Gransnet forums

Food

Lakeland soup/sauce freezer bags

(9 Posts)
ferry23 Tue 16-Apr-24 12:41:19

Does anyone use these?

I thought I'd try them out as I make a lot of soup and they take up less space than a plastic container.

Presumably there must be a knack to getting a liquid into a bag without if falling over, or the liquid going everywhere except inside the bloomin' bag. I bashed out the bottom and stood it in a bowl to try and get some stability but I got into a right mess.

They seem to be made for people with 3 hands grin.

Any tips gratefull received!

midgey Tue 16-Apr-24 13:01:00

How about using a measuring jug? Might that shape be easier?

Mel1967 Tue 16-Apr-24 13:04:50

Definitely stand the bag in a measuring jug and poor in.
Or I get my husband or son to hold the bag open and poor it in

GrannyGravy13 Tue 16-Apr-24 13:07:40

I think there is a specific stand made to hold the bags

shysal Tue 16-Apr-24 13:31:49

I use silicone zip-lock freezer bags which are easily washed for re-use. I also have this bag holder, but a beaker works just as well.
Bag holders

Sago Tue 16-Apr-24 13:52:02

The best freezer bags are ikea. I reuse mine and will probably get 10-15 uses from each bag.
They are very strong and worth every penny.
Always use a measuring jug or similar and never use liquids that are hot allow to cool first.

Nannarose Tue 16-Apr-24 16:28:20

I use the Lakeland ones. Write on the bag first. Put hand inside and push open a bit so the empty bag can stand ( may be a bit wobbly) on flat surface. Put liquid into a jug or similar. Hold bag steady with one hand, and pour slowly. First small amount of liquid will steady the bag.

ferry23 Tue 16-Apr-24 16:45:52

A bag holder - who knew? That would do the trick.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Floradora9 Tue 16-Apr-24 21:22:13

I use old Cart D'Or ice cream containers. I freeze the soup in them then decant into bags to save space. I have used the same ones for years.