Gransnet forums

News & politics

Allegations of cover up of historic child abuse involving politicians

(42 Posts)
Iam64 Sun 06-Jul-14 08:47:44

This has been mentioned on the Rolf Harris threads, and wondered if others would be interested in discussing it.

The rumours have been circulating for well over 30 years and I hope a full, independent enquiry takes place.

Anniebach Sun 06-Jul-14 09:40:00

There were enquiries held into the North Wales children's homes abuse cases, files were lost, police had retired or died. Some arrests of staff but visitors ! named by the victims were never disclosed, the judge at the trial ordered they were not to be made public for fear the names! would sue

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 06-Jul-14 09:41:55

Shall we wait until they "find" the dossier? Please!

Could be a long wait, I know.

Nelliemoser Sun 06-Jul-14 09:45:18

Iam64(I am choosing my words carefully here.) It is good that it has now at least been widely mentioned that there have been previously expressed concerns. The carpet has been pulled back a little.

tanith Sun 06-Jul-14 09:45:41

It seems there are 114 files that are missing/lost that warrants investigation whether the bottom of this particular barrel will ever be reached is highly unlikely IMO!

whenim64 Sun 06-Jul-14 09:46:16

I would like to know how 114 files can go missing. Were they the only copies? Who was under pressure at the other end, that copies can't be produced now? Did anyone secretly take copies home, knowing the files would be destroyed at government level? I want to see an investigation and public enquiry NOT conducted by Brirish Establishment. There needs to be an international team that undertakes such work - paedophile rings in government go across borders and the rumours that security services from various countries have blackmailed some MPs with the intelligence they have about their sexual activities make me feel pessimistic about further cover-ups being perpetrated within existing systems.

There has never been a better opportunity than right now to blow the lid off what has been known and rumoured for decades. When you have prominent MPs resisting progress, it needs a deafening demand from all of us to overcome the delays and cover-ups. Children have been killed, more have disappeared, unexplained fires have occurred, hundreds if not thousands of offenders talk openly about what they know or have heard from others - have been for years.

I hope Simon Dancsuk stays safe and has the support he needs, likewise Tom Watson. They are brave men who can obviously be trusted about what they are claiming.

Nelliemoser Sun 06-Jul-14 09:49:32

Do be careful what you say on here we don't want anyone arrested or GN closed down due to potential libels.

Nelliemoser Sun 06-Jul-14 09:53:47

Whenim Shredders perhaps? they could be used to dispose of confidential information quite well. That's just a hypothetical speculation of course.

whenim64 Sun 06-Jul-14 09:57:08

Everything written in my post is in the public domain on numerous websites and in newspapers, Nellie. Today, the papers have started to name names. Wouldn't it be great if the names were fronted and invited to thrash out complaints in court?

A shout out for the Daily Mail (probably the only one you'll get from me, but....) who did this with the Stephen Lawrence murderers. More of the same needed now.

whenim64 Sun 06-Jul-14 09:58:00

House of Commons furnace, more like, Nellie!

whenim64 Sun 06-Jul-14 12:21:46

Headline news now. Lord Tebbit says a wider enquiry is needed, whilst government rejecting need for one. It's good to hear prominent people are now saying the Establishment should not cover up again.

It is being openly connected to the Leon Brittan issue on BBC news, as he was the Home Secretary who was given dossiers back then.

GrannyTwice Sun 06-Jul-14 12:46:47

I was quite taken aback with C4 news on Friday when it used the word
'Baying' to describe those MPs calling for an enquiry. I couldn't help but feel that the choice of that word was saying something

petallus Sun 06-Jul-14 12:50:55

I can't help feeling this issue will soon fade away, though I hope not.

Demonstrates something, doesn't it?

Concentrate on the (relatively) small fry, like RH, and don't confront the really powerful people in our society.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 06-Jul-14 13:58:43

It's not going to fade away. "They" have got their teeth into it now. Perhaps unfortunately. Why not concentrate on this present era and leave past ones to quietly rot? Especially where the people concerned are now dead. Victims will start to come out of the woodwork. People who are getting on with their lives perfectly now.

I know - shouts of horror.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 06-Jul-14 13:59:15

should have read "perfectly well now"

GrannyTwice Sun 06-Jul-14 14:01:40

It's not worth replying is it - it's all been said

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 06-Jul-14 14:07:43

Why bother then?

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 06-Jul-14 14:08:12

Enjoy. I'm sure you will.

Iam64 Sun 06-Jul-14 16:49:16

I understand why many people believe the past should be left, and focus of police and other agencies on current sexual abuse. I don't agree, because there is so much to learn from what went wrong. If Simon Danczuk had taken this approach to Cyril Smith, the majority of the population would have assumed the allegations against CS were just that. As with JS, we now know that they were serial abusers.

It is horrible to have these trials and investigations dominating the news as they are right now. On a more positive note, I hope it'll help society understand that the sexual abuse of children is much more frequent than any of us would wish it to be.

Anniebach, working in the north west meant the rumours about nw were persistent. My last involvement with it was just before I retired, when I listed to a father describe the abuse he experienced at one of the nw homes, as he wept. Truly awful to listen to, but he really needed to talk and it was the least I could do. He, like other parents I worked with, had been approached by the recent investigation, but felt unable to help the police with their enquiries because he couldn't face formal interviews, or the ridicule he/she would have faced in court.

rosesarered Sun 06-Jul-14 16:51:02

At the moment it's 'allegations'. We have to wait and see.

Iam64 Sun 06-Jul-14 17:16:30

As we did with Stuart Hall, Rolph Harris and others

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 06-Jul-14 17:46:54

It's almost as though people can't wait to muck rake. Positively rubbing their hands in glee. (Not GN rs of course)

MiceElf Sun 06-Jul-14 18:15:01

I find it strange that the due processes of the law which require allegations of criminal activity to be investigated by the police, are described as 'muck raking'. I haven't seen anyone 'positively rubbing their hands in glee' just a deep sadness for victims and a desire for the truth to be revealed.

GrannyTwice Sun 06-Jul-14 18:22:08

It's not about rubbing hands in glee, enjoying it all -it's actually not even just about the abuse - it's also about the issues of the rule of law, the inbalance of power in society, the possible corruption of due process by those with great power and the resultant increase in cynicism and distrust in our institutions and the impact that has on democracy. None of that makes me rub my hands with glee and neither do I enjoy it - I actually feel profoundly depressed by it all.

GrannyTwice Sun 06-Jul-14 18:22:36

MiceElf - x posts, great minds etc etc