Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Claiming Pension & Deferred Payment

(17 Posts)
TopSec Thu 22-Feb-24 12:12:21

Afternoon all.

Having been given the runaround by HMRC and other Financial institutions, I am still confused. I am therefore reaching out to you more knowledgeable folk as I am sure one of you will have the answer. Please bear with me if this gets long and convoluted.

I was due my pension in October 2021. Along with the guidelines I did nothing and did not claim my pension.
I have now decided to claim it but HMRC are now telling me that I can only claim 1 year's deferred payment as a lump sum and the balance has to be attached to my monthly payments, giving an additional sum each week.

I was looking forward to receiving the whole of the deferred payments in a larger lump sum and can find nothing on the HMRC web site where it states that 1 year is the maximum. I have even looked on Newspaper Financial Advice and they say lump sums have been abolished, which is not correct either if you can get a lump sum of 1 year's payments.

Whilst I know I won't lose out financially (if I live long enough) but I just want to know what I am entitled to. I know I will be on the higher rate as I was born in 1955. The query is simply about the lump sum.

Hopefully someone on here who has recently been in the same situation will be able to throw some light on this.

I hope the above makes sense.

Any advice from you wise folk would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards
TopSec

GrannyGravy13 Thu 22-Feb-24 12:16:37

As far as I understand that is correct, one years lump sum and any remaining deferred pension added to four weekly amount.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 22-Feb-24 12:18:27

I believe payment of lump sums only applied under the old pension system
www.gov.uk/deferring-state-pension/what-you-get#:~:text=You%20can%20get%20a%20one,12%20months%20in%20a%20row.
I don’t understand why you’re talking about HMRC - the DWP administers the state pension.

keepingquiet Thu 22-Feb-24 12:26:16

As above- your state pension cannot be taken as a lump sum. I didn't defer mine because you can claim it and still work if you want.
I found the whole thing a bit of a minefield to be fair.

TinSoldier Thu 22-Feb-24 13:05:28

You have to claim your state pension so if you did nothing it will have been deferred automatically.

Germanshepherdsmum is correct. There is no lump sum payment if you reach State Pension age on or after 6 April 2016. Instead, your new state pension will increase every week you defer, as long as you defer for at least 9 weeks.

It increases by the equivalent of 1% for every 9 weeks you defer. This works out as just under 5.8% for every 52 weeks. The extra amount is paid with your regular state pension and taxed if your total income exceeds the tax threshold.

It's all explained here:

www.gov.uk/deferring-state-pension/what-you-get

HMRC is only involved to the extent that it levies tax and in cases where people are able to plug gaps in their contribution record by paying voluntary Class 3. You make those payments to HMRC.

www.gov.uk/deferring-state-pension/what-you-get

TopSec Thu 22-Feb-24 13:50:41

Thanks everyone. Now I know what's what. Yes I did mention HMRC by mistake. It was the Government Pension Department that I spoke to - apologies for that. I clearly misunderstood the rules, but no problem. I still work full time so expect to be taxed on it but at least if anything happens to me, it won't just disappear into a Government black hole. Thanks again everyone

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 22-Feb-24 14:23:44

If you die your state pension dies with you. Your spouse or civil partner may be able to receive part of it, depending on circumstances, but this isn’t like a private pension pot.

TopSec Thu 22-Feb-24 16:48:07

Yes I understand that which is one of the reasons I am claiming it now even though I still work full time. You never know when your times up

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 22-Feb-24 16:53:02

Exactly. I claimed mine straight away even though I was still working full time. A bird in the hand …

grace56580 Thu 21-Mar-24 07:38:56

I am due to get my state pension later this year how many months notice should you give ?

TinSoldier Thu 21-Mar-24 08:20:25

Claim when four months from state pension age.

Information here:

www.gov.uk/new-state-pension/how-to-claim

Bonnybanko Thu 21-Mar-24 08:47:14

I deferred my state pension and was sorry I did so I had to pay £6,000 back when I claimed it, and if I had done my research I would have had to live much longer to make it worth my while

Cossy Thu 21-Mar-24 12:00:39

Bonnybanko

I deferred my state pension and was sorry I did so I had to pay £6,000 back when I claimed it, and if I had done my research I would have had to live much longer to make it worth my while

Excuse my ignorance, (I do not reach State Pension age til Dec this year), why did you have to pay £6,000 back?

Callistemon21 Thu 21-Mar-24 12:16:19

Cossy

Bonnybanko

Excuse my ignorance, (I do not reach State Pension age til Dec this year), why did you have to pay £6,000 back?

I've never heard of that 🤔

Astitchintime Thu 21-Mar-24 12:23:01

Callistemon21

Cossy

Bonnybanko

Perhaps Bonnybanko was claiming some sort of benefit that would have automatically ceased at the point of drawing the state pension.

Juliet27 Thu 21-Mar-24 12:26:58

Germanshepherdsmum

Exactly. I claimed mine straight away even though I was still working full time. A bird in the hand …

I did the same

Callistemon21 Thu 21-Mar-24 15:09:45

Astitchintime

Callistemon21

Cossy

Bonnybanko

Perhaps Bonnybanko was claiming some sort of benefit that would have automatically ceased at the point of drawing the state pension.

Oh, yes, that might be it.