Gransnet forums

Gransnet forums

Celebrities - annoying "success stories"?
Noisy neighbours - how to approach?
Oxfordshire - who's in for a meetup?

5:2 Fasting Diet

(380 Posts)
facebook button twitter button email this page print this page
GrandmaH Tue 29-Jan-13 15:41:08

Has anyone else tried this or is trying it now?
I started today & it looks too easy to be true.
I missed all the hype last summer & only heard about it in Rado Times last week so i would love to hear from anyone who has tried it.
First day of fasting & to be honest I feel quite normal but then I often forget lunch anyway if I'm busy.
I cannot believe how much weight I have managed to put on in a year following some family problems- typical comfort eater! Now I need to get myself in hand quickly.

shysal Tue 29-Jan-13 22:23:13

Quite a few of us have been trying this tyoe of diet, see this old thread. www.gransnet.com/forums/dieting/1193212-Horizon-intermittent-fasting-diet?msgid=24964973. There is also a Q&A on the home page if you click on the banner logo at the top of the page.
I think this type of regime really works for life.

Marty Wed 30-Jan-13 08:50:28

I started the diet yesterday and it was fine. I made a gorgeous tomato soup for supper and my husband had bread with his. I managed to keep to 500 calories. Trick is to keep busy and not get the nibbles. I think I can do this!!
Tomorrow is my next Fast day and it will be veg soup this time. Luckily both my husband and I love soup. Will weigh myself next week and see if I am a bit lighter. I am being careful on my non Fast days as well - but that is my decision as I need to loose about 10kilos.
Keep in touch GrandmaH and lets see how we do.

GrandmaH Wed 30-Jan-13 15:36:06

Thank you- I'll have a look.
First day went very well,I wasn't hungry although I did feel light headed around 3.30.
Not extra hungry today either.
If it works it seems a really good habit to get into.

nanapug Wed 30-Jan-13 16:49:30

Oh I am very pleased to see this new thread on this diet. Thank you GrandmaH. I too have started it today and am doing ok so far. Am drinking hot water instead of tea or coffee. Don't like black tea/coffee or herbal but find the hot water quite pleasant. Have bought two packs of fresh sunshine vegetables from Waitrose for my supper which will only be 128 cals and means I can have an apple or blueberries as well. I also bought some Miso soup which was quite pleasant. It would be helpful for me if people added to this thread what low cal stuff they have found good. Lets keep this thread going and support each other. Good luck to those of you who have just started xx

Notsogrand Wed 30-Jan-13 16:55:27

I've been thinking about this for a while, so will watch this thread with interest.
Before Christmas I had some success with a low carb diet, but it isn't working too well now and it seems tricky to maintain.
From the bits I've read about the 5-2 diet there are other health benefits as well as weight loss.
Good luck to those starting out on 5-2!

nanapug Wed 30-Jan-13 17:04:07

Oh do join us Notso. I have just read the other thread and got the impression that you need to eat all the cals in one go but in the book I have it says the cals can be spread (which I have to do because of medication). What have you all read and feel please?

Notsogrand Wed 30-Jan-13 17:31:59

On 'fasting' days, your 500 calories can be spread over the day nanapug, that's what it says in all of the on-line articles.
I think I will give this a go...why wait?
Do your 2 'fasting' days have to be the same days each week I wonder, or can they change to fit in with what you're doing?
I shall go for Friday this week as first day of 500 calories. (Good job I like cabbage soup)
Can we post on here about how we make up our 500 calories? It will be helpful to swap ideas. I suppose the trick to it is to plan ahead.

I just read an article about this diet which highlighted its possible detrimental impact upon fertility. Any of us worried about that?

BAnanas Wed 30-Jan-13 17:39:00

I'm on it, I'm on my second week, tomorrow will be a fasting day. I move my days around and make sure they don't interfere with anything I have arranged, I like that flexibility, I never do a day at week-ends too many temptations. I do a Monday and Thursday, or a Tuesday or Friday. I read somewhere that Michael Moseley said the psychological effect of knowing that you can have a day off the next day cannot be underestimated and I think that is very true, it really keeps me going knowing I can eat normally the next day. I have tried other diets such as the Atkins and found that I could not keep that going, I would have killed for an apple! I need a solution that I can stick to for forever really. I like the concept that the body repairs itself during the fasting days.

Fondasharing Wed 30-Jan-13 17:44:25

My husband and I have been using this 5:2 method for several months now and it is so successful, I am sure we will always use it to lose/or maintain our weight targets.

We vary the 2 days according to our social calendar!! So this week it is Monday and Wednesday and then another week we may do Tuesday and Thursday...just so long as it is not two consecutive days.

Today we had a fruit "Smoothie" for breakfast, i.e. one scoop of protein powder and some summer fruits (defrosted blueberries, blackberries, blackcurrants, raspberries). For lunch we had soup, and tonight I will have more soup (vegetable and chicken) and my husband will have a poached egg on wholemeal toast. We also have an apple and orange each in between plus usual tea and coffee. So, not strictly 500 and 600 calories each but pretty close and it doesn't seem to affect the results. Soup is our favourite filler on these days. We actually enjoy the fasting days now (well at least I do!!) because the next day we can eat pretty much what we like within reason and still lose weight each week (for my husband) and I maintain my weight very easily after many years of going up and down all the time depending on the food intake each week.

Hope this helps.

shysal Wed 30-Jan-13 20:44:53

A useful filler if you are feeling deprived is half a butternut squash cut into chips and roasted with spray oil.The squash is 9 calories and the oil is 1 cal per squirt. This gives a huge plateful. I usually add a tablespoon of Hellman's Lighter than Light mayo as a dip, for 10 cals.
I have reached a bit of a plateau with my alternate day fasting, having lost over 2.5 st, but am persevering. It is now just a way of life. I feel so much better, my resting pulse rate is down, and I am sure my memory has improved a bit.

Notsogrand Wed 30-Jan-13 22:06:52

The squash snack sounds good. How long did it take to lose that amount shysal?

shysal Wed 30-Jan-13 22:57:19

Notso it took about 4 months to lose the 2.5 stone. I have remained the same for about a month and still have a bit to lose, so I plan to increase the exercise and cut down a bit on eating days.

annodomini Wed 30-Jan-13 23:22:54

shysal - that's inspiring. I think I must try this diet.

nanapug Thu 31-Jan-13 13:39:55

Well, my first day went well yesterday. Yes, I was hungry but I didn't weaken and felt "good" at the end of the day. The strange bit was realising that I didn't have to do it today. I think that will definitely make it easier. Trouble is I have so much on over the next few days I am struggling to find a day I can do it again. Will have to sort it though. I would love to loose two stone as I am thinking I will need knee surgery at some time and know that they will tell me to loose weight so I may as well pre-empt it. Who else is going to do it? Its much better with support xx

janthea Thu 31-Jan-13 13:45:31

I've just bought the book and am looking forward to starting. All your experiences have been very useful.

Gally Thu 31-Jan-13 13:55:02

I started it yesterday, by default. Won't go into all the nasty details, but I was sick (most unusual for me) and haven't eaten yet. Does that count as one of my 2 days? grin

Notsogrand Thu 31-Jan-13 15:14:34

shysal, that's brilliant! I'm more determined than ever now.

Tomorrow is my first 500 calorie day, and I have everything lined up so no excuses!

fionafi Thu 31-Jan-13 16:45:55

I have been using a variety of fasting diets for many years (for weight control and also the spiritual side) ... it was interesting to see the Horizon programmme and the new Michael Mosley book ... MMs book seems to add little to the programme is is quite costly. I currently use The No Nonsense Guide to 5:2 Diets ebbook (avid Kindle reader too!) as a simple inexpensive guide [[http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Nonsense-Guide-Intermittent-ebook/dp/B00AZ8BZHY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359648136&sr=8-1

Currently maintaining 5ft8in and 8.5 st !!

fionafi Thu 31-Jan-13 16:48:59
shysal Fri 01-Feb-13 08:07:36

I have the M.M. book, which I think is more readable than most.

nanapug Fri 01-Feb-13 12:13:23

Well I have had an excellent start to day two of the fast this week. I slept so badly last night (bl**dy new mattress) that I decided to go back to bed after seeing GS off to school, and have a sleep. I have only just got up so it's lunch time now and I have saved my breakfast calories!!!
How did you get on Notso? Are you seriously going to do it Gally? I hope you are feeling better now.Have you started Janthea? How about you Anno? I really must measure my waist and hips today as I have dieted before and regretted not doing that.
We normally have drinks and nibbles on a Friday night, so will miss that, but I can have that tomorrow instead, which is something I find good about this diet.

nanapug Fri 01-Feb-13 18:46:20

I don't get this. So far today all I have had is one egg. It is now nearly seven pm and I have fed the GCs with stuff I would normally pick at and I have no desire to at all. Yes, I am hungry, and I am going to eat something soon, but my head is in a very different place to where it normally is when I diet. Both my DDs have said they want to try it too. What's more I can go out to lunch tomorrow with my DD and GD and not feel guilty. Love it......

Notsogrand Fri 01-Feb-13 20:46:07

I'm nearly at the end of my first 500 calorie day and it's been ok.

I haven't read the book yet but heard that for the maximum health benefits, a 16 hour break from food is recommended...includes being asleep of course. So I didn't have any food until after lunchtime today. That was ok too.

I can't honestly say that I'm hungry, but I would like something else to eat! It's just habit isn't it? You don't need the food, but you want the taste of it. So I'm going to have an early night with a new book and remove myself from the temptation.

graninfrance Fri 01-Feb-13 21:42:38

I started the 5:2 diet last week and lost over a pound. I haven't found it difficult so far and have managed to avoid thinking about food too much. I'm vegetarian anyway so a good veggie soup has been very enjoyable and filling, without too many calories. I'm doing Mondays and Fridays, as that fits in with my voluntary work (in France, and throughout January we had 'galette' at each session!) It's a good job January is over - I never eat that much cake normally.

Gally Fri 01-Feb-13 22:35:56

nanapug. Yes I am going to do it once I get home on Sunday. I had a good head start to get me in the mood - not that I would have particularly chosen to do it that way - but only have 3 weeks before leaving for Oz when everything will go haywire again confused. Good luck with your effort - sounds as if it will go well and, of course, to everyone one else cupcake

Grannyknot Sat 02-Feb-13 08:18:54

Gally stop it with the cupcake emoticon! I had a 'low calorie' day yesterday, didn't count them, but that's my way of easing into it. I had a headache at the end of the day. Have bought the book and will aim for twice a week, I wonder (must read the Q&A thread) - is there any benefit in doing it only once a week? Do you still lose but just more slowly?

I think a big boon for the low calorie days/diets is to drink caffeine free and tea without milk, there are so many smashing teas on the shelves now - Ginger and Lime, etc. Not that I think caffeine adds calories, but perhaps it stimulates appetite? Anyway I have a friend at work who has lost quite a bit of weight over time by simply stopping drinking milky tea (she was drinking lots of it).

Notsogrand Sat 02-Feb-13 08:25:37

I can't find the Q & A thread for this diet....anyone know where it's hiding?

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 02-Feb-13 09:08:52
j07 Sat 02-Feb-13 09:34:44

See. You've got to do it now Notso. After Cari's done all that finding it work.

You still sticking to the fruit Cari? smile

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 02-Feb-13 09:36:56

Interspersed with Lindor grin

j07 Sat 02-Feb-13 09:54:21

shock!!!! (no I'm not wink) grin

Notsogrand Sat 02-Feb-13 10:01:36

Thanks Cari. I'm already doing it Jings, but just wanted to check that I'm doing it properly! I will look to see if Lindor are included. grin

juneh Sat 02-Feb-13 11:42:52

I think it sounds great in theory and believe it will work but something is holding me back from starting it. I have dieted all my adult life, battled to either keep wt off as a younger woman then gained as I have grown older. Many of the diets I have done have been harsh with hunger and starvation type diets impacting on my body. I have done the lipotrim diet where I lost 2 stone in 8weeks then put it all and more back on. Now I am using relaxation and healthy eating to diet which is mostly about my state of mind. I am tempted by this 2day fasting process but perhaps I am resistant because of my earlier encounters with anorexia/bulemia?
I will give it a try today and see how I feel. It would be useful to know what people eat for their 500 calories in the 24 hours.

jeni Sat 02-Feb-13 12:18:22

Cari. Is that advertising?shock

j07 Sat 02-Feb-13 12:18:23

I bought this book back in the early '70's. Slimmed DH down using it.

