Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Over 50’s plan

(12 Posts)
Janburry Mon 12-Feb-24 17:19:17

My mum had just come to live with me, helping sort through her paperwork l came across an over 50’s plan started in 1999 it’s still running and costing £30 a month it’s due to stop when she’s 95 (approximately 6 years) it’s value on completion will be £5,000 she’s paid over £8,000 up to date. My sister wants her to cancel the policy now as she would pay another £2100 Dilemma: cancel policy and cut her loses or carry on begrudgingly. To be honest mum isn’t in the best of health so may not pay for that much longer, sorry if that sounds harsh. I’ve heard of these policies but thought they’d been outlawed

Mel1967 Mon 12-Feb-24 17:21:48

Will she get anything if the policy is cancelled?

Callistemon21 Mon 12-Feb-24 17:27:04

Janburry my MIL had two of these, she must have paid in well over £1,000 on each and the payout was £400 on each after she died.

They really are a scam.

OldFrill Mon 12-Feb-24 17:30:08

The whole scheme is based on a gamble and your mum hasn't won.
This may help
www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/over-50s-life-insurance/#:~:text=You%20could%20pay%20in%20more,sum%20paid%20out%20is%20fixed.

TinSoldier Mon 12-Feb-24 17:34:40

This is general information about these kinds of policies from the SunLife website. This is the company that seems to do most advertising on daytime TV.

Cons

You'll need to pay every month for a set amount of time – you usually pay each month up to a predetermined date, after which the premiums stop, but the cover continues. With some over 50s insurance providers, you pay each month until you die. Some providers offer options to stop paying earlier but may reduce your payout as a result. Be sure to check the details of your plan before you commit.

Waiting period – because insurers don’t ask you any medical questions, they make you wait a period of time before they will payout in full. This waiting period is typically 12 months but can be much longer with some insurers.

You can't miss payments – if you stop paying in the early years of your plan then typically your cover will end, and you won’t get back the money you’ve paid in. Some insurers will allow you to stop paying after a set period, others will allow you to reduce payments or even take a payment holiday.

You could pay in more than the payout – depending on how long you live, you could pay more in premiums than the cash payout. For example, if you took out an over-50s life insurance policy at age 50 and paid £20 a month for £6,000 of cover, you’d have paid more than the cash payout if you live more than 25 years.

You need to check with the provider what they will allow and what the penalties might be.

Sago Mon 12-Feb-24 18:00:47

I had the same dilemma, Carol Voorderman was advertising this policy, it’s a scam!
I continued as otherwise my mother would have lost out.
She was £500 down when she died.

Janburry Tue 13-Feb-24 12:02:50

Thank you all for your input it has given me food for thought, l will have a chat with my sister once I’ve checked out some of the websites suggested smile

Happygirl79 Tue 13-Feb-24 15:15:22

A life assurance plan is a gamble really. You are placing a bet each month when you pay the premium that you will die and the company accepts your bet. They too may lose if you die in the early years but you must remember this is not a savings plan!

MissAdventure Tue 13-Feb-24 15:23:43

I'd cancel without a second thought.

It's not worth what she is paying: she may as well have the money now, while she can use it for things she fancies.

Grantanow Sat 17-Feb-24 11:53:42

And the cash payout is worth less in real terms because of inflation!

OldFrill Sun 18-Feb-24 00:14:40

MissAdventure

I'd cancel without a second thought.

It's not worth what she is paying: she may as well have the money now, while she can use it for things she fancies.

If the plan is cancelled there is no pay out.

Doodledog Sun 18-Feb-24 07:22:07

If the plan is cancelled there is no pay out.
No, but she’ll have the repayments. If they come close to adding up to £5k over the next six years she might be better off cancelling and spending the money on treats. If, on the other hand there is a need for funeral expenses before the policy matures she (or her descendants) would be better off keeping it going.

A tricky one, OP. Personally I would continue to pay in, as death is a certainty and at least there will be some money back when the inevitable happens.