Gransnet forums

News & politics

Cliff Richard - shock!

(187 Posts)
kittylester Thu 14-Aug-14 14:15:00

I heard on the 1 o'clock news that police are searching the Berkshire home of Cliff Richard regarding an alleged sex offence with a boy, aged under 16, dating back to the 1980's.

DD3 aged 27 is in shock and was heard to say 'What is the world coming to, it will be Terry Wogan and Bruce Forsyth next!'

It will be interesting to see whether the fact that it has been reported on television brings any more victims to the fore.

NfkDumpling Thu 14-Aug-14 14:16:34

It can't be Cliff though - can it?

merlotgran Thu 14-Aug-14 14:20:46

Once again you think, Why has it taken so long for that person to come forward?

Will there be others I wonder?

Oh dear. hmm

sunseeker Thu 14-Aug-14 14:21:58

If this is in respect of an alleged office dating back to the 1980's why are they searching his property now? What do they expect to find?

Nonu Thu 14-Aug-14 14:23:24

Computors, maybe!

glassortwo Thu 14-Aug-14 14:40:45

elegran marelli that conversation we had in Newcastle about CR appears to be coming to light.

Ana Thu 14-Aug-14 14:59:25

You mean you recorded it? shock

Anne58 Thu 14-Aug-14 15:06:29

Apparently he has issued a statement saying that he has known about the allegation for some time but did want to dignify it with a response. Or something like that.

PRINTMISS Thu 14-Aug-14 15:17:45

It was really only a matter of time, wasn't it. No. I am not saying I think there is anything untoward here, (without further information,) but as everyone says, why has it taken so long, and these 'historical' accusations seem to be happening more and more often. Gossip is a dangerous thing.

Elegran Thu 14-Aug-14 15:19:01

Hope it wasn't recorded, Ana , but no tape recorders were around that I could see!

We were saying something on the lines that Cliff has had a long and unblemished career as a non-gay unmarried pop singer.

Ana Thu 14-Aug-14 15:22:24

Oh, I thought glass meant you had all been talking about an allegation of some sort, and when she had it had come to light I got even more confused!

Nelliemoser Thu 14-Aug-14 16:02:38

Remember you have to be a tad careful what you say on here about this, it could be thought libellous.

We don't want all you GNers serving time.

Elegran Thu 14-Aug-14 16:25:36

Indeed no, Nellie We were remarking on Cliff's long and very respectable career in this era of shock revelations.

Nonnie Thu 14-Aug-14 16:31:08

A year or so back when I queried why it took so long for the allegations I was shot down in flames and given lots of reasons why it took so long.

I do think that some of the allegations about slebs might be true but also think there must be a lot of jumping on the bandwagon. Why, when the allegations are not substantiated are we not told who made the accusations? I understand why we have to be told who the alleged perpetrator is and the reasons for confidentiality before, and even after successful prosecution, but surely when the police are pretty sure it is not true or when the case goes to court and is found not to be proved it would be appropriate to name the accuser? It might put a few people off but it would also protect the reputations of the innocent.

Nonnie Thu 14-Aug-14 17:03:41

Why are they only searching one of his homes?

ninathenana Thu 14-Aug-14 17:30:30

Non gay ??? Hmm

Mishap Thu 14-Aug-14 17:33:00

Oh dear - I suppose any man who chooses to remain a bachelor is fair game.

Let us hope there is no foundation to this accusation. Time will tell.

feetlebaum Thu 14-Aug-14 17:37:43

Jet Harris claimed that Cliff broke up his (Jet's) first marriage - although I have to say that he never mentioned it to me when I was working and travelling with him.

The Shadows said they thought Cliff 'weird' - they never said they they thought him gay.

It wouldn't surprise me as much as Rolf Harris's case did...

Nonnie Thu 14-Aug-14 17:40:56

It is hard to believe because he has always kept his private life very private and I feel that if he had ever done anything he shouldn't the press would have outed him as he is so very private. I suppose I just want to believe he is a nice person as I know he does good by stealth.

KatyK Thu 14-Aug-14 17:52:06

I have always been a bit of a Cliff fan but I'm sorry to say we don't know these people. They present a persona which is probably nothing like they really are. None of what you hear and half of what you see.......

Nonu Thu 14-Aug-14 18:03:00

Think of Rock Hudson.

He married Phyllis Gates in 1955, she was his beard!

Just because they are not all like George Michael , who frequented Public toilets !

hmm

whitewave Thu 14-Aug-14 18:15:51

I think that it will soon be easier to say ISN'T implicated in this sort of crime!! There has been many hints regarding our upstanding MP's so we must await that I suppose. Dear me

Iam64 Thu 14-Aug-14 18:34:05

I've just read the mums net discussion on this. Worth a look, for those brave enoughgrin

blueskies Thu 14-Aug-14 19:12:09

Please be careful what you write. If charges are brought you could be in contempt of court.

whitewave Thu 14-Aug-14 19:13:35

Like what blue?