#nothing newunderthesun

jeni Sat 02-Feb-13 12:20:48

juneh I had cup o soup, herb teas, scrambled egg whites on a crumpet with a scrape of butter, a banana and that as enough!

jeni Sat 02-Feb-13 12:22:15

Oh! And wine

Tegan Sat 02-Feb-13 12:35:10

juneh; I too have been on diets all my life and can't believe that, at 61 I'm still on one. My weight has gone up and down by up to 4 stones over the years and I'm heartily sick of it [although I did realise by my forties that I should be @ 9 1/2 stone and had been battling to be 8st or less for most of my life; lowest weight 7.3]. I think the swinging sixties have a lot to answer for [and Twiggy] although it's even worse for young women now. Had I known, in the sixties about the importance of good nutrition combined with exercise I think things would have been different. It was all 'eat less and be thin'.

juneh Sat 02-Feb-13 12:41:27

Thanks tegan & jeni for your responses. I have just had a bowl of porridge with some strawberries &blackberries. Would normally have some fruit with yogurt for breakfast but saved it. Not sure how many cals will weigh it up.

jeni Sat 02-Feb-13 12:48:17

Have you got the 'my fitness pal' app? It does it all for you.

juneh Sat 02-Feb-13 13:03:15

What is the fitness ap please

jeni Sat 02-Feb-13 13:07:44

Its an app for iPhone and iPads and I think other putters. You decide on your cal intake for the day, then input all your intake, it works out the cals and does the arithmetic.
If you do exercise eg ironing you put that in as well!
It's brill, lots of us are using it!

juneh Sat 02-Feb-13 13:19:49

Thanks will look into it. Off to do my ironing, pack a bag am off with a friend to a spa tomorrow. Yippee, so excited 2 days of being looked after :-) :-)

yogagran Sat 02-Feb-13 13:26:02

The Fast Diet book by Michael Mosley is on Amazon Daily Deal today for 99p (today only)

www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=node%3D341689031&field-keywords=fast+diet

yogagran Sat 02-Feb-13 13:26:53

Should have added that it's for Kindle owners

Dattyhunk Sat 02-Feb-13 16:31:30

Thanks for the tip on the fast diet book on kindle.Only found this site yesterday and am enjoying reading your posts.

shysal Sat 02-Feb-13 18:40:38

I have two good meals on my 500 cal days. I can make a substantial cottage pie using turkey breast mince, or a fish pie, for around 250 cals, I make 4 and freeze 3. For lunches I find mushrooms very useful at 2 cals each, I have loads, fried in spray oil, on 2 slices of toasted 50/50 crusts away bread (45 cal per slice), with marmite. Scrambled egg whites are good too at 20 cals each.
When I want to save time and have the counting done for me I buy M&S roast lamb meal for one, 170 cals, or their Count on Us filled Yorkshire puds at 210 cals.
Home made soups are easy at around 50 cals per serving, and so much more filling than cup-a-soups, which have about 90 cals.
I used to be a walking Weight Watchers point list, but now I am learning calorie values instead. Good luck to all who are embarking on this regime, I hope you will find it as easy as I have (I do alternate days).

shysal Sat 02-Feb-13 18:49:48

This book might be useful. 5-2 recipes.

jeni Sat 02-Feb-13 19:42:00

Purchased!

jeni Sat 02-Feb-13 20:23:37

Just read it. Seems very good and sensible
Very helpful
Thanks.

Kindle edition is very cheap.

juneh Sat 02-Feb-13 20:43:02

whow you have really thought this through, I think I have been OK today although did have my evening meal, did have porridge and fruit for lunch then had my dinner of meat and veg for tea. Didn't stick to the 500 but still have maintained my slimming world diet and more.
I am going away for a couple of days to a spa and will need to watch it but will do the fasting diet following your plan [Shysal]
Thanks for writing it out, it certainly doesn't seem like fasting does it.
smile

shysal Sat 02-Feb-13 21:25:42

I find it helps me to religiously write down the calories of everything I consume on fast days. Otherwise it would be so easy to cheat!
Good luck juneh, let us know how you get on. Hope you have a great spa break.

jeni Sat 02-Feb-13 21:32:06

I use the fitness pal app!

nanapug Mon 04-Feb-13 11:50:51

Day three of fasting for me today. Did eat rather too much over the weekend so was looking forward to it today. Think I am going to do three days this week to kick start the weight loss. Thought that rice cakes may be a good thing as the big ones are only 30cals so will give them a go. How are the rest of you getting on?

Tegan Mon 04-Feb-13 12:07:33

Think you should stick to the two days, nanpug. I find that, with dieting and/or exercise it's when you push yourself too much you have problems. Put the weekend behind you and just start again smile.

shysal Mon 04-Feb-13 12:11:01

nanaplug, I too have rice cakes, usually Snack a Jack cheese ones at 38 cals, a bit tastier than plain, with cottage cheese and slice of beefsteak tomato. Glad you are persevering, I look forward to hearing how you and others get on. As you can probably tell, I am hugely enthusiastic about intermittent fasting, it is the best thing that has happened to me and gives me hope for a healthy old age! sunshine

nanapug Mon 04-Feb-13 13:53:58

Wow, that gives me hope too, thanks shysal.
Yes, perhaps you are right Tegan, I do rather push myself too much. I crippled myself using the Wii a few years ago!! Two days it is. Just wish my old legs would let me exercise too x

Forzanonna Mon 04-Feb-13 17:55:08

Hi I'm new here - just finding my feet! Started the 5:2 diet today so I'm soaking up all the info I can - anything rather than eating!! don't feel just as hungry as I thought I would, but it's early days yet! Thanks for all the tips. smile

Marymore Mon 04-Feb-13 19:29:04

Me and Mr Marymore have been doing this diet for the last 4 weeks and we love it! I have lost a few pounds but quite honestly haven't been weighing myself because I feel so thin!!! I must say I only want to lose about 10lbs although I probably should lose more than that I'll be happy with 10lbs.

We have settled on doing the fast days on Monday & Thursday, we did do Tuesday & Thursday but found only having one day between fasts was a bit hard going. I love cooking and devising low calorie recipes and use My Fitness Pal for a calorie counter, you can also put recipes on there. My favourite things on fast days are Mushroom & Cauliflower soup (better than it sounds and really fills you up), Spinach Omelette with parmesan and a green salad, Ratatouille with fish and Bean & veg soup. They are all under 200 cals a portion. For breakfast I have half a tub of 0% Total greek yogurt and 75 grams of apple puree made with Bramley apples (no sugar), cinnamon and a few raisins. I leave my breakfast as long as I can. If I have some calories left at the end of the day I make a small cup of cocoa with skimmed milk, cocoa powder and a little tiny bit of sugar.

You have to keep busy on fast days and it's lovely when you wake up the next day and can eat what you like. I find I don't want to eat too much anyway. Good luck to all on the fasting diet, I think it's a winner

Galen Mon 04-Feb-13 19:47:29

Can we have the recipe for the soup? Sounds nice!

susieb755 Tue 05-Feb-13 19:14:57

No, its a silly idea,as are all faddy diets, and you can lose weight easily ( 5lbs in one week ) by following a healthy balanced diet, and cutting out fat.

juneh Tue 05-Feb-13 20:06:46

I have been to a lovely spa hotel for 2 days. I did quite well because I didn't seem to want to finish a meal even though the food was lovely. I felt almost above it all, quite weird. Any way thought tomorrow would do the fast to clear my system. I have also started to meditate with Deepach Chopra's self healing tape.

juneh Tue 05-Feb-13 20:07:33

I have been to a lovely spa hotel for 2 days. I did quite well because I didn't seem to want to finish a meal even though the food was lovely. I felt almost above it all, quite weird. Any way thought tomorrow would do the fast to clear my system. I have also started to meditate with Deepach Chopra's self healing tape.

yogagran Tue 05-Feb-13 23:27:51

I've been doing this diet now for several weeks, OH and I started it after the original programme on tv back in the autumn. He had a lot of weight to loose and I wanted to drop by about a stone. We've both done well, in fact I've managed to get under my original target weight and feel much, much better for it.

To answer susieb's earlier post - I don't agree that it's a silly idea. To me, the main attraction is that it's not a totally "all bad foods banned" diet. What you can't eat today - you can eat in moderation tomorrow. That's what's kept us going. Plus the fasting day seems to suit me and I often feel more energised that day than some of the in between days.

I can see that it will be a "way of life" change for me as I'm very happy with it.

Good luck to those who are giving it a try and to those who are still wondering - go on - do it and let us know how you get on

GrandmaH Wed 06-Feb-13 10:49:54

I am on my 2nd week now & to be honest I haven't really noticed it being a problem. I have lost 4lbs but I don't feel I am on a 'diet' as such. I don't understand why I don't feel hungry.In fact I was quite looking forward to fasting again this week. The only thing I miss is a cup of tea- it is not the same without milk but it's only for a day. I can drink my coffe black & herbal teas & I always drink a lot of water anyway.
I bought the book on Amazon for £3.99 free postage & so far have stuck to the meal plans. The tortilla with mushrooms, peppers & mozzarella last night was lovely & I am amazed that one egg & a slice of ham kept me from thinking about food all day.
I am doing Tuesdays & Thursdays to keep weekend free & I do a dance class on Mondays &Wednesdays evenings & I'm not sure if it would make a difference to energy levels.
I'll make & freeze some batches of soup at the weekend ready for next week.
So far I am very impressed.

nanapug Wed 06-Feb-13 14:29:12

I am sorry SuzieB but you say "you can loose 5lb in a week by...." You personally may be able to, but some of us struggle. As I said to my GP the other day "Don't you think at my age if I could loose weight I would. I would give any thing to be slimmer, and have been trying all my adult life" IMHO, if this way of life suits people, which it seems to, we must support each other to achieve it.
I too actually look forward to the fast days and feel absolutely fine and enjoy it.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 06-Feb-13 15:07:55

As per my post on another thread of this ilk - if anyone has been doing it for a while and would like to write a guest blog for us in more depth do let us know - blogs@gransnet.com

Marymore Wed 06-Feb-13 15:56:27

Here is my Mushroom and cauli soup recipe for anyone who wants it.

Mushroom & Cauliflower soup

Serves 2 - 155 cals per portion

270g Cauliflower
400g Mushrooms
1 stock cube (I used Knorr chicken)
About 1 pint boiling water
2 tsps olive oil
Thyme
Seasoning

Break mushrooms up and put in a bowl with thyme leaves, olive oil and seasoning and toss to coat. Put them into a large tin so that they are in a single layer and bake in a fairly hot oven for around 20 mins until they are cooked but not dried out. Put stock cube into a jug and make up with hot water. cut up cauliflower into florets and steam until soft.

When cauli is cooked let it cool and put into food processor with a bit of the stock and whizz adding more stock until you get a puree. . Add most of cooked mushrooms leaving a few for garnish and whizz again adding stock until you get the consistency you like. Add more water if necessary. Reheat and pour into bowls, scatter chopped up saved mushrooms on the top.

janeainsworth Wed 06-Feb-13 16:57:24

susie
'Cutting out fat' is dangerous advice.
Fats form part of a balanced diet and provide the body with essential vitamibns, as well as making food palatable.

nanapug Wed 06-Feb-13 17:01:40

Thanks Marymore for that recipe, it sounds yummy and I will try it x

Galen Wed 06-Feb-13 17:29:55

Right! Need to get cauliflower and mushrooms tomorrows,

Nelliemoser Wed 06-Feb-13 18:22:54

How does one get motivated to start a diet this weather? I need comfort food when its cold.

Is there a vegetarian version of that book?

However I am never going to be motivated to diet if I can't get off my backside to even Google the right book.

Oh! Heck!

nanapug Wed 06-Feb-13 18:29:44

It covers vegetarianism in the book Nellie. As long as you stick to the 500 cals on fast days you can eat what you like; so no excuse eh?! I like having soup on fast days as it is comforting. You could have 500 cals worth of chocolate if you wanted (not that any one would ;)).

susieb755 Wed 06-Feb-13 19:39:08

Hi Jane -true, I should have said cutting down on fat ! ( mind you I did have to cut it completely until I had my gall bladder removed ! smile )

janeainsworth Wed 06-Feb-13 19:49:22

susie well that's different, agreed smile

Maggiemaybe Wed 06-Feb-13 20:55:50

I've been doing the 5:2 now for 4 months, and it suits me. I don't find the fast days difficult at all, in fact I always feel quite virtuous at the end of the day (must be the Puritan in me!). And of course I always know that the next day I can have whatever I want. Such a treat after any other diet I've tried, as they've all spoilt my fun at some time - having a meal out with family or friends and silently calorie counting your way through it, and making dismal choices (second glass of wine or pudding?) isn't much fun.

The 5:2 has made me appreciate my food much more too, and though it sounds really pompous, it has also made me thankful for the fact that I can eat more or less what I want when I want, not a luxury afforded to most people in this world.

I'm not doing this one primarily to lose weight - though I have lost over half a stone while eating more than usual for 5 days each week. I was convinced by the health argument, and wanted to try something natural that promised to reduce my cholesterol levels, blood pressure and risk of developing Alzheimer's.

And I honestly think it is good for you. The last three times I've had my BP measured over the past 3 years, it's been a constant at around 134/85, which I haven't been happy with. I had my second Biobank check up at the weekend and it was measured at 118/74. For reasons I won't bore you with, I'm doing much less exercise now than I was at the time of the earlier checks, and I've now allowed more treats like cakes/chocolate into 5 days of my week. My job is particularly stressful at the moment too. I feel my BP should be higher now, and can't think of anything but the 5:2 that could have prompted the dramatic drop (apart from a bungling health professional doing the check, but I've discounted that - my man looked very competent!).

I found The 5:2 Diet Book: Feast for 5 Days a Week and Fast for 2 to Lose Weight, Boost Your Brain and Transform Your Health by Kate Harrison helpful - another Kindle download that's as cheap as the chips I now dare eat.

Forzanonna Wed 06-Feb-13 21:04:36

That's really positive Maggiemaybe. I'm on my second fast day tomorrow and reading your post confirms my intentions!

Maggiemaybe Wed 06-Feb-13 21:20:42

I hope it goes well for you, Forzanonna. I feel like a bit of a 5:2 zealot right now, so I want everyone to like it!

GrannieAnnie2 Thu 07-Feb-13 00:07:24

This is my first week on the 5:2 diet. I thought it might help to hear others experiences and keep me going! 3 years ago I lost over 5st - half of it has taken up residence once again and it is not welcome! Let's see how it goes .....

NonnaLi Thu 07-Feb-13 10:50:22

Tried the diet lost 4 lbls the first week second week nothing so have started back on Weight watchers will see how this goes - tacking food intake seems to help!

Cagsy Thu 07-Feb-13 11:37:16

So good to read all the positive stories here, I too have read the book and felt this was something that could become a way of life. Unlike others i haven't done other diets, just lived with being a good stone overweight for years, but now in my early 60s I feel I really should do something to ensure I stay healthy.
I work full time in our family business, we work from home & neither my DH or DS are interested in cutting down so I'm trying to work out how I could stick to so few calories whilst cooking for them, any ideas &/or experience please? I enjoy cooking but don't finish work until about 7pm and then prepare our meal and when I leave them to fend for themselves their choices are not usually very healthy. I also do quite a bit of voluntary work so, as ever, time is tight.
I wish I had more time to spend on these forums, you sound such a great bunch of women. Thanks

nanapug Thu 07-Feb-13 14:41:20

I cook normally for my OH Cagsy and eat what I want on my fasting days, but what I do is make sure that I cook things that are freezable, such as a casserole or chilli or curry or something quite often. I make enough for three or four portions and freeze the rest. Then on my fast days I have something for him that I just heat up and don't have to slave over the cooker making something I cant eat.

nanapug Thu 07-Feb-13 14:44:37

For those of you who like to have something at lunch time on the fast days I have discovered Miso soup (in packets). Only 29 cals per packet and really quite tasty. I had it with two rice cakes and feel perfectly fine for a mere 89 calories!!

