Gransnet forums

News & politics

So depressing

(46 Posts)
whitewave Wed 20-Aug-14 09:42:45

Is it me or is the world really particularly horrible at the moment.

This is a list of stuff I am finding so miserable at the moment

1. Race riots in USA. Have they not moved on? A professor suggested that the Murdoch media in the US has a lot to answer to, as they are for example citing freedom of speech and using the word "nigger" when describing black people, as well as an underlying racial tone to their reporting in for example Fox News

2. Islamic State - Their actions are beyond description. What is to be done? Does it all boil down to religion or is it politics? British citizens are implicated in their actions.

3. Ebola - we seem to be giving such little assistance to the people who are suffering.

4. Iraq, Syria, Gaza, good grief it never ends.

5. Killing of elephants, whales, bears. Our inhumanity to other species.

6. Our apparent inability to show empathy towards others whose lot in life is lesser than our own.

I could go on and on

Sorry to be such an old misery but I am CHEESED OFF with it all at the moment

Eloethan Wed 20-Aug-14 09:50:11

I feel the same whitewave - very depressing.

MiniMouse Wed 20-Aug-14 10:04:13

Yes, it just seems so overwhelming, doesn't it? sad There seems to be so much corruption and so many 'deals' done between governments and the 'powers that be'. Ordinary people are just pawns in their games.

Sometimes it's tempting to just be an ostrich . . .

nigglynellie Wed 20-Aug-14 10:13:16

It's just dreadful! I begin to feel that I can't read or hear any more about the appalling events going on in the world. The world seems full of barbarians of one sort or another on one side and futile, weak, ineffective politicians/leaders (?!!!!) on the other. God knows how it will all end, those poor poor people and persecuted animals. I can't get my head round it all. It's all SO horrible I feel that I want to climb(!!!) to the top of the world and scream STOP!!!!!! but I don't think anyone would be listening.

Charleygirl Wed 20-Aug-14 10:23:51

I can barely watch the news nowadays.

sunseeker Wed 20-Aug-14 10:41:27

Its the feeling of helplessness that gets me. What can the average person in the street do - we all want to do something but even giving to various charities has its pitfalls as there is one scandal after another of misused funds, overpaid executives etc. Our politicians (of all parties) seem unable or unwilling to do anything.

nigglynellie Wed 20-Aug-14 10:59:23

Nothing more to add to what has been said - I'm almost resorting to prayer, but I don't think will do a grain of good, in fact as 'religion' seems at the bottom of a lot of these troubles, it could do positive harm, so perhaps not!!!

HollyDaze Wed 20-Aug-14 11:35:35

I try not to watch the news every day now for the reasons given - it is depressing but I find the main problem is that I am losing faith in people in general. It isn't a nice world - too many that are too ready to tread on too many toes to get what they want.

Bellasnana Wed 20-Aug-14 12:35:31

I agree. I try to avoid the news. Fighting everywhere you look, and the hideous beheading of an innocent photographer has reduced me to tears this morning. sad

KatyK Wed 20-Aug-14 13:28:28

It is horrible and sad the world has gone mad. At the moment I am trying to limit what I watch/read. We are having a bad year in our own family (obviously we are lucky compared to these poor people) but I think you have to try to hold on to your sanity sometimes and limit what you watch and read or you could go mad and only see the bad things in life and no good.

Galen Wed 20-Aug-14 14:12:40

I agree! It's all dreadful.

NfkDumpling Wed 20-Aug-14 14:58:11

My mother in one of her more generous moments said that there were more good people in the world than bad, but you only hear about the bad.

I think she was right. Now there are so many more people in the world and communications are so instant, there's more bad to hear about and good news doesn't sell papers.

But there's an awful lot of good which goes unnoticed and that's what we have to remember and hang on to. More of the world is at peace than is at war. The vast majority of people are not starving. Animal welfare, if not improving is now known about and will improve slowly. More children are being better educated. Medicine is improving.

A few hundred years ago there were extremists here and across Europe ruling the roost - as well as the Middle East and the all rest of the world, but it's shrinking. Ok, we've a long way to go but as long as there are more good people than bad, good will win through - in the end!

(I'm having a smiley positive thinking day today!)

