Gransnet forums

House and home

Is the worst household maintenance job

(38 Posts)
Stansgran Sat 30-Aug-14 14:09:00

Changing the lining in the cooker hood? Or cleaning out the garden shed? I've attacked both and I want to move house to a new build before I ever have to do it again. And Shelob's older sister was in the shed with me but I left at that point.

kittylester Sat 30-Aug-14 15:18:48

My cooker hood filters go in the dishwasher but to get them there involves touched ng them - eeekk!

My worst job is the dishwasher seals and rubbers! shock.

We don't have a shed but the garage is DH's domain as I deal with spiders in both understairs cupboards and in the porch!

glammanana Sat 30-Aug-14 16:00:18

Anything to do with the cooker apart from daily wipe down is dealt with by the man who comes with his van & equipment every 6 months or so he is a godsend and worth every penny I pay him.We don't have a shed as such just a tall store room which I do not inhabit at all that is purely up to OH or DSs far to dark and spidery for me thank you very much.

hildajenniJ Sat 30-Aug-14 19:43:24

Never been able to understand the aversion some people have to spiders. My worst job is cleaning out the kitchen cupboards, simply because I can't reach right to the back of the ones in the corner.

goldengirl Sat 30-Aug-14 20:05:58

Housework in general is the worst maintenance job for me. Mainly because its not a one off; once done it has to be done again.....and again.....

vampirequeen Sat 30-Aug-14 20:19:19

I hate ironing.

susieb755 Sat 30-Aug-14 21:00:10

The outside loo is pretty grim, but I also hate cleaning the cooker, and doing the stairs

JessM Sat 30-Aug-14 21:19:29

Hand down the drain.

Judthepud2 Sun 31-Aug-14 23:22:45

Keeping DH's mess from covering every single surface in the house!!! shock

Iam64 Mon 01-Sep-14 08:44:48

I wish I'd not read this thread. New kitchen in 12 months ago - what's a cooker hood ?!

suebailey1 Mon 01-Sep-14 09:10:34

I really enjoy household cleaning especially the mucky ones. DH hates anything up a ladder and we both detest decorating so its all magnolia and lots of pictures for us.

Polygran Mon 01-Sep-14 09:20:39

Don't mind the cleaning too much. It's finding the time to do it and DH's mess everywhere!

etheltbags1 Mon 01-Sep-14 09:25:08

the very worst job possible is cleaning out the sink plug holes. I live alone and not got an idiot of a husband to push this job onto. Its fine when I pluck up courage and wretching my guts out, pull out the hairs (basin)and bits of food (sink) etc. I then put lots of smelly bleach and its lovely for a few months but its getting to be that time again as when I have a shower(over the bath) it fills the bath without putting the plug in and really disgusting when I clean my teeth in basin the basin fills up before ive finished. I don't know how to resolve this one.

Iam64 Mon 01-Sep-14 09:29:36

"not got an idiot of a husband to push this job onto"

Nice

yorke Mon 01-Sep-14 09:31:52

I like ironing!

whenim64 Mon 01-Sep-14 09:35:01

Iam64 I chose not to have a cooker hood when my new kitchen was installed. Noisy things, gather muck and I used to turn mine off because the noise annoyed me. Revelation - my kitchen has suffered no ill effects and it doesn't smell!

yorke Mon 01-Sep-14 09:35:36

I hate cleaning the cooker. I also find cleaning the house a chore now as my husband comes in from gardening and bring it in with him!

HollyDaze Mon 01-Sep-14 09:49:19

Housework in general is the worst maintenance job for me. Mainly because its not a one off; once done it has to be done again.....and again.....

My sentiments too. I love it when the house is all clean and fresh smelling, I look at the kitchen floor: spotlessly clean - then the dogs traipse mud in again from where they've been digging up my flower beds (again) angry and I think - what was the point sad

HollyDaze Mon 01-Sep-14 09:50:39

I also find cleaning the house a chore now as my husband comes in from gardening and bring it in with him!

And why is it that some men wash their hands after being in the garden and so much dirt is wiped onto the towel confused

Iam64 Mon 01-Sep-14 09:51:06

whenim - I plan to further examine the cooker hood when I do the Monday morning clean up later on. I did take out the guard, and put it in the dishwasher several months ago, because it felt greasy.
We are having a fire replaced next week, and have agreed today is the day we empty all the book shelves in the sitting room. That's a dreadful job, especially as it will involve 'discussions' about which books are kept, and which are re-cycled.

vampirequeen Mon 01-Sep-14 10:01:32

Ethelbags... I use Mr Muscle gel plug hole cleaner every three months or so. Pour the gel down the plug hole. Wait half an hour or longer if you wish. Turn on the cold tap to rinse it away. Works a treat even if it's been left too long and the plug hole has started to block.

etheltbags1 Mon 01-Sep-14 10:08:28

I will try it but DD says its really expensive so will have to see if it stops me retching. Iv'e got to the state now that each day I say "I will do the sinks tomorrow" and of course I don't do them.

vampirequeen Mon 01-Sep-14 10:19:09

It's £3 for a 500ml bottle in ASDA atm. I'm sure you can get it cheaper elsewhere. Often you can find it with 100% extra free and do two sinks for the price of one.

berdie Mon 01-Sep-14 11:16:54

I must be the idiot of a husband, I like cleaning, once we get back off our holidays, I'm going to blitz the cooker, plug holes and everything else. Must be OCD. smile wink.

vampirequeen Mon 01-Sep-14 11:19:57

I like cleaning too.