Marymore Thu 07-Feb-13 15:07:52

I agree Maggiemaybe it is the psychology of the diet that appeals to me. Me and Mr Marymore spend a lot of time on fast days planning the food we are going to eat the next day. I also love the fact that you can fit the days around your life. A lot of people have said to me 'but aren't you hungry' and I say yes I do feel hungry sometimes but it doesn't hurt any of us to be a bit hungry.

I do like to keep busy on fast days and get out of the house (not so good at this time of year)

I weighed myself the other day and I am the lightest I have been for years and years. It is such a good feeling....and yesterday I had a (small) bit of cake!

GrandmaH Thu 07-Feb-13 15:19:13

Thanks for the recipe Marymore. Sounds lovely.
I'll give that a go next week.
I am just adaptng a recipe for Roasted Leek & Yellow pepper soup that I got on Lakeland site. The trouble is home made stock -which i suspect is much higher in calories than using a cube. I have gallons of the stuff cluttering up the freezer after Christmas so would like to use it up. Hopefully if I defrost it & take off the top where any fat should have risen to the top it will be OK.
Amazingly I have just made a 5th birthday cake for my DGD & I wasn't tempted to eat the offcuts. Now that is a first & I really do NOT understand why I don't want to eat on fast days- it must be physcological.

nanapug Thu 07-Feb-13 15:19:19

This will be the first Easter for years that I will not feel guilty having a bit of Easter egg!! It dawned on me today when I was looking at them in John Lewis, and I though if I have my fasting day the day before Easter I can enjoy some guilt free choc on the Sunday. That's what I like about this way of life smile

Marymore Thu 07-Feb-13 17:25:40

Yes GrandmaH I've wondered about home made stock, I have some in the freezer as well. It's difficult to judge how many calories are in it. Hope you like the mushroom soup, we love it (but then I love any food on the fast day)

GrannieAnnie2 Thu 07-Feb-13 19:43:55

I agree with those who have said that the psychological benefit is knowing that you will be 'eating' again the next day ...no more feeling that you're stuck on a regime that is inflexible. I've tried many different ways of trying to keep my weight under control, but this seems to me to be much more workable than anything else. Also, no-one is being prescriptive about what you eat and when .. you can do your own thing. Have now bought a recipe book for when my imagination (always limited when it comes to cooking!!) needs a helping hand.

nanapug Fri 08-Feb-13 10:24:36

Woo hoo, four fasting days done and four lbs lost. I am aware that a lot of that is fluid, but it feels good. At least it is going in the right direction and I am definitely not struggling.
How are the rest of you doing?

Grannylin Fri 08-Feb-13 11:35:52

I'm on my ninth and it's starting to feel like a normal pattern.Have only lost about the same as you nanap but I'm judging it more by the lack of bulge over the top of my jeans grin

sunflowersuffolk Fri 08-Feb-13 11:41:47

I'm just starting today, nothing but water so far, and it is strange as I normally graze constantly - hence my weight problem.

I have some butternut squash soup in freezer for later, and may also try the Marigold bouillon powder to make a thin cup of soup if I get desperate. I have terrible will power, so fingers crossed as this is unlike any regime I've tried before, and I am very hopeful.

nanapug Fri 08-Feb-13 13:54:16

Make sure you do actually have your 500 cals sunflower, otherwise you will be too hungry and not succeed. I learnt this the hard way xx

fluffy Fri 08-Feb-13 19:48:17

Hi! I started it this week - the book is so good and he writes so well and sensibly - v realistic. Yep I've made a lovely jar of granola and have small bowl of that with no fat yoghurt for breakfast 8am and nothing till dinner time 8pm and then have something from the book - v good recipes ideas - tonight having tuna and canellini bean salad - so looking forward to it. Been drinking plenty of liquids during the day - hot water with wedge of lime in is particularly good... Good luck everyone - seems like a v good lifestyle choice.

Magnusmum Sat 09-Feb-13 11:25:56

I have recently joined slimming world and have lost 9 pounds in 3 weeks, but I really like the idea of 5-2 .i think it would do me good to have fasting days because I don't really know what it's like to be hungry has anyone managed to do both slimming world and 5-2

GrandmaH Sat 09-Feb-13 12:41:16

2nd week & lost 6lbs.I know it is just because it is the start & I know it will steady off now but even so, it really makes me feel good about this way of eating.
Funnily enough I find I am not very hungry the day after fasting which is odd but I'm not complaining.
I saw a 5:2 recipe book on Amazon for £1.99 Kindle version which I think I'll get. Also a newspaper is doing something on it this weekend but I forget which one- might have been the Mail. I'll pick it up later if I see it.
I would rather keep to set recipes than work out my own as i know I would probably get it wrong & I do a lot of cooking on the other days anyway so it saves having to think about food.
Now if I could just get DH to join in but he has an aversion to anything that is good for him- I'm not joking I really do mean ANYTHING that is good for him!!

Marymore Sat 09-Feb-13 14:47:05

Well done GrandmaH I haven't lost much actual weight on the scales (it seems to go up and down) but I have got noticably thinner and all my clothes are loser, I have some things that were tight before and are loose now. I find that I don't feel very hungry the day after fast day. I wonder if it's because your stomach shrinks? I have got a hard week coming up as we are staying with our grandkids next week to be with our DIL while our son is away so will be harder to do the fasting. Still I will be running around like a mad thing so that'll help.

Keep working on your DH, mine was a bit like that, he was bit of a pie and chip man really, but he's so pleased with his weight loss in fact he's more keen than I am sometimes!! There is hope

Marymore Sat 09-Feb-13 14:48:02

I meant that my clothes are looser (not loser) Duh!

Maggiemaybe Sat 09-Feb-13 16:53:15

Ah, you've got a husband like mine, GrandmaH! I'm trying to persuade him to join me on the 5:2 as I feel it would lower his cholesterol much more effectively than his statins do. It would also make life easier on fast days. We share the cooking week on, week off normally but on fast days we each fend for ourself. My problem is that my DH - like your pie and chip man, Marymore - likes his food. He's been lucky till recently though, and hasn't ever had a weight problem. I'm now working up the courage to put it to him that he's now getting...well, how shall I put it? A little portly perhaps?

GrandmaH Sun 10-Feb-13 13:48:12

Hmm- portly doesn't really do DH justice- morbidly obese is more like it!
The sad fact is he is 13 years younger than me & should be in really good health but has diabetes type 2, high blood pressure & cholesterol & is vastly over weight. Apparently this is all down to my good cooking & nothing to do with total lack of any exercise & smoking. I might add I only cook him good healthy food but his car is always full of crisp packets & chocolate wrappers.
He is not the sort of man to respond to nagging. Every now & then he does decide to lose weight & manages it easily but then slides back into old habits.
I will never give up trying though!
i'm hoping he will be inspired if I succeed on this plan as it so easy to keep to & he very often skips breakfast & lunch anyway- but then fills up on junk on the way home from work.
This may be the one to get him going too! I am an internal optimist!

fionafi Sun 10-Feb-13 14:01:32

... and dont forget ... its not JUST weight loss/control, its also the health benefits outlined in many of the publications on Amazon (MM's book, reviewed on GN, No Nonsense Guide on A etc) ... eg decreased risk of cancer, cardiovascular etc ... and also the prospect of a longer, healthier life!!

jillyfish Mon 11-Feb-13 13:21:36

I also started the 5:2 diet last week. However, I lost under a pound! I didn't find the fasting days difficult but I think I took the 'eat normally' for the other 5 days too literally!! Which is probably why I need to diet in the first place! I will do better this week.

GrandmaH Mon 11-Feb-13 17:53:28

Jillyfish- you may fnd that this week you are not very hungry on 'normal' days. I certainly find that to be the case.

shysal Mon 11-Feb-13 19:40:45

jillyfish, I have quite a large appetite when eating normally, so I chose to fast on alternate days, with great success - lost 2.5 stone in about 4 months. If you are after quicker results why not give it a try?

nanapug Mon 11-Feb-13 19:56:14

I have made two amazing discoveries!! A big bag of stir fry vegetables from Waitrose is only about 110 cals and I just add fresh ginger, a little chilli and some balsamic vinegar. I then add my other amazing find, Slim Pasta. It is a vegetable pasta that has only 14 cals per bag (I got it from Holland & Barrett). It isn't cheap but I figure it is cheaper than paying to go to a slimming club and is excellent for a really low calorie filling meal. Makes this fasting really easy and it is very healthy too. That's got to be good...

Galen Mon 11-Feb-13 20:50:02

I thought H&B had closed?

nanapug Mon 11-Feb-13 20:54:48

Not down here Galen. Where are you?

Galen Mon 11-Feb-13 20:59:26

Bristol area.

shysal Tue 12-Feb-13 08:35:16

Just ordered Slim Pasta from Amazon, there was some on Ebay too. Both with free postage, comes in packs of 5 bags - hope I like it! I am not sure whether the Cowley/Oxford Holland and Barrett is still there, can't be bothered to go and look.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 12-Feb-13 08:55:43

I want to know what it tastes like!

nanapug Tue 12-Feb-13 10:59:48

It tastes of absolutely nothing Cari, but if it is in with a stir fry or something that has flavour it is excellent, as not only does it fill you, but it also makes the meal appear "normal". I have also put it in a soup to bulk it out which is also excellent and very satisfying too. Go on, give it a go!!!

shysal Tue 12-Feb-13 11:19:41

A couple of the reviews I read mentioned an unpleasant smell which can be rinsed off with hot water after cooking. I shall let you know how I get on when mine arrives (Wed).

nanapug Tue 12-Feb-13 11:48:57

I rinse mine before cooking shy, but I must say I haven't really noticed the smell. Think I will send off for some from Amazon too, as it is cheaper than H&B.

Sel Tue 12-Feb-13 12:10:27

nanapug thank you so much - I feel I have found the Holy Grail grin No cals, carbs and it's healthy. Wow. Thanks too shysal for all the info on this diet, day one for me today - it just seems so easy to fit into a normal life. Ordered £50s of this miracle stuff from Ebay so hopes are high.

SJP Tue 12-Feb-13 20:37:40

Started this beginning of January - lost 10lb so far and treated by self to a new dress as a reward.

yogagran Tue 12-Feb-13 23:20:09

It was Julian Graves that closed last year, Holland and Barrett are still going strong

I've lost a stone since I started this 5:2 diet when the original programme was shown in August last year. Feel so much better for it and will continue with one day a week now that I have got down to my target weight.

GrannieAnnie2 Wed 13-Feb-13 16:35:31

Sounds as though everyone is progressing well! I lost 5lbs in my first week and my daughter lost 7lbs. Can't complain at that! Have been reading all about the philosophy and science and can't see anything to worry about at all with this regime. 4th fast day tomorrow - scales Friday - will let you know!!

nanapug Thu 14-Feb-13 17:14:59

Interestingly, I am really struggling today. Am absolutely STARVING. The only thing different that I can think of is that I normally have an egg fro breakfast on fast days but, as the gannets had eaten them all in their pancakes on Tuesday, I had porridge instead. They say protein is better for staving off the hunger so I have learnt my lesson. I will stick it out though and on another note I am p**ing for England so must be losing ;)

fluffy Thu 14-Feb-13 17:55:59

I started properly last week - had a fluey type cold this week so thought I would just do one day - didn't feel like eating much anyway but did go a bit mad on the pancakes. So back to fasting today - and I am just about hanging on till dinner at 7 - between 4 and 5 in the afternoon does seem to be the hardest time - I shifted all the furniture round then had a cup of black coffeee - seems to be working though and I do feel better !

shysal Thu 14-Feb-13 18:13:32

nanaplug, my slim pasta arrived today, so I had some with a huge stir-fry for lunch, it was great, so have gone onto Amazon and ordered 25 more bags! I look forward to experimenting with it in things like 'macaroni cheese' with WW cheese, and bolognese using turkey breast.
Thanks for the tip.

nanapug Thu 14-Feb-13 20:31:12

My supper consisted of a pack of carrot batons and a small pot of hummus. I really enjoyed it as it took an age to chomp on and so was quite satisfying. (Looking forward to breakfast tomorrow ;))

nanapug Fri 15-Feb-13 10:37:08

I have just done some maths and my flabber was gasted! On this new way of eating, if we only consume 500 calories on two days a week, that means we save about 1500 calories each day (assuming we have about 2000 calories a day and if I am honest I probably have more than that) so therefore 3000 calories a week. That's quite a lot, but if you multiply that by 52 weeks, it means that we are eating 156,000 calories a year less. Now that's a lot of calories. No wonder it works.....

Galen Fri 15-Feb-13 11:00:05

My slim pasta has arrived, so I'll try it next week

fluffy Fri 15-Feb-13 15:03:29

I've GOT to get some of that pasta - its sounds great! What about sharing ideas for staving off hunger pangs that happen about 4-5pm. eg:
Change the furniture round (like I did the other day)
Make a pot of coffee and savour
Go for a walk with a bottle of water ???!!

nanapug Fri 15-Feb-13 15:32:29

I always go to bed earlier on fast days, as for some reason I don't feel hungry once I am in bed. I too struggle mid afternoon but have a drink and watch some telly and tell myself that it's not long 'till supper. We do eat an hour earlier too.

Forzanonna Fri 15-Feb-13 16:11:42

I started last week and did quite well, however have time off work this week and I'm not doing too well, have only managed today as a fast day - however, I suppose one day is better than none. Back to work next week so will be more organised, I pick at things when I'm in the house - no willpower, did manage to go swimming yesterday though. hmm

annsixty Fri 15-Feb-13 17:08:08

I am following this thread with interest but does the book or any other info say if it is suitable for "older" people? I am probably one of the more mature Grans and don't know if an upper age limit is stated as on some diets. While my G.P. would say I need to lose some weight his only and constant advice is "portion control".

