Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Emergency Tax

(9 Posts)
60no Wed 20-Dec-23 16:53:15

I work having cut down my hours due to claiming my state pension. Love my Job and a huge shortage of qualified childcare practitioners continue to do my bit.
I then find last month I am on an emergency tax code and about £250 is taken in tax from my wages.
I understand that my state pension together with my wage warrents tax deduction but an emergency tax at this rate I don’t understand.
I called the tax office, hung on for 1 hour and 10 minutes to find some answers only to be met with a lady saying ‘caller I can’t hear you I have to cut you off’. So fuming and upset as you can imagine.
Anyway just wanted to know if any grans and still working and have been through this situation of emergency tax.

HelterSkelter1 Wed 20-Dec-23 17:01:39

Why don't you ask the payroll office of the company you work for and ask them to apply for a correct tax code. Sort it out before the end of the tax year and you will get your overpaid tax back...if you have overpaid which depends on what code you were on before you were changed to emergency.

60no Wed 20-Dec-23 17:11:36

Thanks for reply. The man that deals with our payroll told me to contact tax office. That’s what I tried to do.

Cold Wed 20-Dec-23 17:16:16

It quite often happens if you change job or change conditions - the payroll department will be waiting for the Tax Office to issue you a new tax code so you are taxed on an emergency (higher) tax code. Usually it is sorted out within a few weeks and the over payment is credited against your next month

60no Wed 20-Dec-23 18:52:38

Thank you for information. This is the 2nd month it has happened beginning to wish I hadn’t started to receive pension and had it deferred.

Marydoll Wed 20-Dec-23 19:37:08

You can check your tax status by going on

www.gov.uk/check-income-tax-current-year

I had a similar problem when I had to retire on ill health and my tax was all over the place.

mae13 Sun 07-Jan-24 18:50:43

I've managed to calculate that April's State Pension rise will just about tip me over the income tax Personal Allowance threshold along with quite a few thousand other pensioners. Considering that the UK has one of the lowest State Pensions in Europe I can't help but resent this, especially after 6 years as a WASPI.
And when I read about Baroness Mone salting away several million in her Isle of Man bank account - acquired due to supplying faulty PPE during the Pandemic - it seems to me that alledged crime, fibbing and having connections in high places certainly pays off.

HousePlantQueen Sun 07-Jan-24 19:09:06

When there is a change to your employment status or income (receipt of your pension for example), HMRC often issue an emergency tax code notice to your employer. Once your correct income has been established, the correct tax code will be issued and a rebate of any overpaid tax paid.

M0nica Sun 07-Jan-24 19:57:46

When I retired I was on emergency tax for over a year. It was sorted in the end.