Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

PIP Process - Who to Complain To?

(12 Posts)
cannycat1968 Wed 06-Mar-24 11:39:31

I'm hoping this is the right board, I've only just signed up, having lurked for a while.

My partner has had their PIP interview cancelled for the second time this morning, five minutes before it was due to take place (telephone interview). Apparently, according to the unfortunate young man who has the thankless task of telling people this, there was "no one available". (Ironically, partner is an ex health professional and some time ago applied but didn't make the cut for assessors, according to their beyond opaque recruitment process.)

It's been rearranged - though my partner had to ask for it, it certainly wasn't offered - this time over Zoom, apparently the phone system and the Zoom systems don't talk to each other. Last time their "systems were down", allegedly, although we didn't find that out until I phoned in the afternoon.

I can't help feeling this is a deliberate ploy (this is the company known as ATOS, their name change certainly hasn't improved their MO), and we will be complaining.

We have their utterly toothless complaints form from last time, I also spoke to the DWP to raise the fact that there had been no phone call; they weren't interested either (colour me surprised).

Apart from SCOPE, the-company-formerly-known-as-ATOS, our local MP, and the DWP, is there anyone else we can complain to? I am hopping mad bout this, especially as the strain of having to wait all day for a phone call that doesn't come has made partner's heart condition flare up. Last time it happened I actually thought they were going to have another cardiac event.

All (serious) suggestions welcome.

Theexwife Wed 06-Mar-24 12:11:52

I doubt complaining will make any difference, if no one is available then what can be done? There are staff shortages everywhere, the delay will not make much difference as if it PIP is granted it will be back dated and if it is denied then nothing has been lost.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 06-Mar-24 12:16:19

I agree with Theexwife - and I wouldn’t want to get on the wrong side of them at the outset. They have the ability to be very awkward,

MissAdventure Wed 06-Mar-24 13:14:49

www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-for-work-pensions/about/complaints-procedure#guidance-on-how-to-complain

Whiff Wed 06-Mar-24 13:51:50

cannycat just bumped up PIP tribunal hopefully what I went through will help . Plenty of advice from others there.

Debbi58 Wed 06-Mar-24 14:10:24

I had a home visit for mine , it was pre covid. It took me a couple of attempts before I actually got awarded pip. The thing that helped me , besides all my letters from my rheumatologist, was a letter from my occupational therapist, could he request a home visit or don't they do those anymore

DollyRocker Mon 11-Mar-24 16:09:49

They do assessments at home, by video or telephone or at the assessment centre. I wouldn't complain yet! Hold fast until after the assessment ! The centres observe you coming in, the home assessors note everything about your home or how tidy it is etc. They all observe your mental state eg distressed from pain & appearance. They will try to trip you up ie do you walk a dog, go to the hairdressers, how far is your car from your house? They jump around the descriptors and try to confuse you by asking the same questions in different ways. The nicer they seem usually the meaner they are! I was actually awarded PIP. There are lots of FB groups that can help. Good luck.

Cabbie21 Sun 17-Mar-24 16:15:45

Just my opinion, but whilst I understand how stressful and frustrating the process is, a complaint probably won’t achieve anything. The system is not fit for purpose.

The assessment is a step in the process.
If it is a phone call, make sure you record it, and/ you are there as a witness. Ask for a copy of the report about a week after, or as soon as you get the decision, especially if you are not happy with it.
Don’t be surprised if the report seems like it is talking about someone else.
Happy to advise further when you get a decision. If you want to challenge it, you have a month from the date of the decision., not from when the letter arrives. Get help to challenge it ( Mandatory Reconsideration ).

lemsip Sun 17-Mar-24 16:25:21

write/email your MP at House of Commons London asking for an appointment locally.. They all have local 'surgeries'

lemsip Sun 17-Mar-24 16:28:15

nothing will ever change while people do not bother to complain.

Cabbie21 Sun 17-Mar-24 19:49:33

Is it the assessment company ATos or whoever you wish to complain about or the DWP? Different systems.
If you are not sure, you could write to your MP. But I still think you should wait till you have had the assessment. You could have more to add to your complaint.
A relative of mine with severe Mental Health problems was totally freaked out during her assessment in a centre when the process was interrupted by another claimant being ushered into the room to access the only toilet in the building. Totally unacceptable.

nadateturbe Sun 17-Mar-24 20:06:00

lemsip

nothing will ever change while people do not bother to complain.

I agree Lemsip. That isxwhy nothing changes. When I am dissatisfied I complain to my MP and cc it (not separate emails, important to cc it) to my MLA relevant department Patient Care Council and anyone else I can think of. It works.