Forzanonna Fri 15-Feb-13 17:40:23

I'm 60 and GP was fine with it. Can't remember if there's anything in the book aobut age.

annsixty Fri 15-Feb-13 18:27:23

Thank youFORZANONNA but I have to admit to "over 75" and wonder if I would be wise to miss this one

Ali01 Fri 15-Feb-13 18:51:45

I started last week and just finished my 4th fasting day yesterday - I agree the trick is to be busy - I have eaten the same thing on all 4 days though this may change in the future - this is what i have fancied - I had 2 eggs (only 1 yoke) plus a little milk for brecky and veg soup at about 7.30 pm. I have lost 4lb - I feel really well and at the moment i am not suffering at all & loving the fact you can have what you fancy the next day within reason of course

shysal Sat 16-Feb-13 09:22:37

annsixty I seem to remember that the Horizon programme stressed that this regime was particularly suitable for older people, as that is the age at which we are more at risk from high cholesterol and blood pressure and diabetis. Some people do it simply for the health benefits, and not necessarily weight loss.
The TV programme can be found on Youtube under 'Horizon. Eat, fast and live longer'.
Good luck if you decide to have a go.

Mamalinda Wed 20-Feb-13 11:41:03

Hi - just joined gransnet today but I have been doing the 5:2 diet since 2nd January and have lost a stone. I find it really easy and always do Monday and Wednesday as that fits in best with my life. I am boring as I always eat the same which is sachet of porridge with golden syrup made with water for breakfast and then for dinner a salmon fillet cooked on a bed of half a pepper and 6 cherry tomatoes halved just baked in the oven. The hard part is still cooking hubby a proper dinner. I think it is sustainable for life or at least until I get to my ideal weight then perhaps drop to 1 day a week fasting.

Galen Wed 20-Feb-13 12:18:56

Mamalinda hi! Be wellcome to this merry band of ladies (and the odd man.+a couple of delightful ones)

GrandmaH Wed 20-Feb-13 14:37:50

I tend to eat more or less the same things too. I like an egg & slice of ham for breakfast ( but I will try the sachet of porridge) & then I either have Dhal with fat free yoghurt or a Fajita with mushrooms, peppers & half fat mozzarella & passata for an early dinner. I stick to water & black coffee & always make proper coffee- if I am not havng a lovely cup of tea then at least I can have decent coffee.
I do eat my dinner earlier than usual but that also helps as I am not eating at same time as DH & when I do his meal I have already had mine so not so tempted- plus I make him things I am not so keen on those days.
It really does not feel like being on a diet.
Weight loss slowed this week but it was a bit of a heavy weekend with providing meals for grandchildren staying so I expect I overdid the calories.. They do love Grandma's cakes & biscuits & I love cooking them! I'll do better this week.

GrandmaH Wed 20-Feb-13 14:44:12

BTW have you seen the 2.5:4.5 verion of this eating plan in book by Jacqueline White? I got her book from Amazon on Kindle as it was only 1.99 & had a lot of recipes.
She maintains that most of us prefer to have our fast days away from weekend so she does Monday & Wednesday & then from Thursday evening to 6pm on Friday thereby getting an extra half day in but still able to have some wine & a nice meal on Friday evening. This is only if you need a quicker loss or to lose some more for a special event. This makes sense to me so will give it a go this week & see how I feel. I have been doing Tuesdays & Thursdays but this week I have done Mon & Wed so if it feels OK for me.

Mamalinda Thu 21-Feb-13 10:05:55

That sounds really interesting GrandmaH especially if the loss slows down. I need to lose at least another half stone to get back to where I was before my thyroid started misbehaving. Although I am now on the medication it left me with the extra 1.5 stones which is why I wanted to diet in the first place. That would take me down to the 11 I have been stuck at since my early 30's when I had a full hysterectomy - now I am thinking perhaps I could get down to 10 then I would be jumping for joy. I am aware to go below that to the 8.5 stone I was before then would be a stupid aim and show too many wrinkles. Anyway 1 day at a time and I did give myself a year to achieve it to be realistic.

gracesmum Thu 21-Feb-13 10:20:04

I find fasting from about 10 pm until about 9 the next day the only sort I can manage - and then only if I actually stay asleep grin

GrandmaH Thu 21-Feb-13 12:56:49

I got up a bit late this morning so just had a coffee with milk before I came to work. Normally I would say I 'needed' breakfast but it's now nearly 1pm & i am off home for lunch & I feel fine. I really think this way of eating shrinks the stomach as I rarely feel hungry at all- & I can't eat so much on feast days either.

BAnanas Fri 22-Feb-13 14:49:23

Am into my third week or so with this diet, today is a fasting day. I am not experiencing a rapid weight loss, but that' fine I want something I can sustain, just wondering if this is other GNs experience. Also I take my dieting day from say 8pm the night before fasting day to around 9 am to 10 am the day after the fasting day so roughly that is 37 hours. I was with a friend the other day who diets from 7 pm to 7 pm the next day, thus managing to get a proper evening meal in both days. Anyone else do it like this? and if so are you still losing weight?

frida Mon 25-Feb-13 08:58:42

I am starting 5:2 diet today and will do Monday's and Wednesday's or Thursday's. I cleared out my baking cupboard last week so I'm not tempted to bake and eat cakes for a few weeks!

shysal Mon 25-Feb-13 09:53:38

I hope all goes well frida . Let us know how you get on. sunshine

nanapug Mon 25-Feb-13 14:11:41

Help ladies please. I fell off the wagon big time last week. It was half term and I was so involved with the children all week that I chose to stop for a week. I am having my first fast day back on it today and am really struggling. I put on all the weight I had lost before half term, over half term, and I feel really yuk today. I am so fed up with this wretched weight thing. Have struggled all my life and am questioning if I will ever achieve it after all these years. Really fed up sad

Orca Mon 25-Feb-13 14:24:43

What am I missing??
Just come back from the barber's , hairdresser's, unisex hair salon and everyone there was on a fasting day bar me.

shysal Mon 25-Feb-13 15:03:32

Orca grin wink Short back and sides or granny perm?

Maggiemaybe Mon 25-Feb-13 19:24:16

Keep at it, nanapug - I’m sure you’ll soon get back on track. Too late for this advice, I know, and I hate sounding holier than thou, but I find it’s best to keep to the 2 days fasting a week, even when it’s a holiday week, or you’ve got a lot on. I just think the fast days get easier as time goes by, and you get into a simple routine that might be disrupted if you miss a couple in a row. That’s my experience anyway. I do hope you feel a bit better now – just think of all the good things you can enjoy tomorrow. I’ve got a huge white chocolate cookie squirreled away in my desk drawer at work from a birthday celebration today – I’ll have polished that off by 8 am tomorrow!

Walletmilkers Tue 26-Feb-13 02:07:28

Been on the 5:2 for a month now. Starting losing weight immediately, and saw knock on effects with reduced BMI, Viseral etc etc. I'm battling fibroids at the moment as well, but had a normal cycle of 7 days....can this be the result of changing from the inside that this eating lifestyle purports to do?

shysal Tue 26-Feb-13 08:26:52

You may be right Walletmilkers (love the name by the way). The hot sweats which I had been suffering for 15 years, way beyond the menopause, are subsiding at last. I have even added a light cellular blanket to my bed which has had sheet only for all those years. I might even have to buy a duvet and warm clothes one day!
It would be interesting to hear of health benefits noticed by others.

GrandmaH Wed 27-Feb-13 12:44:25

Don't worry Nanpug- in the book I had he said he doesn't fast during holidays or over Christmas & it still works OK. If you put it back on quickly- it will come off quickly too. Maybe try the fasting on Thursday am until 6pm Friday as detailed earlier in this thread which I read about in another book which is for when you want a one off quick loss. It may make you feel better to get straight back to pre half term weight.
It is working for you which is the main thing.

BAnanas Wed 27-Feb-13 12:51:23

Anyone here still keeping an eye on what they eat on the five non fasting days? I have had a couple of celebratory occasions last week and ate more than I would have normally and now I think they may have cancelled out my last two fasting days.

Grannybug Wed 27-Feb-13 13:09:55

Working well for me and find I have reduced appetite following fast days.This is a real benefit as I was worried I would want to binge a little after fasting. Think my stomach is shrinking! Hooray. Sparkling water seems to help me feel fuller on fasting days. Have lost half a stone and feel very positive at the moment.

GrandmaH Thu 28-Feb-13 13:38:43

I agree about not feeling so hungry the day after fast. I have lost 10lbs without really noticing I am dieting. I haven't really watched what I eat the other days apart from the fact I am not very hungry the day after fasting. I had chocolate & wine at the weekend & thoroughly enjoyed it without feeling guilty.
Just had Miso soup for lunch - I preferred the wine!

Amenhotep Thu 28-Feb-13 15:38:36

We have been on the Fast Diet now for 3 weeks and although the 500 days are quite hard sometimes on others they are OK. My husband has lost lots of weight but not me! I'm really fed up, every time I lose a 1lb on a fast day I promptly put it back! my husband thinks I don't eat enough on 'eating' days. Is this the case? If so is my body going into starvation mode and conserving fat?? Does anyone know?

Galen Thu 28-Feb-13 16:15:33

Which a Amenhotep are you? Wasn't no 3 Ankaten's father?

Amenhotep Thu 28-Feb-13 16:59:23

Amenhotep 1V married to Nefertiti who always looked so slim, thought it might rub off! Don' t really know why I picked him, perhaps I should have been Nefertiti instead! Too late now!

Galen Thu 28-Feb-13 17:56:25

AmenhotepIV changed his name to Ankhaten I thought. He married Nefertiti and a secondary wife who was the mother of Tutankhamen who was originally Tutankhaten.
Fascinating people. He then married his sister, daughter of Nefertiti
Just to confuse there is another earlier queen called nefertiri..

Galen Thu 28-Feb-13 17:58:17

Sorry should be Ankhnaten. Thought it didn't look right.
iPad not too hot on the old hieroglyphs, prefers the demotic scriptgrin

Amenhotep Thu 28-Feb-13 18:21:31

Amenhotep 1V married to Nefertiti who always looked so slim, thought it might rub off! Don' t really know why I picked him, perhaps I should have been Nefertiti instead! Too late now!

yogagran Thu 28-Feb-13 22:07:19

With all this talk of dieting I thought you might enjoy an email that I received from a friend today:

Yesterday I was at my local Tesco store buying a large bag of Chum dog food for my loyal pet and was in the checkout queue when a woman behind me asked if I had a dog. What did she think I had, an elephant? So, since I'm retired and have little to do, on impulse I told her that no, I didn't have a dog, I was starting the Chum Diet again. I added that I probably shouldn't because I ended up in hospital last time, but I'd lost 2 stone before I woke up in intensive care with tubes coming out of most of my orifices and IVs in both arms.

I told her that it was essentially a perfect diet and that the way that it works is to load your pockets with Chum nuggets and simply eat one or two every time you feel hungry. The food is nutritionally complete so it works well and I was going to try it again. (I have to mention here that practically everyone in queue was now enthralled with my story.)

Horrified, she asked me if I ended up in intensive care because the dog food poisoned me. I told her no, I stepped off the kerb to sniff an Irish Setter's arse and a car hit me.

I thought the guy behind her was going to have a heart attack he was laughing so hard. I'm now banned from Tesco.
Better watch what you ask retired people.
They have all the time in the world to think of daft things to say.

shysal Fri 01-Mar-13 08:07:37

Yoga grin grin

Walletmilkers Sun 03-Mar-13 01:09:53

Hi Amenhotep. Dr Mosley et al say the 5:2 plan proves the exact opposite of the starvation mode, and claims to bust this theory. I put on 200lbs on week and then lost 1.1 kg the following. Despite this what is always staying constant or going down is my BMI, which is the important thing. Try and use other measures to help you though.

Gally Sun 03-Mar-13 03:33:44

200 lbs! Eeeeek shock

GrandmaH Mon 04-Mar-13 13:13:31

Ouch- I don't think it suits you walletmilkers!!

Marelli Mon 04-Mar-13 13:15:59

Gally, are you still doing the 5:2 diet?

grannybuy Tue 05-Mar-13 21:32:26

I too started last Sunday, along with my husband. We kept busy by emptying and sorting through a cupboard and bookshelves, prior to re- decorating a bedroom! It was okay, except for a very rumbly tummy by late evening. I succumbed to half a Jaffa cake, which did the trick. I had been 8 stone 9 pounds every morning of the previous week, but was down by 2 pounds yesterday and today. Will do it again on Thursday. We had breakfast and evening meal at the usual times. I added half a teaspoon of vegetable stock to hot water at lunch time. Good luck to everyone.

Gally Tue 05-Mar-13 21:42:43

Marelli It's been a little difficult this past week having spent 27 hours flying and then trying to sort out my time clock! However, Georgie is on a get fit kick so evening meals are no more than 250 cals so after an oaty brekkie I go to the local cafe and pick up a large veggie juice at mid day and try to make that last all afternoon. Running round after 4 wild children all day should help shift a pound or two - if it doesn't kill me first grin

shysal Wed 06-Mar-13 08:41:52

grannybuy, I am surprised you want to lose weight at 8t 9lb. Unless you are extremely short I would have thought your BMI would be at the lower end of healthy. I would be happy to get below 10st! As regards weighing myself I have found that doing this once a week, always after a fast day gives a good indication of the way it is going, which is nowhere at the moment! I think my body has adjusted to the alternate day regime I have followed since last August, so I am content to just maintain my current weight.

Mamalinda Wed 06-Mar-13 09:07:10

I have stopped weighing myself and just look at the roll of fat at the bottom of my stomach gradually disappearing - that is all the inspiration I need to carry on. I am also eating less on my non-fasting days. I think it just makes you think about the calories you just ate without realising before plus I agree that your stomach must shrink. I too am surprised anyone would want to lose weight when weighing less than 9 stone.

