Gransnet forums

News & politics

Perspective

(26 Posts)
thatbags Mon 01-Sep-14 06:45:59

The OtherIce bucket challenge

kittylester Mon 01-Sep-14 06:58:29

Quite, bags. I refused my nomination and donated to WaterAid instead!

thatbags Mon 01-Sep-14 07:06:18

Exactly, kitty. Well done. And the story about the island of Colonsay running out of potable water says it all. Idiots.

thatbags Mon 01-Sep-14 07:07:53

And, before anyone justifies it cos it raises funds for charity—no, the end does not justify the means when the means is a mockery of water poverty. There, I'm done.

thatbags Mon 01-Sep-14 07:29:26

Hmm. I wasn't done. Don't get me wrong. I'm not opposed to people having fun. I just don't think we should be having fun in a way that actively celebrates wastefulness of a basic, essential resource that some people struggle for daily.

Aka Mon 01-Sep-14 07:47:35

Sigh

whenim64 Mon 01-Sep-14 08:21:00

Sorry, bags I think this is just like kids being told to eat up because there are starving children in Africa. Stupid to waste water where there is a shortage, yes, but not for the remainder. We're talking about a few pints to each challenge and some have netted huge amounts for charity. More water gets used watering gardens and filling paddling pools every week. It's already fizzling out and I've seen so many people commenting on Facebook that they're donating to avoid doing the challenge now.

I donate to WaterAid by direct debit, by the way.

Iam64 Mon 01-Sep-14 08:49:30

Come on Bags - don't be a spoil sport. I haven't had freezing cold water poured over me, I do donate to charity. So many people I know have done this dotty challenge, lovely people, who are regulars at raising money for charities.
I like wheni'ms comparison with telling children to eat up because there are children starving in Africa. I remember my mum having to reign grannie in when she thought I was being a smarty pants, age 4 when I suggested they pack up the food I didn't want to eat, and send it to Africa. It had been a genuine suggestion on my part but gran thought I was getting uppity grin

thatbags Mon 01-Sep-14 08:50:48

You're right, when. It is just an irritation but that drawing in the OP brought water poverty home to me with a thump. Gransnet is good for having a shout.

However, next time the south of England has a drought and the media start a panic about water shortages, the south of England should not expect any sympathy from me. Britain is not short of water; we just aren't careful enough with our plentiful supply.

thatbags Mon 01-Sep-14 08:51:41

iam64, smile

whenim64 Mon 01-Sep-14 09:08:27

Agree with you there, Bags. It's just dawned on me that it's months since I saw a burst water main gushing out on to a road. I wonder if there's been an improvement around the whole country?

Tegan Mon 01-Sep-14 10:11:13

Can't get the link to open. If it's the ice bucket challenge I think it's a horrible thing to have to do and it's like a chain letter in that you're scared to not do it cause of bad karma. Not only is it unpleasant but surely, if someone had an unknown heart condition, it could cause a heart attack [which, I think, sometimes happens when people jump into cold water]; the participants then have to have a warm shower and wash any clothes they were wearing etc etc. I don't know what I'd do if I was nominated as I'd hate to do it and couldn't really afford to give £60 to the charity. I think I'd just start an 'iced tea' challenge as an alternative.

kittylester Mon 01-Sep-14 10:15:31

Hi Tegan good to see you. smile

Where does the sum of £60 come from?

Tegan Mon 01-Sep-14 10:17:52

Isn't that the amount you're supposed to give if you don't accept the challenge? Or is it just the amount that someone gave [Gwyneth Paltrow?] along with doing the challenge as well.

janerowena Mon 01-Sep-14 10:20:05

I loved the links to Palestinians doing the challenge, where they were using rubble instead.

I donated rather than do the challenge. I think it's better to have people be aware of what awful suffering people have to go through, than not, and campaigns like this reach people who would otherwise probably never even thought of donating, let alone heard of the disease. It's educational. In some countries sand has been used, in others, elderly rice grains. Others have used husks from grains.

Tegan Mon 01-Sep-14 10:23:47

But if, like me you find the whole thing ludicrous, you feel that people think that you're someone that doesn't care about people suffering from this terrible illness so it's like moral blackmail sad.

janerowena Mon 01-Sep-14 10:32:39

Yes, I agree, I have felt like that about some things in the past. There are some ridiculous breast cancer things that you are meant to post, and if you get caught out (by thinking that someone's facebook account has been hacked) you have to pay a forfeit. I just announced on my page that there was no way I was going to put a silly statement on my page, but was willing to donate £10.

When you donate, btw, you are given a choice of sums to select from.

kittylester Mon 01-Sep-14 10:50:02

I gave £10 to WaterAid not £60!! blush

DH has been issued with the challenge by DD2's husband. He is declining but giving money to MS (a charity close to DSiL's heart as his best friend is a sufferer)

janerowena Mon 01-Sep-14 10:53:25

I gave £10 as well, I already have a charity of my own choosing that I donate to regularly and that is quite enough I feel, but the odd £10 here and there won't kill me - it may be too much for many others however. I would never knock anyone who doesn't donate, I know I have struggled hugely in the past to keep my family fed and to find an extra £10 would have seemed the end of the world.

suebailey1 Mon 01-Sep-14 10:56:01

I name and shame us. DH and I have both declined the challenge- doesn't mean to say we don't donate though. Am really considering the Sober for October Macmillan thing I think it would do me good but can I do it that's the question? I do love my glass of wine in the evening but I also enjoy a test of my willpower.

janerowena Mon 01-Sep-14 11:26:53

The only reason I didn't decline was because my DD nominated me, if it had been anyone else I would have declined!

kittylester Mon 01-Sep-14 11:34:47

The only reason I felt able to decline was because it was one of my DDs. She nominated both her sisters as well, one of whom did it and one of whom declined too!

janerowena Mon 01-Sep-14 11:36:12

Mine must be a lot bossier than yours! grin

ginny Tue 02-Sep-14 14:43:14

One of my DDs did the challenge and nominated the other two, who declined but made a donation. I would decline too. I like to choose who and what I donate to and when. I am getting rather fed up with charities using guilt ie. sending gifts, pens, notecards and unasked for draw tickets.

kittylester Tue 02-Sep-14 14:51:11

janer, I refuse to take any of them clothes shopping grin