Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Life insurance over 60s

(10 Posts)
HeartFull Fri 12-Jan-24 05:16:16

Just wondering about your thoughts on keeping life and disability insurance, when you are over 60 and have no dependants?? It is expensive and the payout gets less each year, so I am starting to wonder if it is worth it? Would love to hear your views.

HelterSkelter1 Fri 12-Jan-24 05:53:03

I have a fairly cheap accident insurance which I took out when the DC were very small. It will finish when I am 80 but till then I will keep it going as the day I stop will be the day I trip over. And we had life cover while we had the mortgage,

In your situation, I would question your insurance as well if it is expensive and the payout is diminishing. But others will give better advice.

M0nica Fri 12-Jan-24 06:16:44

What would you lose by not having it? If you are working past 60 then, yes, keeping payments up on disability insurance means that you have some income between not being able to work and reaching state pension age, but after that disability will not reduce your income, and in fact it may well mean you qualify for disability benefits like Attendance Allowance.

Life insurance strikes me as a waste of money, at any age, if you have no dependents. If you rent a property rather thn own one, it might be worth paying up front for your funeral, either through a pre-payment plan or money put regularly into a savings account.

But at first glance a life policy seems a waste of money and disability insurance dispensable once your retire.

There may be some aspect of this I have emissed, but I am sure others will put me right in that case

silverlining48 Fri 12-Jan-24 09:09:28

We don’t have any life insurance
at all.

petra Fri 12-Jan-24 09:14:51

Never ever given life insurance a thought, let alone after the age of 60.

Georgesgran Fri 12-Jan-24 09:19:41

I have a small (£3 a month) accidental death policy which ends in a couple of years - taken out to cover the mortgage on a former property, when the DDs were school age.
Other than DH having good critical illness/death insurance when he worked, we’d no other insurance and he died 15 years after retiring.
I agree with MOnica

M0nica Fri 12-Jan-24 09:47:08

Georgesgran Yes, we also had life insurance tied to a mortgage and also when our children were at private school, so that if anything happened to either of us the fees would still be paid. But that was short term only.

Luckygirl3 Fri 12-Jan-24 09:50:52

No life insurances here. Used to have it when income was health-dependant, but no point now - when I die my DC will get share of assets, including house. They do not need an insurance payout which would be tiny.

HeartFull Sat 13-Jan-24 05:17:18

Great! Thanks for your input, everybody.

Norah Sat 13-Jan-24 12:53:40

We've no dependents any longer, however my husband has business to protect - life insurance is well and truly needed.