Marty Wed 06-Mar-13 09:56:58

I have managed to loose 4 kilos in six weeks. I am thrilled. No more tummy hanging over my waistband. Lots more to go yet but I am finding the fast days no problem at all. Started to get a bit slack and have a glass of wine and chocs but now back on the straight and narrow and 500 calories the limit. I make a small fruit smoothie for first thing in the morning. Then plain crispbread at lunch with small salad and tomato soup for the evening meal. I tried the cauliflower and mushroom soup but my husband wasn't keen so back to homemade tomato. This diet is the BEST.

Walletmilkers Wed 06-Mar-13 11:13:55

Aie Karumba! That would be grams not pounds. confused

learner Wed 06-Mar-13 19:17:48

Just started the 5:2 yesterday. Yes, first fasting day was a bit challenging, but doable. Today I am doing the 500 cal fast again, eating my small meals at 7a and 7p. Then I will go to tues and saturday. Started at 136#. I am 5feet 6 inches tall. At end of day 1, 134#...yes even though not much is going in...previously eaten items are still...well, you know. This a.m. I am 132.6#. I am excited about this new way of eating, great in so many aspects, both health wise and spirit wise. Really encourages thankfulness for and enjoyment of our food. I have enjoyed all of the posts. Very nice to have encouragement on the journey! I did take measurements as well, so we will see how those improve over time. I have fasting blood work tomorrow morning, which has historically been very good, but I will have it redone in 3 months to see any improvements and keep you posted.
Best wishes to all who are partnering in the journey at this time!!

Amenhotep Fri 08-Mar-13 14:06:16

Hi everyone
Am really struggling with the 5:2 so tried 4:3 but just put back what I lose on fast days. Have lost 4lbs since Feb 2nd am I expecting miracles???

shysal Fri 08-Mar-13 15:41:12

I don't think I would have had much success with 5:2, because I eat well on my non-fasting days. That is why I do alternate days. I had great success, losing every week, although months down the line I have now ground to a halt. Stick with it amenthotep, you are at least losing weight, albeit slowly.

nanakate Sun 10-Mar-13 10:32:30

Him and me went on the 5:2 after Christmas, him for weight control and me for blood sugar control. It worked well for both of us, and I suspectmthis could me a big help for type 2 diabetics. But we both fell off the wagon during the cold weather snap. This thread has given me the will to start again now that the daffs are coming out.

GrandmaH Tue 12-Mar-13 12:59:34

And now we are ankle deep in snow again!

Hot miso soup for lunch- not sure if I like it or not but it is very low in calories & it is hot!

I have now lost 1st 2lb in just a few weeks (is it 4 weeks?)so I am very happy. I did overeat at the weekend with Mothering Sunday etc but I NEVER weigh myself on feast days- just after 2nd fast day of week so maybe I am putting it all on again on feast days but it is still coming off. I would get fed up too if I saw it had come back on again but I don't look- I think weighing once a week on the day when you should be at your lowest weight is the best idea.
I have put the Mother's Day chocs on a very high shelf today- by the time I get the steps out I will have thought twice about them!

Galen Tue 12-Mar-13 13:25:29

I fell off the ladder over the last couple of weeks and gained weight again. Have restarted today.

shysal Tue 12-Mar-13 13:50:13

GrandmaH, that is fantastic! Well done. smile

BAnanas Wed 13-Mar-13 13:20:17

I had a fasting day yesterday, went to the gym today and weighed myself after swimming and it seems that I have lost over a kg since I weighed myself this Monday! I can only conclude that these scales are rubbish because on Monday I weighed well over a kg more than what I was last Friday another fasting day. I think overall my weight is reducing slowly, albeit in a one step forward one step back sort of way. The regime seems a bit harder since this really cold weather has begun.

Hi I have been doing the 2 Day Diet by Dr Michelle Harvie and Prof Tony Howell. I find it hard on the 2 fasting days as they suggest back to back and no carbs at all for those two days. I am not familiar with the 5:2 Diet but have sent for the book. I have lost 4lb over the past 2 weeks but find it extremely hard and am miserable for the 2 fasting days. I eat a lot of protein those days and do not feel it does me much good. I need to lose weight and get healthier and reduce my risk of breast cancer. This book was written with this in mind. Is the 5:2 Diet by Mosely of the same mind as regards health.

are these home made soups or bought, I have send for a 5:2 diet book but for the 2 Day diet

I really hate vegetables unless in soups or casseroles just not on the side of the plate, don't like salad either I love tinned tomatoes so that helps. Any advice for a fussy non vege person

nanapug Thu 14-Mar-13 11:34:12

Ok, having fallen off the wagon well and truly I am starting again today. Needs must. Am going away for a long weekend with friends in a couple of weeks and tried clothes on in preparation and nothing went over my fat arse!! Really fed up and realised I needed to try this again. There is no denying that too much food in the gob equals a fat bum. Why can't I get it? I am so weak, and stupid. I would so love to be slim. My cousin, who is always slim says "Its simple, you just eat slightly less" Yeah right, don't you think I would if I could? People who don't have a problem don't seem to get it. Hey ho, here I go again, wish me luck xx

Just had book delivered from Amazon, will tuck in on sofa now and have a read

am doing first fasting day of the 5:2 so far grapefruit and mug of tea, am counting on my Nutracheck counter online

shysal Sat 16-Mar-13 14:58:52

Hope it goes well flower. I find counting the calories accurately prevents cheating! Keep us posted with your progress. sunshine

nanapug Sat 16-Mar-13 15:38:00

Yes shy I agree. I have a little book that I write what I eat in and total my calories. It also helps to look back and see what calories things that I commonly eat are. I love my lists ;)

had 66 cals left this evening, starving so had ryvita - 44 , teaspoon jam 20 and mint tea 4 I use Nutracheck to record my cals. Its fanastic have been with them for a while

Amenhotep Sun 17-Mar-13 15:42:58

am so sympathetic! We have been staying with firends for a week and been served pudings each day, seeme so rude to refuse so tried to eat small portions, failed miserably and have put on 2lbs. What a disappointment, have started again although Sundays are v. difficult. Will try in earnest tomorrow. Good luck with your efforts, let us know how you get on, will do the same.

GrandmaH Mon 18-Mar-13 12:03:33

What is Nutracheck?? I stopped adding up cals & I think that was a mistake as it is too easy to under estimate what I've eaten. I'll do it from now on again though. Just one egg & 4 cups of tea with splash of milk so far but I bet those splashes add up!

barbadosgan Mon 18-Mar-13 21:01:14

I have been doing the 5.2 since January. I am not sure that I have lost weight as I don't have any scales but I really like how it makes me feel and my clothes still seem to fit!
We have lots of visitors at this time of year so have lots of eating out to deal with. I find I can easily go from dinner out one night to dinner the next with only fruit for breakfast and a salad lunch. But it is more difficult to go from lunch through to lunch as it is antisocial not to have a glass of something in the evening and that usually makes you feel like eating too.

Nutracheck is an online fitness and calorie counter. The idea is you enter your chosen food, this comes up in cals and fat content. it takes away each time you enter food eaten from 1400 cals normally each day. It also takes off your 5 a day and water consumed plus alcohol units. Exercise can be entered and you are encouraged to enter this with lists of different type of exercise from housework to running, sports, gym classes etc. There are forums and loads of encouragement. You can find it google and have a free trial for, I think, 5 days. It is only around £15 for 3 months and money taken out each month. You can stop whenever you want and money is not taken the following month.

I find the diary very easy to fill in and its second nature to me now. Give it a try

Fasting day today, woke up late so I missed breakfast, don't normally, but thought I would wait til lunch. Had 2 Ryvita with hard boiled egg and 30% salad cream - 10ml - banana - 4 cups of tea throughout the day and 8 glasses of water - one champagne truffle (my daughter swapped it for carrot cake) wasted cals really as was about 60. grapefruit, 200 ml NuMe Tomato and three bean soup. Its wonderful, don't normally like soups but this is amazing and very filling.

At the moment I am lusting for a piece of toast but will resist.blush

GrandmaH Wed 20-Mar-13 10:48:26

I'll have a look at Nutracheck site.
Hit a snag this week as feeling rotten- got bug DH had last week & all you want is comfort food when you feel low. I have put fast day off from today to tomorrow as I may feel more like it then. All I want is Beechams cold & flu remedy & BISCUITS today- maybe a fish finger sandwich later which is my comfort food of choice. I did make some nice bread yesterday so that sounds like dinner today!
I bought some of that vegetable spaghetti so will give that a go if I feel better tomorrow- it looks horrible but I suppose with a nice sauce (which I made yesterday ready for today) it should be OK. It was nearly £5 for 2 portions which sounds expensive but £2.50 for a mail meal is OK & sauce didn't cost much to make. I see they do noodles too. If I like it then I'll try those for a stir fry with a bit more substance.

Fasting Day today: no breakfast, must save most of my cals for this evening as I have a toddler sleeping over!

almost bedtime, fasting went well, lots of water consumed. Hard boiled egg on Rye Crispbread with tspn Salad cream. Chicken for supper and half banana. 25 g bag of snack a jack. tea. Seems a little and it is but I do feel well on these days. Its a challenge. Oh and 1/4 pot low fat yoghurt. Baby asleep so relaxing evening. Looking forward to breakfast tomorrow and anniversary lunch in pub.

shysal Fri 22-Mar-13 08:21:58

I keep a few M&S meals - for - one in my freezer for lazy days. I found a different one last night, a beef hotpot, which contained 215 calories. I thought it was a substantial portion as I was eating it, then discovered that it was to feed two! Fortunately I had only had roasted veg. for lunch, so reached 505 cals.

I have done similar before, good idea though!

Out for anniversary lunch with DDH, stuffed, will redeem myself over 2 days in the week.

J52 Fri 29-Mar-13 15:04:42

Been on the alternate day since August 2012. Start of retirement lost at least 2 st and dropped 2 dress sizes. Easiest diet out! If you have a special occasion then just adjust the next day. Christmas and birthdays caused no problems. The eating days do not result in overeating. The appetite and stomach shrink! But it all depends on getting your head around the low calorie day 600 per day. It is hard at first, activity helps and varied low meals. It is all worth it to be back in the 20 year olds body!! Good luck.

shysal Sat 30-Mar-13 19:05:07

You started alternate day fasting at the same time as I did J52, after the Horizon TV programme. Are you still losing weight? I lost 2.5 stone but have stayed the same since Christmas, although I wouldn't mind dropping a few more pounds. I still eat 500 calories on fast days, but eat well on the others. Perhaps I need to be a bit more careful all the time. I am happy to stick to this regime for life for the health benefits if nothing else.

J52 Mon 01-Apr-13 11:45:47

Hi shysal, I did plateau after Christmas. But I have stuck with it, mostly because I have changed my eating habits in general. Seemed to have started losing again by 1. Having all fruit days, still around 500 cals 2. Playing table tennis on the Wii
3. Being very careful about what I eat on the other days. Progress is slow, but as long as it is in a downward trend.
DH has joined this with me and been very supportive, despite not being overweight and being very active anyway. It has been beneficial to his blood pressure and closeteral.

Good luck, I'm with you on the lifetime thought! J

Sillysara Tue 02-Apr-13 09:14:49

I commenced the 5:2 diet five weeks ago & have lost 9lbs so! I find it easy to do & very flexible.....usual do it on a Monday/Wednesday when I am busy,, but this week I am doing it on Friday as well, as I want to lose the 3lbs to round it up to ? stone!
I have tried every other diet going,but find that this one suits me. Perhaps knowing that there is a feast day the next day helps to encourage you!
My goal is to lose another 7lbs.

GrandmaH Tue 02-Apr-13 13:50:22

OOOPS! Easter tookk it's tol I'm afraid. I haven't gone near the scales but I can well imagine!
I am actually very glad to get back to a fast day today.
There was a very good report on this diet & fasting in general on The Food Programme on Radio 4 at the weekend. It inspired me & now I am sure this way of eating is affecting my general feeling of well being & I am not just imagining it. Very interesting.
Mind you I am glad it is only 2 or 2.5 days a week. I don't fancy 36 hours with no food.

Marelli Tue 02-Apr-13 18:00:22

I'm going to pick up on that programme on i-Player, GrandmaH. I'm well and truly stuck after having lost about 2.5 stone over the last year or so. However, it doesn't seem to matter how much I cut back now, the weight just isn't shifting. I've got the book, but didn't do the diet. I'll listen to it now! hmm

J52 Tue 02-Apr-13 18:42:13

Ryvita do another type of crisp read called Crackerbread. In a long yellow packet 19 cals per slice. Less than traditional Ryvita. With Marmite(love or hate!) and low cal soup makes a great lunch on low cal days.

Marelli Tue 02-Apr-13 19:17:20

Have just listened to it, GrandmaH, and think I may give it a go. How many days do you have between the fasting days?

shysal Tue 02-Apr-13 19:26:09

It doesn't matter Marelli, as long as the fasting days are not consecutive. Just fit them in around your life.

Marelli Tue 02-Apr-13 19:27:58

Have you managed it ok, shysal? Don't you get really hungry and then overeat the next day?

shysal Tue 02-Apr-13 22:58:51

Marelli, I fast on alternate days with no problem, but think I am gradually eating more in between, hence my weight is at a standstill. I am not too concerned though because I have lost all of the 2.5 stone I put on when on medication for an overactive thyroid. I think I am now at the weight that my body likes to be, although still in the overweight range rather than obese.

Marelli Wed 03-Apr-13 10:55:49

Thank you, shysal. My weight seems to have stuck after having lost 2.5 stones as well, and it just won't go any lower! I wonder if our bodies do just settle at the weight they 'like' to be? hmm

Am trying 2pm to 2pm, it was mentioned on the 5:2 Facebook site. fingers crossed, has anyone else tried these times for fasting?

Galen Wed 03-Apr-13 15:53:33

Just debunking it on radio4

GrandmaH Wed 03-Apr-13 16:15:32

It is odd but I actually look forward to the fast days now. I'm sure I feel more 'alive' if that makes sense. I was eating too much on feast days for a week or so & weight loss slowed but it was soooo cold! I'm certainly going to give those Crackerbread things a go. I like something to munch when having soup. I'm trying to have my fish on fast days as it is lower calories than most meat so you can have a bit more & I do find I drink a lot of water those days too.
I just think we all find different diets effective. Dukan works for me but it is too restrictive- this fits into my life without me really noticing I'm doing it.

