(177 Posts)
thatbags Sat 30-Aug-14 11:45:38

for stuff like this which, BTW, is superb.

suebailey1 Sat 30-Aug-14 11:47:46

perhaps there is one

thatbags Sat 30-Aug-14 11:50:16

I'm not aware of one on gransnet, sb. That's what I meant. This is the Other Subjects forum. Although religions are mentioned in the quote above, this isn't about religion but about a (discussable) philosophical outlook on life.

janerowena Sat 30-Aug-14 12:22:58

It could certainly turn into a very interesting 'debate'.

It's a wonderful idea, but there will always be people who wish to be seen as different, not like the common herd. I only have to watch our own village try to sort out who is going to head up the village panto to see how wars break out, and 'Who believes in Who'. All religions have their little breakaway groups or sects, all because someone didn't quite agree with one concept of a religion and went off in a huff.

HollyDaze Sat 30-Aug-14 13:21:42

I agree, a philosophy forum would be good.

ffinnochio Sat 30-Aug-14 13:26:47

I really like this idea, so I'm all for it. I'm also sure I'll learn a lot. smile

As an aside, I've been thinking recently about the concept of debate. I haven't had a lot of experience of it in reality, apart from gentle discussions around the supper table. I think on-line debating requires a certain (and different ?) skill in it's approach and execution.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 30-Aug-14 13:51:02

No we don't.

And the link is codswallop.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 30-Aug-14 13:52:16

That was skill wunnit finn? grin

whenim64 Sat 30-Aug-14 13:56:06

I like the idea of a philosophy forum, too. Good illustration, bags. I would 'enjoy' picking the bones out of such comments without having to react to a current incident that polarises views before the debate has developed.

Brendawymms Sat 30-Aug-14 14:12:55

Think he is making big assumptions with the words violence and violent. It's not an inevitable conclusion. Would a pacifist who stated their faith and culture be automatically considered violent. They would by his hypothesise.
Cows are black and white
Collies are black and white
Therefore a collie is a cow and a cow is a collie.
grin

ffinnochio Sat 30-Aug-14 14:19:00

J grin. Good to see you again.

Galen Sat 30-Aug-14 14:28:37

Could be amusing

thatbags Sat 30-Aug-14 14:37:29

Yes, he is making assumptions. But his gumption is right, I think. Obviously it's a very generalised statement he's making but I think, like many 'soundbites', it contains the essence of truth about labels, about why people use them and what they do to others' perceptions of a 'labelled' person, whether the label is applied by the person themselves or by somebody else.

I think he's saying that the fewer labels a person has, the fewer assumptions others make about them before they really know them.

whenim64 Sat 30-Aug-14 14:50:23

Yes, I agree - it's a human instinct tendency to compartmentalise (or should we debate that?) and see people as like me/not like me, when there is more to take in.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 30-Aug-14 16:01:37

It's just not realistic. And why would you want to go along with it?

If you are a Muslim, why not call yourself one?

I am an Anglo/European Christian mother and grandmother. Oh, and a woman. (Is that allowed?)

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 30-Aug-14 16:02:16

And a wife! (nearly forgot that one)

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 30-Aug-14 16:09:10

I bet he had some woman doing his shopping, cooking and cleaning for him hmm

rosequartz Sat 30-Aug-14 16:21:18

Well, I think it is rubbish and agree with brenda

I have therefore set myself apart from him and all who agree with him, therefore I must be violent.

Philosophical enough?

Aka Sat 30-Aug-14 16:44:14

I don't see the need. We can always philosophise on existing forums if we wish to surely?

Ana Sat 30-Aug-14 16:49:35

And whatever the forum's called, there's certainly no guarantee that the scenario when envisages - I would 'enjoy' picking the bones out of such comments without having to react to a current incident that polarises views before the debate has developed. - would actually be realised! confused

janerowena Sat 30-Aug-14 17:02:38

I was just thinking the same thing! grin

If we had such a forum, we would have to agree to no personal remarks, though. All terms such as stupid, thick, airhead, fluffybrains and nothingbetweentheears would have to be kept out of it. Sadly.

Elegran Sat 30-Aug-14 17:05:58

How about arrogant, opinionated, one-track-minded, and pig ignorant? Would they be banned too?

janerowena Sat 30-Aug-14 17:12:00

I would hope so!

On my board I have a very useful little tool. I can enter in all the swear words or rude words that people have found offensive and caused major upsets. Life has been so much calmer since then. Especially since I discovered that I can substitute those rude words with terms of endearment, such as 'my precious, sweetheart, light of my life' and other such rage deflators. grin

Ana Sat 30-Aug-14 17:14:00

Not sure that would work on here, janerowena, especially when feelings are running high! grin

annodomini Sat 30-Aug-14 17:20:29

I too would like to see a philosophy forum here, and would also like to be assured that there would be no knee-jerk reactions such as we have already seen on this thread.