Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

HMRC not answering phone lines

(7 Posts)
Bea65 Wed 20-Mar-24 12:20:06

So background, retired 2 mths ago...got my P45 ...now HMRC sent a letter re my working tax credits to end...Yes i had informed them online ...in the letter it says to Ring...anyone else having a similar problem...in the media yesterday heard that people who had to submit a tax return would have an extended date to do so...
My other question is: now as a Retiree do I have to submit a tax return for this year?
Thank you wise GNs

BeverleyJB Wed 20-Mar-24 12:35:57

Yesterday HMRC announced that many of the phone helplines would be closed from 8 April until October, and then dealing only with priority cases. However I see that less than 24 hours later that decision was reversed.

Wait times on the helplines are awful and the only tip I can give you is to ring first thing at 8am, make sure you've already been to the bathroom and have a nice thick book on hand to read while you're on hold smile

You have to complete a tax return if HMRC have issued you with a notice to file one or if you have income or gains that need to be taxed - in which case you need to notify HMRC of that fact. If you are due a tax refund, filing a return may be the simplest & quickest way of receiving it.
I have not heard that there is an extension to the filing deadline for tax returns - can't see a reason why that is needed. If you do need/want to complete a tax return for the tax year ending in 5 April 2024, you have until 31 January 2025 to do so (or 3 months after HMRC issue a notice to file, if later).

I can recommend setting yourself up with a Personal Tax Account if you haven't already done so. It's fairly easy to use and covers other benefits too.
HTH

Luckygirl3 Wed 20-Mar-24 12:37:46

I think there has been a change of heart about the phone lines being closed.

Menopause Wed 20-Mar-24 12:51:07

I was on hold for 1hr & 13 minutes getting through to HMRC, I nearly gave up thinking maybe I was maybe lost in the holding system!!
A very long wait for a 6 minute conversation but worth it to get sorted out with my query. As already said toilet first drink & book at the ready, good luck

Calendargirl Wed 20-Mar-24 13:23:40

Why on earth don’t they think these decisions through before announcing it, then having to back track when surprise, surprise, the general public kick up a fuss?

Do they honestly think that people will say “Oh, great, the phone lines are going to be closed for 6 months of the year”. ?

hmm

Astitchintime Wed 20-Mar-24 13:26:20

Oh for the days when almost every town and city had a Tax Office.

Bea65 Wed 20-Mar-24 17:56:21

I love all your Loo tips.. as do have frequent ones.. I competed online the change in circumstances but still received a letter… think Government departments are in a parallel universe to most of us … it’s a crazy world 🤔