J52 Fri 05-Apr-13 10:03:52

Hartley's Low Sugar jelly. 10 cals a pot. Great for a sweet taste on low cal days. Xx Keep going!

annodomini Fri 05-Apr-13 10:39:47

I have decided to do it. Today is Day 1. For almost two years I have been on steroids for Polymyalgia Rheumatica and it's easy to blame them for the weight gain. I am sure they are responsible for around half of it but the rest is just my own lack of control. Now I am down to a very low dose - reducing today to 2.5 mg. I would like to lose at least three stone though two before the end of July would be good. I will be contributing to the weight loss thread from next week onwards. Wish me luck, please.

shysal Fri 05-Apr-13 10:58:25

J52 , I use the sachets of Hartleys sugar free jelly, usually make 2 pints at a time, sometimes with some added fruit. Then if I find myself looking into the fridge for a snack I can have a bowl full, with some squirty low fat cream if the calorie count allows.
Good luck anno, I look forward to hearing how you get on. To be realistic, I think you will need to do alternate days to achieve 3 stone by the end of July.

J52 Fri 05-Apr-13 14:02:55

I agree shysal I have also used the sachets they are good and make economic sense. Sometimes I'm lazy!!

anno, 3 stone by the end of July sounds a big task. The 5:2 & alternate day are quite slow, 2-3 lbs a week at best, but it does stay off. Good luck I hope you achieve your goal. Xx

annodomini Fri 05-Apr-13 14:19:41

I took my courage in both hands this morning and weighed myself. I am half a stone lighter than I had feared, so that's a good start. Just had a cup of bouillon made with Marigold stock powder - 12 calories. Now for a brew and I am lucky there in that I never take tea with milk.

Marelli Fri 05-Apr-13 15:12:52

I began it today. I was really hungry during the morning, but have had 2 mugs of Oxo at 13 cals each and an orange (about 100 cal) so far. The Oxo is tasty! I'd bought the book last month and then decided the diet wasn't for me, however, having read others' posts and re-read the book, I think it will be ok. I'll fast on a Tuesday and a Friday. Going to have a look on the Facebook site now. I'd like to get about half-a-stone off.

Nelliemoser Fri 05-Apr-13 16:42:56

I am intending to start this but I need to organize myself a list of low calorie vegetarian menus for the fast days.

I hope that getting a variety of tasty recipes in mind will make it easy to stick to on a fasting day. Its not as if I haven't got a vegetarian slimming book to hand. Any tips gratefully received.

I would be interested to know what sort of times of the day others have their 500calories. A longer time between is supposed to be better which to me would been say breakfast and lunch only. I really do need my breakfast.

shysal Fri 05-Apr-13 17:49:22

Nellie, I eat lunch and dinner on fasting days, then don't eat breakfast the next morning. However I don't think it matters much, but as you say a long time between is good.
I would suggest homemade soups, roasted vegetables or salads to fill you up, something that looks like a good plate full, so you don't feel deprived.
Let us know how you get on.

Marelli Fri 05-Apr-13 18:00:25

How do you work out how many calories your bowl of home-made soup would have, shysal?

shysal Fri 05-Apr-13 18:55:38

this book , which lists foods alphabetically, so quick to use.

annodomini Fri 05-Apr-13 19:13:19

I've just installed My Fitness Pal on my phone. DS swears by it and he has lost a lot of weight in the past year or so.

Marelli Fri 05-Apr-13 19:31:48

Thank you, shysal. Just what I was looking for - ordered it a minute ago!smile

Amenhotep Mon 08-Apr-13 13:54:54

Am still struggling with this. Have not lost any more weight apart from the few pounds when I started. It seems that each time I have a feast day, although not gorging myself, I just put on what I lost! I have shingles at the moment so am not feeling special bu am persevering.

J52 Tue 09-Apr-13 12:51:45

Amenhotep : Sorry that you have shingles, hope you recover soon.
I have adopted the alternate day version, fat and thin days and this seems to work better for me. Changing the regime may work better for you. It evens out the calories over the week. I have also noticed that on 'fat' days my taste has changed and I no longer want crisps or chocolate.
The weight loss is slow, but every little makes a difference. I like the freedom to eat anything, no forbidden food! I am looking it as an eating style which I shall maintain. Good luck, hope the weight soon goes. X

Sapphyr Tue 09-Apr-13 13:57:12

I've read a lot of good reports about this and it makes sense to me so I've ordered the MM's book and I'll give it a go... fingers crossed!
I did the 'Atkins diet' - zilch carbos, 14 years ago and that was amazing.
Annoyingly, and with an, in retrospect unlikely, link, I was diagnosed with MS during this time - the brain is made of fat (lipids) so it should have helped!
The 5/2 diet seems to be a realistic balance between bonkers Buddhist fasting and a kitchen reeking of fatty frying smells - sorry about the lazy alliteration... we'll see smile
We are going on a cruise in six weeks' time and I'd like to wear a lot of my body-con clothes - I'll report back along the way there!

annodomini Tue 09-Apr-13 14:30:43

Another 'fast' day. Decent breakfast: yoghurt, canned pear (in juice) with a little oat cereal. Lunch, 12 cals-worth of bouillon and a Benecol drink, 36 cals. I am trying to halve my dosage of statins by supplementing with Benecol. The yoghurts are full of sugar, so not for fast days. Evening meal will be low fat cottage cheese and salad. I walked through M&S this morning. The aroma of bread baking was pervasive which is intended to make one's mouth water. I managed to control myself.

Sapphyr Tue 09-Apr-13 15:10:59

annodomini, I've just popped into the Tesco across the road and the place reeked of sugar! They were stacking the shelves so goodness knows what it was... getting ready for end of school time? ...even though they're on hols sad
I just bought some blueberries (anthrocyanins and other good-sounding stuff smile ) and some full-fat milk! I make my own yoghurt and full-fat milk makes all the difference.
The yoghurt is for my five up-coming non-fat days
Sapph

GrandmaH Tue 09-Apr-13 15:18:45

I had a blip last week- did not lose any weight but thinking back I may have overdone the normal days. Chocolate left over from Easter!
I find I can miss breakfast with no problem- I had lunch today at 1ish- a can of Wonton soup which was gorgeous- filling & well worth the 100 cals.
I tried those cracker breads- not bad - a bit like crispy cardboard but they do give a variation n texture

I have made a big pan of Dhal with spinach that will do me for dinner today (about 6pm usually which is an hour earlier than I would normally eat dinner)& the next fast day too -maybe more when I weigh it out.
For the first time I am going to have to fast 2 days in a row due to having to go out on Thursday & Friday. Not sure how it will go but I'm sure I'll manage.
Really sending you Good Luck Annodomini!!

annodomini Tue 09-Apr-13 15:37:05

Thanks GrandmaH the soup sounds inviting, but I don't think it would be suitable for a veggie. I have been making carrot and coriander without using oil. Today I'm going to make a pot of spicy butternut squash soup which is tasty but low calorie.

Marelli Tue 09-Apr-13 15:53:52

This is my second 'fasting' day. I really do need to have breakfast, so had 2 Ryvitas with half a mashed banana and a cup of black tea. Went to visit elderly sister-in-law, who 'took the huff' (*anno*, you will recognise the expression!) because I was having a fasting day when I was visiting her, as she was preparing a black pudding roll for me (my one weakness wink). I ate the roll, all the while being so annoyed that she was annoyed! Tonight dinner will be a large salad with 100gm chicken.
Having read of others' successes with this diet, I want it to work....but as for looking forward to fasting day, as some have reported - I can't see that happening for me hmm.

annodomini Tue 09-Apr-13 16:04:27

Yes, I know all about taking the huff, Marelli. My mother used to do it frequently! By the way, it isn't a good idea to watch cookery programmes on a fasting day. grin

Marelli Tue 09-Apr-13 16:25:12

grin, anno!

Grannyeggs Tue 09-Apr-13 17:03:32

* Marelli* I did the Fasting Diet for a bit last year and it definitely worked for a while, and I went back to it, but during the miserable weather I found I just wanted to eat and of course, the weight piled back on. However I am starting again tomorrow and am determined to make it work. I think you have to be in the right frame of mind for these things to work.So good luck, and who knows we might become these people who look forward to fasting day,I'm a long way off from that at the momentconfused

Fasting day tomorrow for me: grapefruit to start, ryvita with half banana for lunch and 1/2 tin Morrisons 3 bean soup for dinner. Then bed I think

Marelli Tue 09-Apr-13 20:08:59

Grannyeggs, I think I keep thinking of this diet as only a way to lose weight, when it's also supposed to become a way of life leading to a healthier life in the future. I've stuck rigidly to it on both fasting days, and must admit today wasn't as bad as the first one! wink

GrandmaH Wed 10-Apr-13 12:46:24

Wonton soup was veggie, Annodomini- a clear soup with little parcels of chinese veg floating in it -I wasn't clever enough to make it though so it came in a tin from Sainsburys. With that & the dhal I had a veggie day yesterday- to be honest I often do when I'm on a fast day. I was veggie for 25 years so it comes quite naturally to me even if I do eat meat & fish now. When DH is away I usually go back to veggie food as i really like it. I used to teach veggie cookery so I have lots of favourite recipes although a lot involve cheese so no good for fasting.

Nelliemoser Wed 10-Apr-13 22:44:59

I will be on my second day tomorrow., I started on Monday.

Boiled egg and 1 slice toast and marmite. Dinner was some Quorn (good protein very low in calories) with a simple veg "stirfry" adapted from the Fast diet book it was really tasty .
I had plenty of non calorie hot drinks which helped. Stomach was rumbling badly about 3pm but it was easier than I thought.

My best advice is to avoid going near retail food outlets. I went to to our local shopping centre where there are many of them. I found the smell of food put a great deal of temptation my way.

Nelliemoser Thu 11-Apr-13 20:06:10

Day 2 done and dusted.

I have found weighing out the food a very interesting exercise. I am begining to realise just how inflated my usual food portion size has become.
I made Feta Nicoise from the "Fast Diet" book, closely measuring the recipe amounts with slightly less feta and 10mls of Tamari on the salad thats only 8cals.

It was plenty and much tastier than I imagined it might be.

annodomini Fri 12-Apr-13 17:58:49

I've now done three 'fast' days without any difficulty. Luckily today was not one of them - I went out to lunch with friends in an Italian restaurant which we like very much. I had rigatoni with smoked salmon - please note I opted for the smaller portion - and my favourite, tiramisu. So now I am hanging fire on what to eat as an evening meal - probably something on very light crispbreads. I was going to swim this afternoon but would probably have sunk, so tomorrow it is.

Gally Fri 12-Apr-13 18:38:17

Strange isn't it? Yesterday was my fast day and I was absolutely starving all day; today, I can eat what I want but I'm not that hungry and had a very late brunch of scrambled eggs and smoked salmon and I too am trying to decide what to eat this evening - but I will own up to a quite large glass of wine while I am on GN grin

Marelli Fri 12-Apr-13 19:19:22

Today is my third fasting day. It's definitely getting easier, I think (hope). Have had plenty of fluids today and didn't eat anything until lunchtime, when I just had a low-calorie soup. Looking forward to lunch tomorrow (Indian buffet grin).

annodomini Fri 12-Apr-13 19:23:23

I like to mash up a can of tuna with some philly light and a spoonful of mayo which makes a good spread on toast or crispbreads. Just had that for a light supper. It's also a good topping for a jacket potato.

HappyNanna Wed 17-Apr-13 12:51:20

Very pleased with the results so far. Have lost 7 lbs in 6 weeks. I'm finding that the fast days get easier. Going on holiday next Friday though, so I expect to put a few pounds back on.

Amenhotep Sat 20-Apr-13 16:51:12

Went to docs yesterday for blood test and had PUT on weight! I can't believe it!
All the fasting etc just is not working, wonder if I am eating enough on 'feast days' would that make a difference? Does anyone know?

shysal Sat 20-Apr-13 18:29:33

I think if you eat too little every day the body hangs on to its fat , which is not supposed to happen with intermittent fasting. Try eating well on non-fast days and see what happens. I look forward to hearing if it works!

Amenhotep Sat 20-Apr-13 21:48:13

Thanks shysal trouble is now I am used to eating less i find I don't want so much, I' m sure my stomach has shrunk! Have an eating day tomorrow so will have a proper Sunday lunch. Will let you know how things go.

Daisymay1 Fri 26-Apr-13 20:22:56

I have been doing this diet for a few weeks now and have lost 5lbs and think its great . I became a grandma of twin boys in December and am hoping this diet will keep me healthy to enjoy my boys as long as possible.

It is not too difficult as you know that you can eat the next day, I do drink lots of water and herb teas and try to keep busy on fast days .

I have now begun to eat more healthy food on non fast days as the weeks have gone on .

I enjoy walking and try too make sure I walk about 30 mins each day.
I can see me keeping to this permanently . Good luck to all on this diet !

LullyDully Sat 27-Apr-13 18:05:51

I think I am going to have to start this diet, it sounds good. I presume I need to get the books, which ones are most useful? or what do I have to do?

shysal Sat 27-Apr-13 19:03:21

This book is probably the most popular of many. Fast Diet

A simple calorie counter book is useful too. Pocket calorie counter

annodomini Sat 27-Apr-13 19:03:36

If you want to find out more about the scientific trials of this diet,
this book is by Michael Mosley who presented the Panorama programme that launched it in Britain. There are loads of recipe books on Amazon.

J52 Sat 27-Apr-13 20:04:48

Plateau broken! Another kilo gone. Worth persevering through 3 weeks of plateau. Good luck everyone! X

LullyDully Sun 28-Apr-13 11:19:29

Thanks everyone will have a go.

