Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Estranged Son and Future Granddaughter

(16 Posts)
coffeequeen Wed 17-Apr-24 02:56:41

Hello everyone,

This is my first post and my reason for writing is that this is not a subject that I could never discuss to anyone and I was desperate for advice. Although to be honest writing the situation down may be cathartic in itself. So here goes:

I am estranged from my youngest son who is now in his late twenties. Since his mid teens he has committed numerous immoral and illegal acts. These involve drugs, theft, violence, sexual crimes and domestic abuse. Numerous women have suffered as a result of his behaviour but ultimately he has no convictions on file. We tried to help him in every possible way but we failed. For our own sake and that of his siblings we have had no face to face contact for several years, and approx two years ago he completely cut us out of his life. This was both heart breaking and I admit also a huge sense of relief. The rest of our family are also estranged from him as one by one his behaviour became more than they could tolerate.

I do have great relationships with my other children, my daughter in law and my son in laws. I adore the four grandchildren I have. They are the loves of my life and bring me untold joy. I have close and loving relationships with all four and see or speak to them every day.

My estranged son is now in a abusive relationship with a young and vulnerable young lady and they are expecting a little girl in June. All I can think of is this innocent child being raised in such circumstances. I also think of how much I love my current grandchildren and soon there will be another one and I wonder how I will feel for this innocent child.

I should also say I work in child protection myself and so know the reality of the system. Although I would have no hesitation in making a referral, I also know it would be unlikely the child be removed until after something had happened. And of course I do know that my son's girlfriend may well be a wonderful mother and in my heart I hope she will leave him. But right now that seems unlikely. I did think of reaching out to her but I admit I am too frightened of repercussions (from my son).

Hope this isn't too vague and re-reading it this comes across as if I have no feelings for my son. I do, I have, I love him so very much, I risked my relationships with all my other family as I forgave him again and again. But for their sake his psychopathic personality and unforgiveable behaviour mean I cannot risk him being in our lives again.

But that innocent little girl. I don't know how to feel, let alone what to do.

Grams2five Wed 17-Apr-24 04:16:46

I think a he’s as it is,
There’s nothing to do. If you’ve had no contact for years how do you know what’s going on his life at all? I’d be hesitant to invoke child services based on things I know happened years ago about a man with no convictions becaue it seems that wouldn’t really be anything for them to go on? Though I admit I’m not familiar with what they’d act on and what not. Seems like it wouldn’t be helpful. Is it possible your son has gotten treatment or sober or whatever the case may be?

DiamondLily Wed 17-Apr-24 07:22:26

Unless there is anyone in your family who is in touch with the young lady, it’s very difficult to know.

The hospital, where she has ante-natal, or her GP, may well pick up on anything that concerns them.

You can as you know, make a referral to SS, based on concerns, but they won’t be able to do much, unless anything happens.

A difficult position to be in. 💐

Allsorts Wed 17-Apr-24 07:58:59

Such a difficult situation but there is nothing you can do. Let’s hope she has a supportive family as she will need it. She might be as he is or he might be trying to change as he’s met the right girl, it’s amazing what a difference it might be to him, knowing he’s going to be a father, When he is a father only he can decide which sort he will be, only she can decide if it’s what she wants. You are aware of how the system works and will know what to do if you have to. The child comes first, if they were a disaster you will do what you have to.

Smileless2012 Wed 17-Apr-24 09:03:29

Hello coffeequeen. I was so sorry to read your post and I cannot imagine what you must be going through.

I'm wondering how you found out that your son's going to be a dad and that he's in an abusive relationship with a young lady who is vulnerable.

Is it possible for you to be kept informed on the child's welfare by this person? It may give you some peace of mind to know you'll be alerted to any behaviour around her that you feel you can act upon.

coffeequeen Wed 17-Apr-24 15:28:46

Re reading my own words I realise I have probably not explained the situation well at all. There is no one I know currently in contact with my son and the young lady is estranged from her family also. It was her who announced her pregnancy on facebook. I know of things from the police directly when he is arrested, the local press and the fact he posts it all on facebook himself. In recent months things have escalated so we are not talking of historical crimes. And we are talking the worst of crime that is so difficult to prosecute. He would pass a DBS check though of course all local police know him well.

But thank you for your understanding and support.

M0nica Wed 17-Apr-24 16:19:57

The simple answer is that there is nothing you can do. The only thing I can think of is that you monitor his Facebook posts, printing out any that are concerning and building up a dossier so that if at any reason you do have good reason to worry, based on thses posts, you can take the dossier to the police or social services as evidence of your concern.

Smileless2012 Wed 17-Apr-24 16:38:19

Having read you second post coffeequeen I think M0nica's advice is worth taking on board as that is all you can do but at least it's something flowers.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 17-Apr-24 16:45:25

Has he ever been cautioned by the police? That would have been recorded.

pandapatch Wed 17-Apr-24 17:37:28

It is very hard and upsetting, as I know from experience, but I am surprised you hear from the police when he is arrested, it was certainly not the case with my son, even thought we were still trying to support him, it was so hard to find out what was going on because of data protection etc.

VioletSky Thu 18-Apr-24 19:03:26

I'm so sorry you are in this situation, it must be incredibly difficult

If it were me I would probably reach out to the mum and say that if she ever needs any help or support I would do my best to be there for her.

coffeequeen Thu 18-Apr-24 23:19:06

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas everyone.

Parsley3 Fri 19-Apr-24 11:01:53

You are in a terrible situation, coffeequeen and your post is heartbreaking. There is some good advice on here and I hope that the situation may not turn out to be be as bad as you fear. Stay strong.

Allsorts Fri 19-Apr-24 17:22:45

Coffee Queen, it is truly awful but you can’t do anything but look after yourself. I can imagine how hard it must be.

coffeequeen Sat 20-Apr-24 04:15:54

Parsley3

You are in a terrible situation, coffeequeen and your post is heartbreaking. There is some good advice on here and I hope that the situation may not turn out to be be as bad as you fear. Stay strong.

Oh thank you so very much. I was truly comforted by your words.

coffeequeen Sat 20-Apr-24 04:17:46

Allsorts

Coffee Queen, it is truly awful but you can’t do anything but look after yourself. I can imagine how hard it must be.

Thank you so very much.