Lona Wed 20-Aug-14 15:09:38

Nfk I think you're right to be so positive, thanks for reminding us.
Good must triumph over bad or we're really in the s**t!

henetha Wed 20-Aug-14 15:58:24

You are so right, Nfk, to remind us that there is still a lot of good in the world. I totally agree.
But I still feel terribly sad about all the things listed in whitewave's post.
It is particularly horrible and frightening at the moment and I feel unsure about the future of mankind. I don't understand how humans can be so brutal to fellow humans, and all for what?
Will praying do any good? Very doubtful now about what I believe in.
Where is God in all this suffering?

penguinpaperback Wed 20-Aug-14 17:06:21

It does seem particularly awful at the moment. At times like this you can find, well I do, if you're not careful the 24 hour rolling news channels, the internet can overwhelm you with all the misery. Which only adds to the feeling of helplessness.

whitewave Wed 20-Aug-14 17:11:10

The alarming thing reading all the replies so far is how helpless everyone seems to feel - not good.

nigglynellie Wed 20-Aug-14 17:30:56

I read today that as the video of the the terrible death of that journalist, faded out, that it was in fact a sick exercise by IS, and that the poor man isn't dead. I don't know, but I found myself clutching at a straw here, but I expect I am wrong. Perhaps the 6 oclock news will say more - more horror I expect!

Mishap Wed 20-Aug-14 17:47:46

We feel helpless because we are helpless. There truly is nothing we can do to stop these things happening. We can send aid to try and pick up the pieces a bit, but that is in a way too late. We are beset with fanaticism, religious fundamentalism, antibiotic resistant bugs, global corruption and a moral vacuum in which our government thinks it is OK to arm people who are killing children. There is nothing you, nor I, nor anyone else can possibly do in the face of all this.

I watch the news headlines because I feel I cannot bury my head in the sand, but I do not delve into the detail much any more.

I take joy in my family and community and try to concentrate on all the goodness that is there. All the rest is just too much. I cannot hold this degree of misery and stay sane.

Eloethan Wed 20-Aug-14 17:56:58

I agree with your mum nfk that most people are basically decent, and there are some exceptionally "good" people in the world as well as exceptionally "bad" ones. It seems though that even basically decent people can do, or can allow to be done, terrible things - as happens in wars.

Unfortunately, research has found that those people who are "successful" are more likely to have psychopathic personality traits, including aggression and a lack of empathy, remorse and fearfulness. These are the people who are most likely to make it to the top and who, from their powerful positions, are more likely to influence how society is run. So "competitiveness" is more highly valued than "co-operation" and empathy is seen as a weakness rather than a strength.

What is the answer - I don't know.

penguinpaperback Wed 20-Aug-14 17:59:19

Yes I agree and try to adopt pretty much the same strategy Mishap.
I want to know what is happening around the world but after I have the basics I tend to switch over as there really is absolutely nothing I can do about it. And I have to hope there is still more goodness in the world than evil. Hard at times to maintain that belief though.

rosequartz Wed 20-Aug-14 18:01:33

I did say that to DH last night, that everything seems to be getting worse, more and more inhumane and appalling atrocities being committed particularly against women and young girls.

Perhaps this has always happened but more is being reported nowadays?
The more we try to help with charities who are helping refugees the worse it all seems to get until it is overwhelming.
Trying to 'bring democracy' to certain countries has made things worse in a lot of instances.

sparkygran Wed 20-Aug-14 18:16:06

I`m so glad I`m not alone in listening to the headlines and then switching off for the main news also local news all of which if filled with violence, wars etc. It not that I don`t care I do but what can I do as an individual so I`m concentrating on the good things out there in the world and in life in general

MargaretX Wed 20-Aug-14 18:32:39

I feel guilty just turning off the awful news. I worry about the world my Gcs are growing up into. Still our parents must have thought the same. At least they are safe now.

NfkDumpling Wed 20-Aug-14 18:41:44

I know my parents were worried sick, especially dad, about the Cuba crisis and the possibility of nuclear war.

rockgran Wed 20-Aug-14 19:48:36

I'm the same - just touch on the headlines but can't bear the details. I think there is too much information available. A lot of horrible things used to happen but we didn't see them or even know about them. Now it is in your face 24/7. Misery overload! I like to believe that it is only the bad news that gets reported and there is far more boring good stuff out there -but it just isn't "newsworthy".
I do worry for my grandchildren and find myself sometimes envying my childless friends. Still, I think all older people have felt this way and despaired of the younger generation's handling of world affairs.