GrandmaH Wed 01-May-13 12:05:04

I found a really good fasting cook book on Book People but all the recipes are for 4 people. I do wish they would do these with all single portions. It is much easier to round up for more than round down for one- inevitably you cook it all & probably eat more than 1/4 of it!
I need to 'up' my exercise now too as we lost our beloved 15 year old dog a few weeks ago so I am no longer dog walking twice a day- I haven't got the heart to walk without her.
Can't stand gyms- so boring & I'm not a great swimmer.
The other problem is she is no longer there to clean up leftovers so I have to resist anything DH leaves!!

SammyPants Mon 13-May-13 15:09:23

Fasting can be helpful- but it needs to be done carefully! Especially for hypoglycemics and diabetics- they need to be very careful doing this. A really great article on fasting and weight loss is healthdivas.blogspot.com/2012/10/fasting-growth-hormone-hgh-and-fat-loss.html It has some great tips for how to fast properly and safely for weight loss. I recommend anyone doing the fasting method or thinking about it to check it out!

Motherduck63 Mon 13-May-13 17:18:49

I'm trying it again, but trying to focus on the reported health benefits rather than the weight loss, as I think this will stop me rebelling down the line! wink

Marelli Mon 13-May-13 18:39:29

I've had to give up. I think I've perhaps been overly greedy on non-fasting days and when I've weighed myself after a fasting day, it's not been as encouraging as it was to start with. hmm
I will now go back to what I did before - eating sensibly and not flinging myself into the biscuit tin whenever I wandered into the kitchen - as I was allowing myself to do on non-fasting days blush.

Fasting today: wish me luck, So far slice seeded toast, spread with laughing cow light cheese triangle and slice lean off the bone ham. Cup of tea and three glasses of water. I plan to have !/2 grapefruit (red) 2 crispbread with sliced boiled egg for lunch and a bowl of Morrisons 2 bean and spicy tomato soup for supper.

Nelliemoser Tue 14-May-13 17:06:24

I am on fast today as well . I usually do Monday and Thursday but shifted them around to suit me this week.
I have decided I am not feeling hungry as such, but probably just bored and want some tasty savoury flavours.

Lots of hot drinks, ginger & lemon tea and peppermint teas.

For breakfast I had quorn slices 3 x29cals on Ryvita crackerbreads 3x19cals. about 160 cals total. I needed some marmite undeneath though, the crispbreads are too bland for my hyped up taste buds.

I am trying to decide what to do for dinner tonight. Which of course, is why I am browsing GN and not looking in cookery books.

Nan99 Tue 14-May-13 18:44:35

Started 5.2 diet beginning of March. Lost about 8 pound. I am not in a rush to lose loads of weight. On my fast days only eat once a day in the evening. Have so much energy when I am not eating. I am a bit of a foodaholic and on my feast days knowing I can eat more or less what I like, I can cope with not having it.

I am a member of the LDS church and we fast once a month for 24 hours and I have been doing this for about 34 years with no ill affect.

I have done about three different diets during my life and find 5.2 diet is the best one for me.

Nelliemoser Tue 14-May-13 19:03:18

I thought of what to cook and I am now stuffed full!

I made a two egg omelet. With 1tsp rapeseed oil brushed on the pan. Full of pre-steamed veg. Half an onion, a red pepper, mushrooms. Brocoli and fresh Swiss chard which is negligible calories and bulk. The veg was portioned to come out at about 85cals. I reckoned the meal as as about 305cals.
I could do with charting the cals in different foods by raw weight more easily or it makes getting meal a bit of a fiddle with weighing it.

Very tasty though.

Reddevil3 Fri 17-May-13 07:58:25

I have just bought the Fast Diet book and am a bit disappointed in that the recipes tend to be either for women or men (500 or 600 cals)
Anybody else doing it with OH/DH? Please could you post a couple or more of typical fast day menus that work for you?
Otherwise, if I do it the book's way, it will become totally impractical and I will have to prepare 2 separate meals each time which sort of defeats the object if you are trying to do it together. Thanks.

Nelliemoser Fri 17-May-13 08:53:04

redevil Just increase the quantities in the woman's portion by about 100 calories worth of the same food or reduce the mans menu by the same number. Get used to doing the ideas in the book and you can soon get the hang of adapting them. I am having to do it to make the food vegetarian.

shysal Fri 17-May-13 08:59:46

You could both eat the same meals, but slightly adjust the quantities to reach the required calorie count. I find this book useful, it lists all foods in alphabetical order. pocket calorie counter

Reddevil3 Fri 17-May-13 09:24:35

Thankyou nellie and shysal. What an idiot I am- should have thought of that! Next job is to go through the 11 pages of messages on this diet and copy down some of the excellent menu plans and ideas.
My DH won't read the book and wants to leave it to me. (Easy option, eh?)
He has an enormous appetite so I am frightened that he is going to overeat on the non- fasting days, because even though he will eat everything I put in front of him, he tends to 'snack' at 11pm or any other time he feels hunger pangs. Is it possible that his 'full' switch doesn't work?

annodomini Fri 17-May-13 10:31:43

After a week with Greatnan in the French Alps, I now need to get back on track, though I am pleased (relieved) to find that I haven't put on weight. Two nights in a small hotel in the Aosta Valley in North Italy should have been disastrous in view of the excellence of the food - we couldn't resist the tiramisu on both evenings! Today, however, is a fasting day and now I need to go out for some salad ingredients.

Reddevil3 Sat 18-May-13 10:19:51

Today is first fasting day- just had scrambled eggs with smoked salmon @ 256 calories- seems a lot, but there you go. Having roast veg. later (courtesy of Mr Tesco) @ 150 cals each. Leaving me a satsuma perhaps?
Must go and buy a squash- any tips about peeling btw? (Aren't they b....ers?) And do those amazing chip things for 9 cals. DH says he is happy to live on black coffee till 6pm.
If we get on OK with this today, I am tempted just to repeat the formula for the second fasting day- anybody else doing that?

shysal Sat 18-May-13 11:20:18

I find it easy to peel butternut squash with my swivel peeler. The shavings can then be roasted with a little spray oil, makes a crisp-like snack (thank you Nigel Slater!).The seeds can also be done in the same way. For roasting pieces of squash though, there is no need to remove skin. I have a huge plate full sometimes for dinner, adding a sliced onion and mushrooms for the final 15 minutes.
Good luck!

Reddevil3 Thu 23-May-13 10:12:24

shysal Thanks for squash tip. You have done brilliantly- what a great advertisement for this diet!
We started last Saturday and had 2nd fasting day yesterday. Weighed this morning- have lost 4 pounds! Roll on the next 2 fasting days!

DH is being very good and is sticking to it- he is weighing in on Sunday.
As he always loses quicker than I do, I hope these first results will spur him on.

We find that the scrambled eggs with smoked salmon breakfasts are brilliant as they keep us going all day, or at least until about 2pm, and then fruit teas keep us going until 6.30 or 7. Sainsburys do trays of veg to roast- 244 cals each tray. We have one each which provides a huge plateful. He then has a couple of pieces of fruit.

Onwards and downwards! grin

Reddevil3 Thu 23-May-13 10:32:00

In case this helps anybody- take a pack of turkey mince (800gms) , about 800 cals, brown it all, drain thoroughly. Fry a couple of chopped onions, spoonful cornflour stirred in, add 1 pint stock made from 2 Oxo cubes, add to pan and stir till mixed and a bit thicker. Add mince. Add seasoning, BUT I added too many chilli flakes so had to cool it down with a tin of tomatoes, 2 spoons low fat fromage frais, and some lemon juice.
This of course made enough for 3 meals for the 2 of us. The extra bits I added came to much less than 200 cals so including the topping of mashed carrot and parsnip, came to about 1000 cals in total. Ate one portion, froze the other 2, a yummy meal for about 150 cals each.

Gorki Thu 23-May-13 10:58:42

Reddevil3 This recipe sounds lovely and I have just copied it into my cookery book and will use it at the week-end (for my DD and SiL who are doing the 5:2 ).My daughter is vegetarian so will do a quorn one for her. I haven't started the diet myself yet but need to so am pondering it.

janerowena Thu 23-May-13 11:31:10

I think I will find it far easier to try once my son has left home. I shan't have leftovers calling to me in the fridge for a start, or requests for meals that I am trying to avoid.

Reddevil3 Thu 23-May-13 14:21:37

gorki Why don't you use Quorn mince for all of you? I used turkey mince because my local Sainsburys was out of that type of Quorn.
It is very low fat (even lower than turkey mince) and normally you have to add loads of flavour to make it appetising, but with my 'mistake' recipe above, there's no fear of that!

Gorki Thu 23-May-13 16:09:47

OK will do. Do you think I will need more liquid ? I love your "mistake" recipe as I bought some chilli flakes last week and put far too many in. I generally use real chillies or sometimes the powder and was unaware of how strong the flakes were.

annodomini Thu 23-May-13 16:53:07

First stone is gone now, in spite of having a week off on my trip to France. Now, how much, I wonder, can I shed before GD's graduation - July 18th - and my next holiday at the end of July?

shysal Thu 23-May-13 17:00:14

Brilliant anno ! I expect the loss will begin to slow down, but don't lose heart. It is good that you have goals isn't it? sunshine

Reddevil3 Fri 24-May-13 00:08:52

Gorki No you don't need more liquid - I had to cook mine for ages to reduce the liquid. Remember tho' that I also added 2 soupspoons of fromage frais to cool things down! When you add your tin of tomatoes, you could hold some of the juice back and add it if you think necessary.
Enjoy!

janthea Tue 28-May-13 11:44:29

I've been doing it for about three weeks now. On my fasting days, I've losts about 4lbs in total, but it seems to go back up on the non fasting days. Admitedly only by about 2lbs. What am I doing wrong?

shysal Tue 28-May-13 12:37:08

I only ever weigh myself the morning after a fast day, so the results are always comparable. At least you are losing Janthea, don't give up. I wanted quicker results and had a lot to lose, so I fast on alternate days.

janthea Tue 28-May-13 13:12:09

I must stop weighing myself every day, Shysal You are right. I only want to lose about half a stone or thereabouts.

Today is my fast day. I've had a cup of tea and a boiled egg for breakfast. Lunch has been a tin of Heinz Minestrone soup and two rice cakes (I'm in the office). Tonight some chicken and losts of broccoli.

I'm definitely going to try your butternut squash suggestions. grin

SueL123 Thu 30-May-13 07:29:21

Am also doing this 2 days a week, find it a great boost.
It's knowing you can eat "normally" the day after, although have to admit not always as hungry as I thought I would be, hence no breakfast till 10am yesterday!
Am going to keep at it, as have a couple weddings next year, and at the moment I feel like a BLIMP!!!

MrsJamJam Thu 30-May-13 07:34:05

Am doing really well on this, steady weight loss although not as fast as I might like, about3 llbsgone in a month. Now off to Sicily for three weeks, so do hope that all my good work is not undone. I shall try to eat sensibly, but fasting is not a realisitic possibility.

janthea Thu 30-May-13 16:00:43

MrsJamJam I seem to have lost about 3lbs in about 3-4 weeks as well. When I weigh myself after a fast day I seem to have lost loads, but then put some back on on 'normal' days, though not as much.

MrsJamJam Thu 30-May-13 20:18:16

same with me, janthea, but general trend is downwards and some clothes definitely looser. Just hoping I can be disciplined on holiday - have never managed before as I do love good food!

Reddevil3 Fri 14-Jun-13 10:21:38

Just created another super "fasting day" dish.
350gram pack Quorn mince, 2 big onions, 2 tins chopped tomatoes, lots of seasoning. Make sauce, add Quorn for 10 mins, simmering.
Topped with mashed carrot and parsnip. Divide into 2 smallish casseroles, each for 2 people - Quorn is 92 cals per serving and I cannot believe the veg bring it up to 200 cals- so a super dish for much less than 200 per person!
Eat one that day and freeze the other one. Serve with large helping of Aldi mixed veg- pack is 99 p.
Yummy.

annodomini Fri 14-Jun-13 10:44:52

I might try that, Red. The weather isn't exactly conducive to all the salads I've been consuming. I could do with a good hot meal this weekend - tomorrow is a 'fasting' day. Thanks for that.

Reddevil3 Wed 19-Jun-13 10:14:01

Just returned from a cultural exchange over the channel, where we were wined and dined remorselessly for 4 days.
Fasting today and Saturday, but a bit worried about weighing myself on Sunday morning- have I undone all the good work I have put in since 17th May? sad

janthea Wed 19-Jun-13 11:17:47

I've now lost about 5lbs. and dropped from a size 16 to a size 14 (I was probably a size 15 - if there was such a thing!!).

To day I had a boiled egg and a cup of tea for breakfast. Lunch was Heinz minestrone soup and a rice cake and supper was some wafer ham with asparagus and a low fat yogurt. Maybe slightly over 500 cals but only 40 or 50 more!

Reddevil3 Wed 26-Jun-13 22:53:31

I haven't cooked at all (apart from scrambled egg for breakfast) during our last 4 fasting days because I have found Quorn Cottage Pie. Half a pack is 185 calories, and I serve it with a huge pile of vegetables. Tonight's dessert was fresh raspberries @ 30 calories for 100 grams. And they call this fasting! grin
Might start doing alternate days it's so easy.
The only problem is that my favourite trousers are falling down!

J52 Thu 27-Jun-13 12:22:41

Would it be a good idea to haven a list of products that we have found which have low calories, such as the quorn cottage pie, chivers jellies etc? I have no idea where it could be posted, but it would be nice to know what other people have found and it would bring variety.x

Reddevil3 Thu 27-Jun-13 13:39:12

OK, I'll start a new blog called 'Low Calorie Foods' under? Dieting ? Health? Any suggestions? Will do it in a couple of days when I have the right 'shaped' bit of time. smile

Galen Thu 27-Jun-13 13:41:42

Think ill have to start again when I return on Sunday!sad

J52 Thu 27-Jun-13 15:19:05

Reddivile3: thanks. It will make interesting reading!x

Judy1002 Wed 10-Jul-13 21:52:29

I've got down to roughly the weight I wanted (now around the median of "normal" BMI). My overall shape is better BUT without clothes on I am hideous. All flapping wrinkles and bony bits sticking through. I am determined to keep at this weight as I want to stay fit so any suggestions (short of wearing a burkah )?
I take my youngest granddaughter swimming among all the shapely mummies in their bikinis so I guess that at least I am acting as an object lesson in not leaving it until 73 to successfully loose weight!

