Gransnet forums

News & politics

Cliff Richard - shock!

(188 Posts)
kittylester Thu 14-Aug-14 14:15:00

I heard on the 1 o'clock news that police are searching the Berkshire home of Cliff Richard regarding an alleged sex offence with a boy, aged under 16, dating back to the 1980's.

DD3 aged 27 is in shock and was heard to say 'What is the world coming to, it will be Terry Wogan and Bruce Forsyth next!'

It will be interesting to see whether the fact that it has been reported on television brings any more victims to the fore.

merlotgran Thu 16-Jun-16 22:25:46

The opening bars of 'Move It' remind me of my first weekend home from boarding school. My brother was playing it as I walked in the door and I briefly changed allegiance from Elvis to Cliff.

Anniebach Thu 16-Jun-16 22:17:40

And I prefer Willie Neleon

Jomarie Thu 16-Jun-16 22:05:09

Nice one whitewave grin

whitewave Thu 16-Jun-16 21:57:00

I prefered Elvis

numberplease Thu 16-Jun-16 21:40:00

Sorry *Breeze, I LOVE Mistletoe and Wine!

POGS Thu 16-Jun-16 17:32:07

The problem is there is a seemingly open desire in a lot of cases for the 'Kangaroo Court' syndrome.

You have to look no further than the failed attempts to discredit the reputations of the likes of Leon Brittan/Christopher Jeferries for example. It's a very difficult call to make as on one hand it is a travesty of justice to name without enough evidence and the other hand says but it might bring forward potential witnesses. Both fall flat on their face when it is tantamount to a withch hunt or as with Cliff so openly collusion on behalf of the Police with the press from the outset when entering his home.

I will not argue that the wording in such apologies if taken literally verges on vocal dexterity but it is now so common place I do see it as 'a conclusion' and a statement of all innocence.

breeze Thu 16-Jun-16 17:14:44

We'll have to agree to disagree musically but I'm with you on what's happened to him (and others) re the slur on his reputation Nonnie. It was very wrong to make it public before any proof.

Nonnie1 Thu 16-Jun-16 17:05:47

Breeze well you should it's really lovely

Some people eh?

breeze Thu 16-Jun-16 16:56:16

Sorry Nonnie. Can't bear to click on the link. Please don't make me! It could be the dreaded Christmas song, shiver, it could be the one where he is dressed all in leather bopping away with a bit of designer stubble, or, da da da, singing Summer Holiday all jolly. My ears, my ears!!!

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 16-Jun-16 16:55:10

Oh shoot! No record player. [smle]

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 16-Jun-16 16:54:42

I've still got Livin' Doll on vinyl. I'll play that over and over.

Anya Thu 16-Jun-16 16:53:34

I'm no Cliff fan, but what happened to innocent unless proved guilty?

breeze Thu 16-Jun-16 16:52:58

jingle, you'll just have to be subjected to listening to Mistletoe and Wine, several times, or, maybe lots of times, over and over, as atonement for your crimes! Tee hee.

Nonnie1 Thu 16-Jun-16 16:52:49

It's like he's been tarred but not feathered.
Don't name until there is conclusive evidence is what I say, then when there is none, there's no real harm done to a person's reputation.

Whenever his name gets mentioned now it will be this that springs to mind first, and I have to say there is one of his songs that is in my all time favourites and I'm not a fan.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfky_Av_ApY

It's wonderful

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 16-Jun-16 16:50:32

Look! I rarely think of the sodding man The Sainted Cliff, at all. So leave orf!!! hmm

Anniebach Thu 16-Jun-16 16:49:09

True .jungle, I don't want people thinking like you but sadly they do

Anya Thu 16-Jun-16 16:48:14

I see Cliff has put a statement out on Facebook. I agree that people should not be named until there is enough evidence for a prosecution. Accusations are not evidence.

Sadly some people will still believe there's 'no smoke without fire' .....which scientifically is untrue.

breeze Thu 16-Jun-16 16:45:55

My 'agree' was with Deedaa btw. That's the trouble when messages coming in 'willy nilly'! Everyone is entitled to their opinion jingly. As in my musical tastes!

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 16-Jun-16 16:40:51

Oh God! You don't want anyone thinking like I do anniebach. grin

breeze Thu 16-Jun-16 16:32:02

Agree, and not only for Cliff; the witch hunts in the aftermath of the Saville affair went too far. Guilty until proven innocent it seems. If they did no wrong, people in the public eye will still always be doubted. Wrong, wrong, wrong. And there should be a time limit on prosecutions of this nature. As there are with other crimes. So if you don't report it after a number of years, tough. I am suspicious some of these people aren't just after their 15 mins of fame/compensation. Especially when the person is dead. Why come forward then. Still hope Cliff doesn't start singing about it though.

Anniebach Thu 16-Jun-16 16:28:21

Sadly there will be many who thinks as Jingle does

Deedaa Thu 16-Jun-16 16:11:33

I think Cliff is quite right to complain about the fact that they had named him before they had even interviewed him. Whatever happened to "A 73 year old man is helping police with their enquiries" ? Now Cliff will be left with people saying that it was a cover up because of who he is, which is worse really than going to court and proving it one way or another.

NanKate Thu 16-Jun-16 15:18:47

Welcome back Cliff. Now it is time to get Tony Blackburn's job back.

breeze Thu 16-Jun-16 15:08:20

Should've been prosecuted years ago for assaulting people's ears.

aggie Thu 16-Jun-16 14:30:14

Some chance of being " Innocent till proved Guilty " , maybe we should pull in our horns and give him the benefit of the doubt ?