Gransnet forums

News & politics

Girl Summit 2014 hosted in UK by David Cameron

(18 Posts)
POGS Tue 22-Jul-14 21:40:29

I have to admit to being quite incensed by the taudry way the good work of William Hague and Angelina Jolie was reported in the media and by some who obviously have not followed the progressive and lengthy path they have taken to bring to the fore the vile use of Female Genital Mutilation worldwide.

Today David Cameron and the UK government co-hosted alongside UNICEF the GIRL SUMMIT 2014 in London. I hope there will not follow a further media bout of condemnation for the government as I consider both events to be something we British should have embraced and been proud of and reported with respect given the serious nature of the subject.

I can't do links but I am hoping a GN will put a link to the Summit which brought together people from all over the world and from various backgrounds, all in the hope of getting FGM and Forced Marriage to be eradicated. It would be ridiculous to think this could happen but I for one am proud the UK Government has taken the lead in this subject and I hope proposed enforcements come to fruition and if it only saves one child it would be worth it.

Please look it up to find out more.

Tegan Tue 22-Jul-14 21:45:03

Can't quite remember what she said but one woman interviewed said that the families 'did it out of love' and that prosecuting the parents would affect whole communities [or something like that]. Well, it's not my idea of love and if it tears apart communities sobeit.

janeainsworth Tue 22-Jul-14 21:53:17

https://www.gov.uk/government/topical-events/girl-summit-2014

POGS Tue 22-Jul-14 21:57:29

Janeainsworth

Thank you very much. wine

ninathenana Tue 22-Jul-14 23:15:28

Barbaric !! Poor girls.

Aspen Wed 23-Jul-14 01:03:38

This barbarity has been against the law in this country for 30 years, the first prosecution was only a few months ago (don't know the outcome). Our politicians only come forward to jump on the bandwagon.

POGS Wed 23-Jul-14 07:48:06

They certainly can't win can they.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

I guess I will have to accept the Summit will not be getting the respect it deserved. I wonder what the response would have been had it taken place in say, South Africa and Hillary Clinton had been involved?

It was not a bandwagon, FGM and Arranged Marriage has been spoken of in Parliament and a lot of work has been going on with our politicians and I remain hopeful, they are at least trying.

Aka Wed 23-Jul-14 08:10:34

Progress is being made and not before time. I heard that interview too Tegan and I felt sickened.

It's also about time that the young men spoke out and said they do not want a mutilated wife, as apparently these people think it makes young woman more 'marriageable' angry

HollyDaze Wed 23-Jul-14 09:13:14

It certainly is barbaric - can you imagine the furore if those practices were being done to men?

I'm glad that people in a position of influence are working very hard to highlight this heinous practice; maybe one day they will be successful.

nightowl Wed 23-Jul-14 10:03:02

It is barbaric, and far more of a mutilation than male circumcision, but that doesn't alter the fact Holly that male mutilation in the form of male circumcision goes on every day within the law and with barely a whisper of opposition.

GillT57 Wed 23-Jul-14 11:05:02

I have been reading all I can about this POGS as it incenses me too and I am proud that Britain is brave enough to make a stand. I think there has been too much pandering to so called cultural considerations and too much fear of offending. These are children and we would do well to remember that. These girls and women who are speaking out are brave and potentially putting themselves and their families at risk, and the least we can do is take them seriously. I applaud the proposal of criminal charges being made against parents who fail to prevent FGM. Maybe it is prudery because female genitalia are being discussed openly, but if the cultural requirement was for say, a girl ( or a boy) to have an ear cut off, or their nostrils slit as part of a marriage ritual imagine the fuss! So what is the difference? Well done William Hague, for tackling this sensitive subject.

whenim64 Wed 23-Jul-14 12:17:24

It's good that the UK has finally started to act on the demands to protect girls from being mutilated in this terrible way. The 'End FGM' campaign has been active for some time. You can receive email updates, join the campaign, and enter discussions on Facebook or Twitter to spread the word. Here's the campaign website:

www.endfgm.eu/en/

This is a peak time of year for girls being whisked out of the country to undergo FGM and communities can help by reporting concerns to the police. The aim is to eventually raise awareness in advance of it happening, so pupils and teachers, neighbours, friends who suspect it's about to happen can alert the authorities.

HollyDaze Wed 23-Jul-14 15:11:00

My second husband was circumcised nightowl - not for religious reasons, some medical problem when he was a baby (to do with peeing difficulties I think) but it didn't affect him in any way (not that he ever told me about).

HollyDaze Wed 23-Jul-14 15:12:44

There had been talk of school nurses examing girls that they think this may have happened to - is that still going ahead?

Ana Wed 23-Jul-14 15:18:03

How many schools have nurses these days? And surely parents would have to give their permission for such an examination, which they're hardly likely to do if the child has already undergone the procedure.

HollyDaze Wed 23-Jul-14 15:35:13

No idea, I'm just repeating what was covered on BBC news item about it and wondering if they are still planning on doing that.

nightowl Wed 23-Jul-14 17:57:28

Of course male circumcision has to be available for medical reasons Holly and for freely consenting adult men. I just object to baby boys being circumcised before they can consent, without anaesthetic or pain relief, to satisfy pseudo religious or cultural reasons.

Sorry if this is off topic but I think once we start to examine FGM It must make us reconsider our attitudes to male circumcision. I believe there is a growing lobby against this by men in the US where the practice has been mainstream for a long time.

Deedaa Wed 23-Jul-14 20:56:45

My husband was circumcised when he was about 8 for medical reasons. I've always felt that he has some psychological hang ups about it, but I imagine that's because he was old enough to be aware of what was happening, but didn't have the sort of family who would explain much to him.