Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is Oscar taking the Pistorius?

(54 Posts)
Soutra Wed 14-May-14 11:08:54

So his trial has ben halted pending " psychological assessment" which could take up to 30 days. So far we have seen histrionics, nausea (and not just on our part) tears and all manner of (cynically I assume) ploys to make us feel HE is the victim. Oh and some very dodgy police work and questionable evidence. Is this S A justice in action?

merlotgran Wed 14-May-14 11:35:15

Poor Reeva's family. They must feel so frustrated on top of all the other emotions they're having to deal with.

The lawyers will be raking it in with all these delays. hmm

moomin Wed 14-May-14 12:05:50

Exactly what I was thinking Soutra

Mamie Wed 14-May-14 12:15:44

Except that it is the prosecution who have asked for the examination, not the defence.
www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/14/oscar-pistorius-psychiatric-evaluation

Grandmanorm Wed 14-May-14 13:26:44

Reminds me of the O J Simpson trial and what a nonsense that was!

Mishap Wed 14-May-14 13:29:04

I have no idea about the rights and wrongs of this, but I do feel for that poor woman's family. This must all be such an ordeal on top of the initial loss.

whenim64 Wed 14-May-14 13:53:05

I think it could be useful to know the extent of Pistorius' 'hyper-vigilance' due to his alleged anxiety disorder as after all these years of training and self-discipline, if he hasn't conquered this condition, he could present a high risk of doing it again! Sounds like prosecution are hedging their bets in case he is sent to a secure hospital for treatment and his dangerousness could be put on record in case of an early attempt at discharge ('I'm cured' after a short hospital spell). The family will have been advised about the reasons for covering all eventualities. If he's found not to have a serious anxiety disorder, he could be treated during a prison sentence, if convicted.

JessM Fri 16-May-14 07:18:29

Its interesting that the case will be decided by a black female judge (who would have thought, in the days of apartheid...) not a jury.
I think there is something to be said for this approach particularly in such a high profile trial where jury members cannot possibly be expected not to have read anything about the defendant or the case.

Aka Fri 16-May-14 07:34:52

I think it's the prosecution calling his bluff from what I read. His defence is claiming this 'anxiety disorder' so the prosecution is saying 'ok, prove it! Let's do a proper assessment'

Aka Fri 16-May-14 07:36:00

Isn't he going to be confined for up to a month on a secure unit while this is carried out?

Grannyknot Fri 16-May-14 07:44:41

Aka he is being assessed as an outpatient, at one if the oldest and most respected mental health hospitals in South Africa.

Judge Masipa is assisted and supported by two assessors in deciding this case, I notice (from watching) that they are both women. So although there is no jury, the verdict will not come from only her (although I presume she will have the final say, so to speak).

Grannyknot Fri 16-May-14 07:45:38

... of the oldest... Kindle finger!

Gagagran Fri 16-May-14 08:31:56

I think the assessor on the Judge's left is a chap Grannyknot.

Grannyknot Fri 16-May-14 08:43:32

Maybe the other woman is Masipa' s assistant - thanks, Gaga.

Gagagran Fri 16-May-14 08:48:58

The one in front of the Judge? I had her down as the clerk to the court but who knows? I have been very impressed by Judge Masipa's quiet, calm authority but I have got a bit of a crush on Gerrie Nel, the prosecutor. I seem to be attracted to powerful men!

Grannyknot Fri 16-May-14 11:05:26

Gaga grin re Gerrie Nel. He doesn't do it for me. You could be right re Clerk of the Court, there are many para-legal positions in the SA Justice System too.

Gagagran Fri 16-May-14 11:27:00

I know Grannyknot - I like the strangest men! I normally go for the tall dark handsome variety but there's something about Gerrie that chimes with me! Aren't we funny creatures?

rubylady Thu 07-Aug-14 22:11:37

Well, summing up started today. There is only OP who knows what happened on fateful morning. It must be going through his mind all the time they are speaking although apparently he is drawing while they sum up this case and yawning too they've just reported. Totally disrespectful in front of her parents.

The trouble is, his version does not make sense. How do you manage to fire four bullets for one through a door by mistake or think there is an intruder behind it? It was still intent, but they have to have without reasonable doubt that he knew it was Reeva behind the door and he intended to shoot to kill her. Poor young woman and I really do feel for her mother listening to the whole trial but she is doing it for her darling daughter. Her father is there today too, he looks tired and emotional.

Gerrie Nel is excellent in his job, spot on and putting it all very eloquently, as he always has done. I wouldn't trust Barry Roux as far as I could throw him, something about him looks shifty.

I wouldn't say the OJ case was nonsense. A young couple got killed in that one and that was wrong but the police seemed to make mistakes that resulted in an acquittal.

I've been on jury service and it is quite nerve wracking. I loved it though, would do it again if I were able.

It is going to take weeks for the verdict on this case, all the time OP is out of prison. I believe he was an accident waiting to happen.

GrannyTwice Thu 07-Aug-14 22:16:38

But no jury in this case - I wonder if that's a good or a bad thing?

POGS Fri 08-Aug-14 11:41:19

Oscar may or may not be taking the 'Pistorious'. but the BBC and SKY News channels certainly are.

There is so much news going on and all we get is this.

Eloethan Sat 09-Aug-14 00:34:50

I've been thinking the same POGS. Not just short recorded extracts from the trial but lengthy live coverage. I just don't get it.

suebailey1 Sat 09-Aug-14 07:53:15

I think as they say on Eastenders ' he's going daaaaaahn'.

Gagagran Sat 09-Aug-14 08:18:29

Well he is a world figure and a lot of people have been following the trial - including me. It's been fascinating to see how these barristers build their case. It's not compulsory to watch it Eloethan!

There is a lot going on in the Middle East and there is mega-coverage of that too - quite rightly. Why does that preclude having live coverage of the trial available for those of us who are interested?

Eloethan Sat 09-Aug-14 09:56:51

I know it's not compulsory to watch but it's been on the news channels, where I would expect to find national/international news.

Grannyknot Sat 09-Aug-14 10:07:55

eloethan it is international news ...