Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Bank umbrella companies. FSCS limits

(8 Posts)
karmalady Thu 07-Mar-24 10:33:33

Any banks and building societies under an umbrella are lumped together wrt the FRCS limits, when money is safe up to the FSCS total limit

These umbrella components change from time to time

The latest change is the nationwide takeover of virgin money, which also owns the yorkshire bank and clydesdale banks. Note that yorkshire bank is not the same as yorkshire building society. I have a vested interest as I have isas in yorks bs and some money saved in nationwide. I don`t need to worry but out of interest

moneyfactscompare.co.uk/savings-accounts/guides/uk-banks-who-owns-whom/

Sago Thu 07-Mar-24 10:52:15

Yorkshire Bank and Clydesdale were taken over by National Australia Bank many years ago, they then sold out to Virgin Money.
I will be much happier with nationwide than Virgin Money b

karmalady Thu 07-Mar-24 10:55:07

the umbrella info is about facts and not about liking any bank or bs

Sago Thu 07-Mar-24 11:12:31

karmalady

the umbrella info is about facts and not about liking any bank or bs

I appreciate that, I was really clarifying the YB no longer exists.

TinSoldier Thu 07-Mar-24 11:13:38

Yes, it’s to do with banking licences.

For example, Nationwide also has the brand names of Derbyshire Building Society, Cheshire Building Society, The Derbyshire, Derbyshire Direct, Dunfermline Direct and Dunfermline Building Society, all of which have the same banking licence.

www.fscs.org.uk/making-a-claim/customer-info/banking-licences/

However, [Nationwide and Virgin Money] said Virgin Money would keep operating as a separate legal entity within the Nationwide group, *with a separate board of directors and banking licence.*

www.cityam.com/nationwide-inks-preliminary-2-9bn-deal-to-potentially-acquire-virgin-money/

In other words, if you have money with both, you would have full £85,000 FSCS protection under both.

karmalady Thu 07-Mar-24 11:31:08

They will be operating separately until 2030, when they will then combine fully as nationwide

TinSoldier Thu 07-Mar-24 11:48:35

In that case, there is plenty of notice.

Otherwise the regulator would have to say that savers over £85,000 in the combined group have to be given the option to break or switch, penalty free, to get back within FSCS limits.

karmalady Thu 07-Mar-24 20:33:37

Many people are not aware of the umbrella situation wrt security of savings