Gransnet forums

News & politics

BBC reporter.

(10 Posts)
petra Mon 28-Jul-14 13:21:35

I was watching the BBC news this morning. There was a piece featuring a young disabled man from Ruanda who was taking part in the games.
He had never had a wheelchair. The piece told us about this charity who gave him a chair.
The BBC reporter asked the charity chap ' Don't you think it's a PATRONISING' I could have punched him.

NfkDumpling Mon 28-Jul-14 13:24:59

Sounds to me that the reporter was the patronising one.

Anniebach Mon 28-Jul-14 13:33:26

Good grief Petra, if giving a chair could be considered patronising then could giving to charities be viewed the same , what a stupid person

Elegran Mon 28-Jul-14 13:58:47

The reporter, of course, is perfectly able-bodied and has never had to cope without a chair when he needed one. He is so hung up on not being patronising to the "differently abled" that he can't see the good in helping them when you can.

ninathenana Mon 28-Jul-14 15:06:25

To be fair, the interviewee was the guy who organized the whole thing and his reply was "that's a very good question"

It's a great charity, they were giving running shoes and other equipment to para olympians from poorer countries as well as wheelchairs.

sunseeker Mon 28-Jul-14 15:54:05

Isn't it patronising to ask someone else if a person feels patronised? Should that question not have been put to the athlete himself.

ninathenana Mon 28-Jul-14 21:10:20

Good point sunseeker

Ana Mon 28-Jul-14 21:18:43

The reporter was asking the charity person whether he thought it was patronising to give the disabled person a wheelchair. He wasn't actually asking whether the disabled person felt patronised.

suebailey1 Tue 29-Jul-14 09:00:10

I did applaud the charities' next objective which is to provide the equipment before they reach the games.

Anniebach Tue 29-Jul-14 09:19:17

My error, I thought the person with a disability had been asked the question