Gransnet forums

News & politics

Ukrainan Crash

(86 Posts)
JessM Fri 18-Jul-14 08:29:56

Awful event yesterday in the skies over Ukraine. An area held by anti-government forces. The picture seems to be that rebels holding Ukrainian territory used a very powerful anti-aircraft missile against an airliner en route from Amsterdam to Malaysia. Ukrainian government are saying they could not have got this missile from their stocks - so likely the Russians gave it to the anti-government forces. The plane was flying very high at the time.
What an awful mess and personal tragedy for those who have lost friends and relatives. Apparently there were some eminent AIDSs scientists on board, on their way to a conference, so a loss to science as well.
Investigating this is not going to be easy, given the civil war that is going on.

suebailey1 Fri 18-Jul-14 08:44:07

I feel desperately sorry for these poor people and those they leave behind. This is an international incident which was waiting to happen when Mr Putin arms untrained rebel forces with such weapons- be interesting to see how he responds.

kittylester Fri 18-Jul-14 09:06:01

I've heard that Russia have taken possession of the black boxes. I've also heard America putting it's oar in sad

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 18-Jul-14 09:19:17

For God's sake - America is the only people who will be able to find out what really happened. Don't start criticising the americans.

absent Fri 18-Jul-14 09:40:35

Why is America the only source of accurate information jingl, especially if the black box disappears somewhere else. It's certainly not going to the USA, after all. Doesn't everyone in this whole awful situation have an axe to grind - and clearly this was a bad miscalculation, although whether on the part of an ex-KGB officer now President, or some lowly minion is anyone's guess.

Oldgreymare Fri 18-Jul-14 09:44:17

With August 4th fast approaching, this 'incident' is a huge cause for concern and a reminder that EVERYONE should tread very carefully.

merlotgran Fri 18-Jul-14 09:49:05

Another disaster for Malaysia Arlines. Both very nasty circumstances. I don't suppose there's a link?? hmm

nigglynellie Fri 18-Jul-14 09:56:10

Oh my goodness what a terrible thing to have happened, but when you put sophisticated weapons in the hands of virtually untrained people, it's an accident waiting to happen. Yes the Americans are the only people who can find out who caused this so obviously they must be involved. As I understand it the Americans are the only one who can decipher the black boxes (apparently in all air accidents they are always sent to the States) and in any case the black boxes cannot tell anyone who was responsible, all they will record is a bang and maybe some commotion as the plane would have been totally unaware of the danger until it the missile struck. Satellites and radar will reveal exactly who did what and that has to involve America, it would be rather strange if it didn't!!!

merlotgran Fri 18-Jul-14 10:10:54

Sorry I appear a bit thick, OGM but what is the significance of Aug 4th?

Mishap Fri 18-Jul-14 10:33:00

I doubt whether the Russians will donate the black box to the US to look at; and am surprised that no other country has the ability to interpret black box findings.

I am not clear what the US can contribute to this investigation, or how the are the only people who can find out what happened.

Whatever the cause it is a huge tragedy for the individuals and families involved and a worrying political development.

I too do not know what the significance of Aug 4th is.

nigglynellie Fri 18-Jul-14 10:41:26

August 4th was the outbreak of the first World War which was put into motion by an assassination. Just a bit ominous!! Wouldn't it be rather odd if the Americans washed their hands of this tragedy?!! (nothing to do with me guv, don't come here for any help!) Bearing in mind that they have the most sophisticated equipment in the world, it would seem to me that they can contribute enormously to this investigation!

tanith Fri 18-Jul-14 10:41:27

The US will able to pinpoint exactly where a missile was fired from with their technology they will find out who did it if indeed it was a deliberate act. That has yet to be established.

My thoughts are with the many innocent families who have been destroyed by this dreadful happening however it may of occured.

nigglynellie Fri 18-Jul-14 11:05:37

My sentiments entirely tenith. Having said that, I find it hard to believe that the U.S isn't fully aware of what happened to MH370!!

Mishap Fri 18-Jul-14 12:31:43

Do no other countries have these technologies?

nigglynellie Fri 18-Jul-14 13:09:33

Not as good as the Americans!

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 18-Jul-14 13:17:10

Bloody Putin. Or should I say bloody handed Putin. angry

Seems like those rebels have got hold of equipment they don't know how to handle.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 18-Jul-14 13:18:17

So many countries involved in the losses.

dorsetpennt Fri 18-Jul-14 13:29:44

Makes you wonder about the other air liner. Seems to be a lot of trigger happy people about.

Mishap Fri 18-Jul-14 15:06:32

The reason I do not want to see US interfering is not anti-Americanism, but a fear that a new cold war (or worse still a world war) could be precipitated by this one act. I don't want to hear rhetoric from any side - it is time for cool reflection.

nigglynellie Fri 18-Jul-14 15:26:51

The U.S isn't ' interfering' Mishap, surely you can't seriously believe that they would sit on the sidelines and not utter a word!!! The same for Russia. The U.S will know exactly how and by whom that aircraft was destroyed, (Russia too) that's a fact whether we like it or not, and it's hardly information that the U,S in particular would keep to themselves when the majority of the world is looking for answers!

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 18-Jul-14 16:05:08

If there is another cold war, hopefully Russia is n't quite as powerful as it was before. How an anyone extend the hand of friendship to the monster that is Putin?

Lilygran Fri 18-Jul-14 16:05:54

This is dreadful, I've just been watching the news. All those people!

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 18-Jul-14 16:11:11

Would it have better if Ukraine had just let that part of its country go back to being part of a USSR?

Lilygran Fri 18-Jul-14 16:12:43

The intercepted discussion among pro-Russian Ukrainian separatists, if accurate, suggests they shot the plane down because they thought it was a Ukrainian freight aircraft. I don't think USA involvement has anything to do with ability to interpret the 'black boxes'. It's more that Putin might take some notice. The EU is in some difficulty over tackling him because so much of the Eastern, former Soviet bloc countries, including half of Germany get their fuel supplies from Russia.

nigglynellie Fri 18-Jul-14 16:53:08

This of course is the problem when dealing with Russia! We in the West have put ourselves in position of weakness by relying on Russia for Gas supplies, upset them too much and that tap can be turned off and there is nothing we can do about it except huff and puff while Russia runs rings round us!!! Why is that we in the West always seem to be negotiating from the back foot? We always seem so unrealistic when dealing with other countries whose leaders are clearly hostile to us, putting our heads in the sand, trying to pretend that it will all be alright in the end, and then seriously surprised when it isn't!!! I'm all for turning the other cheek, but sometimes it just doesn't work!
No it certainly wouldn't have been a good thing to let Russia take over Eastern Ukraine! It's not their country and they should clear off! You don't think Putin would have stopped at that. He wants the whole of the Ukraine, followed by Poland and who knows where, in fact he wants the USSR back and has made no secret of this. Appeasement never works with a bully, and once he gets away with invading one country he won't rest until he has the remainder of the old soviet block safely under his wing again. Next stop Western Europe, which will succumb without a whimper!