Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Online banking

(12 Posts)
Grandmadinosaur Wed 31-Jan-24 19:39:53

Today I went to my online account to pay the window cleaner. It always asks if it is to pay an existing recipient or someone new. There was also a red arrow under pay someone new and I attach a photo what was there when I clicked on it. It’s HMRC but is it legit? Can anyone advise please.

Callistemon21 Wed 31-Jan-24 19:58:00

Contact your bank asap.

TinSoldier Wed 31-Jan-24 20:10:46

The 08 32 numbers, variously 08 32 00, 08 32 10, 08 32 20 are legitimate sort codes for paying different kinds of tax.

Your screen crop does not however show what is to the right of those. To pay HMRC directly you need a unique tax reference (UTR) number which they must issue to you.

With my own banking app, if I want to pay someone new, the first thing screen I am directed to is a scam check and the first question is: “How did you get the sort code and account number?”

This suggests to me that a bank would not provide a handy list of ready made choices so the presence of these does look suspicious.

Contact your bank.

Marydoll Wed 31-Jan-24 20:15:17

I use my online banking frequently and get asked if it is to pay a bill etc., but I have never seen this before.

It's better to be safe than sorry. Perhaps check with your bank.

Grandmadinosaur Wed 31-Jan-24 20:29:35

Thank you all. I’ve never come across it before either and wondering why if it is from HMRC . Sadly I was just too late to contact them as is past 8pm but I will query it first thing tomorrow.

TinSoldier Wed 31-Jan-24 20:54:31

The number of HMRC scams always rises at this time of year as today is the deadline for filing online tax returns. However, these scams normally come via email, phone or text.

This is different. It could be a malware attached on your mobile phone which has come via an app you may have downloaded, say a QR code reader or a game.

Fraudsters build or buy apps designed for popular everyday uses then infect them with a virus that invades every part of your handset. It allows them to read your text messages, see your bank balances and spy on your personal information.
If you need to pay a bill or transfer money, malware can redirect your cash by altering the recipient's account details.

Did you pay your window cleaner? if so check with him that he has received the money.

Are you sure your bank doesn't have a 24 hour telephone line for reporting frauds and scams? Mine does and so do most big banks.

Jane43 Wed 31-Jan-24 21:02:30

When I pay someone new I just have to enter the person’s or company’ name, sort code and account number. The account is then checked by my bank and there is a tick if the details correspond to a valid account. I have never seen anything like that before either. If it is a large amount the bank call us to make sure we want to continue with the payment, when we had our soffits and fascia’s renewed last May the bank called three times to check that my husband wanted to go ahead with the payment, they kept asking if he had been pressurized in any way, perhaps it was because he had just turned 80!

Grandmadinosaur Wed 31-Jan-24 22:19:07

Just to clarify I have paid this recipient before several times and yes I did pay him. It isn’t anything to do with him not being trustworthy. I just noticed the HMRC items when I was dealing with the payment.
I’m not aware of there being a 24 hour telephone line though I was surprised not to see one.
Thank you again.

TinSoldier Wed 31-Jan-24 23:54:23

I wasn't suggesting that your window cleaner isn't trustworthy. I'm concerned that if your device has suffered a malware attack then the payment you thought you were sending to him may have been diverted to a scammers account. That's why I asked that you check that he has received it. As I said above, malware can redirect your cash by altering the recipient's account details.

All the big banks have 24 hour emergency lines: Barclays, HSBC, Lloyds, NatWest, Santander and Nationwide Building Society. Do call your bank as soon as possible.

welbeck Thu 01-Feb-24 00:04:35

have you tried ringing 159

srwildav Thu 08-Feb-24 12:04:19

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Cossy Thu 08-Feb-24 12:08:07

Use online banking for two accounts at different banks, never ever come across this, please let us all know what happens when you contact your bank