Gransnet forums

Gardening

Small green 'plastic' greenhouses

(14 Posts)
rosesarered Fri 22-Aug-14 15:31:05

Before we spend a whole load of money on a small greenhouse, have been contemplating getting [for next year] one of those cheap small green plastic jobbies, just to hasten any tomatoes cucumbers etc.Does anyone have one, and what pros and cons are there please?As a real greenhouse is so expensive [and not sure how much we would use it, ]this seems like a cheap alternative.

ffinnochio Fri 22-Aug-14 15:42:10

I'd also be interested to know of any pitfalls/successes with this type of greenhouse. I've just bought a cheap one at Lidl.

Had a lovely glass one in my old garden in the UK and miss having one.
I've often thought it's too hot here to need one. Being able to bring seeds along etc. is a pleasure. - also hoping it'll help overwinter my geraniums. As we're now staying for the foreseeable future, thought it a good idea to try out this cheapy before investing.

Nelliemoser Fri 22-Aug-14 16:09:45

My worry is they might just blow over in the first gale.

I am going to buy a small one to put in my potting shed to try to over winter some of my more tender plants. The potting shed is wooden with a large area of glass and is not reliably insulated.

As what I am thinking of getting is relatively inexpensive it might just do what I want it for.

shysal Fri 22-Aug-14 16:34:04

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-TIER-MINI-GREENHOUSE-GROWHOUSE-COMPACT-PLASTIC-METAL-GREEN-HOUSE-ZIP-COVER-/121398513539?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c43ea4f83
I just have one of these. It is fine for sowing seeds and potting on, but not big enough for tomatoes or cucumbers to stay in all season. It does catch the wind so I have tied it to the fence! The plastic cover lasts for a few years then I replace it. I don't have the space for anything bigger, so this suits my needs perfectly.
I have seen really cheap larger walk-in versions in Wilkinson and on Ebay, which might suit you. I hope you find something suitable.

Anne58 Fri 22-Aug-14 16:43:50

Some friends have had them in various sizes, and it would seem that the only real problem is the wind.

(Weather sort, not flatulence blush )

Aka Fri 22-Aug-14 17:07:06

My sister had one but it disintegrated in the wind....sort of twisted and snapped and bits came off.

Aka Fri 22-Aug-14 17:08:08

Or so she said. She might have fallen into tripped over it after a few too many.

Elegran Fri 22-Aug-14 17:20:24

My son had one. He found the main problem was that slugs crept in under the sides and found themselves in paradise.

ninathenana Fri 22-Aug-14 17:20:50

DH has cemented the frame into the ground due to it ending up in neighbours garden. He has replaced the original cheep plastic with a better one. It works well for bringing on seeds. You need to keep a very close eye on ventilation.

janerowena Fri 22-Aug-14 20:05:35

We always have one, I harden off veg before planting it out in the garden for perhaps a week first, and keep it in the fruit cage so as not to let pigeons or whatever in. Yes, wind is a problem. Place something heavy on the bottom shelf, either a brick at either side or a nice big paving slab. Tie it to a fence or post, there should be strings at the back to do that with. They last around five years if they are weighted and tied down, about 6 months if not...

We did buy a much larger one to try to keep some of DBH's black plants alive in situ, but it blew away. Twice. The third time although it was tied down, it twisted and broke the metal, as Aka says.

My sister had one that she kept for years under a covered walkway. A bit of protection from too much strong sun and wind makes them last much longer.

ffinnochio Fri 22-Aug-14 21:22:19

Good tips. Thanks! smile If mine lasts a couple of years I'll be happy.

sherish Sat 23-Aug-14 16:47:34

We bought one this year to put tomato plants in. We have been really pleased with it and have brought on seedlings too. They are light but we put a brick inside at the bottom and it was OK in the heavy winds we had recently. I would recommend them

rosesarered Sat 23-Aug-14 17:21:16

Thank you all for the replies, I think it will be worth it [they are so cheap anyway.] It will be situated on gravel next to a fence in a sheltered position, but have taken note of the weighting it down and tying it as well.I only want a small one, I think the larger ones would blow away janerowena simply because they are larger and full of air.
Elegran grin If I find those slugs, they will be in Hell!
Aka grin hope your sister doesn't read your post.
phoenix 'let the wind blow free, where e'er you be!'

ffinnochio Sat 23-Aug-14 18:36:34

Mine is now up. Roomier than expected, and more robust than I had imagined so it exceeds my expectations. It's protected on two sides, we dug it into the gravel, and have weighted it with large stones at the corners.
Fingers crossed. An added bonus - it looks very comfortable where it is. smile