MrsJamJam Thu 11-Jul-13 07:30:04

Don't have an answer to the question, but just wanted to say well done for reaching your target. We had three lovely weeks in Italy so I have lost ground to make up!

Aka Thu 11-Jul-13 07:52:46

Judy well done. I suppose it depends how much weight you've lost. A friend who had a gastric band fitted has lost 10 stone and she now needs surgery to remove all the excess flesh. I guess at 72 you are covered up most if the time and look so much better?
Incidentally I think you're great taking you granddaughter swimming and I don't suppose she cares about the flabby bits.

overthehill Wed 17-Jul-13 08:54:31

I will have a go at this. I tried some time ago and felt funny, not on the fasting days but other times. Sort of whoosie. It was hot at the time, like now funnily enough, so maybe I wasn't drinking enough.

Anyway, I find eating breakfast makes me hungry, if I eat it, by 10:30 I feel hungry so I won't eat anything until lunch time.

Do you think this will fit into 500 cals. Boiled egg, salad, thin slice of ham and 1 slice of bread with scrape of butter?

shysal Wed 17-Jul-13 09:25:01

I think, depending on salad contents and any dressing, also type of bread, you should be well within 500 calories. I find accurate calculation is helpful, using this book If you read through previous theads on this subject (under 'diet' heading) you will find various ideas for more substantial-feeling meals which make cheating less likely.
Good luck if/when you get started.

shysal Wed 17-Jul-13 09:28:35

Judy, I look hideous in a conventional swimsuit, but recently bought a 'boyleg' version, with shorts-like legs. I now feel much more confident.

Tegan Wed 17-Jul-13 09:59:09

Mention of your swimsuit caught my eye, shysal, because I'd just decided [probably brought on by the hot weather] that I should try swimming again. Even my daughter has bought a swimsuit with legs of some kind. I've never been able to swim but, with it being such a good form of exercise it's time I tried again.

Goose Fri 19-Jul-13 11:52:52

I've just reached the end of week 3 (fast day yesterday) on 5:2. I feel despondent and could really do with a bit of (okay..a LOT of) encouragement.

Week one (with 2 fast days) I lost under 1lb. End of week 2 had lost well under 3lb in total, this week have put 2lb on and I can't understand WHY.

I'm very enthusiastic and have thrown myself heartily into the whole '500 fast' days, and have found that on non-fast days I'm not very hungry, so am not eating anywhere near as much as I would of before.
So optimistically standing on the scales today and finding that I've lost very little (maybe an ounce) in three weeks is very disheartening.
Is/did anyone else have this problem. I really feel like jacking it in - but don't want tosad

gracesmum Fri 19-Jul-13 14:38:01

Fluid retention? Also I have found that it can take a while for any sort of diet to take effect - which is why I have fallen into the trap in the past of thinking I have "got away" with a bit of a binge because the effects were not immediatley apparent.I had my first fast day yesterday and thanks to the hot weather and keeping incredibly busy, I did not feel hungry. In fact I still didn't feel hungry today and didn't have breakfast until 11 o clock. BUT I feel very "wired" as if I am firing on all cylinders and I wonder if the fasting does something to your metabolism, which would be brilliant as my metabiolism is somewhere between a sloth and a snail's. I have had a slice of quiche ans some chicory and beetroot salad and some strawberries and honestly feel uncomfortably stuffed.
Don't get dispirited, Goose the hot weather is probably making you retain more fluid.

shysal Fri 19-Jul-13 16:44:56

Goose, do you always weigh the morning after a fast day? Otherwise the readings will be all over the place. Please don't give up, blame the weather! I have to admit that I doubt whether I would have had much success with the 5:2, I did alternate days from the start, with great results. I still eat less on every other day, but anything from 500 up to 1000 calories, and have managed to maintain my weight since reaching my goal before Christmas, despite eating very well on the other days. I am enjoying my food without any guilt for the first time for years!

shysal Fri 19-Jul-13 16:52:29

Goose, it also occurs to me that you might have been eating too little on eating days, hence your body feels it is being starved and is holding onto it's reserves. I think studies have shown better results when normal and even large amounts are consumed between 'fasts'. Even eating unhealthy foods did not affect the improvement in cholesterol, BP, blood sugar etc. The diet from Heaven!!

Goose Fri 19-Jul-13 17:14:46

Thanks gracesmum/shysal I wondered if that's what the problem is - water retention. I never drink enough water (even in this weather) thogh drink copious amounts of tea/coffee, so wonder if my body is holding on to the precious trickles I am throwing down my throat occasionally. I'm sweating (sorry 'glowing'grin) for England - and the rest of the world come to that, but not weeing - which I assume should be the first obvious signs of weight coming off???

Goose Fri 19-Jul-13 17:17:56

Pshysal I really don't want to eat much whilst it's so hot, so I'm not really trying to, but look forward to the winter when I can stuff on egg & chips in great abundance (on non-fast days, of coursewink

shysal Wed 31-Jul-13 08:04:46

8 hour diet
I have been reading about the 16:8 or 8 hour version of this diet. It recommends eating only within an 8 hour window, for instance 12 noon till 8pm, therefore fasting for 16 hours. This can be done daily or a few times a week. Apparently Hugh Jackman has done this, calls it the Wolverine diet.

Aka Wed 31-Jul-13 08:53:43

Isn't this called 'just skip breakfast'?

shysal Wed 31-Jul-13 12:24:11

Yes, that's what I thought Aka!

wombat22 Tue 20-Aug-13 21:41:42

Hello. I'm new to Gransnet. Is anyone still following the 5:2 eating plan smile

J52 Wed 21-Aug-13 11:53:59

Wombat 22: Although I reached my goal. I am still following the diet. I seemed to have plateaued but that's ok because I don't want to put any on. I have enjoyed entertaining and meals out this summer, but have 500 cal days when we are on our own. I do alternative days. It took me a year to reach goal weight, but it was really for me to do. Good luck. X

wombat22 Wed 21-Aug-13 20:27:09

Thank you J52. I am on week 3. I haven't lost much weight but I can't seem to help overeating on non fast days. I don't eat because I'm hungry, I just eat junk. I don't find the fast days difficult but spoil it for myself. Don't know how to stop myself really sad

wombat22 Wed 21-Aug-13 20:32:52

J52: Having seen that it took you a year to reach goal weight, I realise that maybe I'm expecting too much. I'll stick with it and test my resolve. Well done you and thanks for your reply smile

shysal Thu 22-Aug-13 08:08:50

wombat22, welcome to Gransnet. It is OK to eat a lot on non-fast days, that is the joy of intermittent fasting! This time last year I managed to lose 2.5 stone in about 4 months, by doing alternate days. Much the same as J52, I am still doing it to maintain, it is now a way of life. I have to say that the diet really suits me, as I love my food and can still indulge every other day. This morning I am making Paul Hollywood's cheddar and bacon bread and have no need to feel guilty! Slow but sure is good if you stick with it. Good luck. cupcake

J52 Thu 22-Aug-13 09:13:14

Hi Wombat22, you seem to be experiencing the same as many 5:2ers. At first I was eating all sorts of things on non fast days. Gradually, taste buds change and now I find that I am happily full on more sensible foods. Also I don't tend to snack between meals, or want anything to eat after my evening dinner.
This may be due to the gradual shrinking of the stomach. Some fast days I still feel a little hungry, but I find something to keep me busy.
The feeling when someone you have not seen for a while tells you how good you are looking is great! And you don't have to wait to reach your goal before this will happen!
5:2 or alternate day is a lifestyle way of eating, especially good as no food is forbidden and it is time adaptable. I wish you every success. Post on Gransnet if you have a wobbly day. Everyone will be supportive. X

wombat22 Thu 22-Aug-13 18:27:21

I am really grateful for you replies J52 and Shysal. Today has been a fast day and i've found it relatively easy. I even stayed out of the crisp cupboard yesterday! 2.5 stone is incredible. Well done and thank you for the inspiration. I'll post when I've had a loss. I know I can do this xx

wombat22 Fri 23-Aug-13 11:41:31

Well I got weighed this morning and to my astonishment, I had lost 1.5lb. Considering what I have eaten this past week, I am thrilled. It's certainly motivated me for another week grin

Galen Fri 23-Aug-13 13:59:05

My copy of BBC Good Food magazine for October arrived today. It has a heap of 5:2 recipes!

annodomini Fri 23-Aug-13 14:31:30

I'm just going round to WH Smith, so might have a look for that, Galen. I will also tip off my DiL who was on the 5:2 before we went on holiday and has put on a lot of weight while away whereas I have not. [satisfied smirk emoticon]

yogagran Sat 24-Aug-13 15:46:52

Fo

yogagran Sat 24-Aug-13 15:50:11

Silly me - tried to answer this on my phone and the b** buttons too small so pressed "post" too soon!

Meant to say:
For October Galen - I've just been to buy the Good Food and the only one I could get was September. Bought it anyway as I'm sure there'll be lots in there to try

Galen Sat 24-Aug-13 15:57:15

I'm a subscriber so get mine early.

GrandmaH Thu 29-Aug-13 20:09:40

I started this thread all that time ago & I was doing brilliantly & then suddenly LIFE happened! 2 blissful weeks in Greece, visitors from Canada who needed to be wined & dined, school holidays with grandchildren around a lot & DH home more than usual & I slipped. Well no- actually I fell from a great height with no parachute!! I had put the sales away when I was tidying the bathroom for visitors so luckily I have no clue how much damage has been done but I know how tight the old waistbands are right now.
SO I am starting this again next week when the children go back.
It was really good it worked for me so hopefully it will again.

I am so cross with myself - I went off to Greece full of good intentions but eating out every night was fatal- I just adore Greek food & even when I stuck to fish, it always came with some sort of carbohydrate & the wine was soooo delicious. Never mind- here we go again & nothing to upset it until Christmas! ( sorry to use the C word!!)

wombat22 Fri 30-Aug-13 20:37:16

I got weighed this morning and a couple of pounds had crept on. I've had a fast day today and been famished all day. I am going to try to stick to 1700 cals on my non fast days and see how it goes. Good luck GrandmaH flowers

GrandmaH Wed 25-Sep-13 15:53:52

I'd forgotten how good I feel on 'fast' days. So glad I got back to this.
NOT weighing myself at all this time- I'll go by feel of jeans. A bit on the tight side at the moment!
blush

J52 Wed 25-Sep-13 17:39:23

How is it going Wombat? I'm still having some low cal days weight loss maintained. No longer weigh myself so often, but noticed buying winter trousers I need the next smaller size. Not been in this size for 30 odd years. All worth it, keep going. X

janthea Thu 26-Sep-13 12:10:23

I've lost about 7lbs, but I seem to hover around the same weight. I loose a couple of pounds and then put them back on! I can't seem to keep the couple of pounds off! Any suggestions?

J52 Thu 26-Sep-13 12:29:16

Try being stricter on the 'eat' days.1200 cals.x

janthea Thu 26-Sep-13 14:46:27

J52 Easier said than done!! But you are right. I need to cut out the biscuits on the non fat days.

J52 Thu 26-Sep-13 16:23:27

Janthea, we all seem to react differently to the 5:2. I found it easier to do alternate days. Have you tried that? It probably allows for the biscuits because in fact you are cutting down to 3 days of 500 cals. Hope it works. X

wombat22 Mon 07-Oct-13 13:39:22

It's good to see some are still having good results. I fell completely off the diet wagon. I'm thinking of starting the Harcombe diet tomorrow. Tried it before and had a good result but couldn't fathom phase 2. Will try again and hope this will be my last diet?grin

janthea Mon 07-Oct-13 15:32:05

What's the Harcombe diet?

wombat22 Mon 07-Oct-13 22:08:31

The Harcombe diet is low carb. It is very restrictive for the first 5 days (phase 1) but having done it before, i can confirm that it eliminates cravings for sweet things and carbs. I lost 8lbs in 5 days before. You then move onto phase 2 which means you can introduce carbs but you cant mix carbs and fats at the same time. That's where I came unstuck but I'm determined this time. Google Harcombe diet. Zoe Harcombe debunks loads of dieting myths and explains why most diets fail. Here goes. I ll be posting my losses in the weekly weigh in (hopefully) grin

janthea Tue 08-Oct-13 11:34:12

Thanks wombat22 I will.

Reddevil3 Tue 08-Oct-13 12:06:01

I think this 5:2 is fabulous. It's really just a different way of eating without feeling deprived. When on Weight Watchers or Slimming World there are things you aren't allowed which to me was so boring. I have lost 12 pounds in the last 11 weeks.
I am one pound off my goal weight and once achieved, will continue fasting just once a week so that I maintain the weight loss.
Best thing (for me, anyway) ever invented!

wombat22 Tue 08-Oct-13 16:42:33

Having read through loads of forums, I am going to be starting 5:2 tomorrow. Good luck all smile

MaggieP Wed 06-Nov-13 10:09:12

I am just reaching the third week of 5:2 diet, after years of WW and always struggling to be something slim, ( never have been but there is always hope!!) I am enjoying this diet. I can manage the fasting day and enjoy the freedom the other days without going mad.
However I have lost 4-5 lbs, part of that was extra weight after a two week summer French holiday.
I then put back 2 pounds and felt really peeved! Today after a fast day yesterday the 2 lbs are off again.
Is this how it goes? Please let me know if its similar for some of you. smile

Nelliemoser Wed 06-Nov-13 10:14:34

maggiep This seems to happen to me. I put weight on on holiday because I am not "good" but it seems to go pretty quickly when back on the 5:2.

shysal Wed 06-Nov-13 15:22:52

I only ever weigh myself the morning after a fast day, otherwise it seems rather up and down.

kalexie Wed 13-Nov-13 14:31:07

I need to lose a serious amount of weight, probably 3 stones would be really good.

I piled on the pounds after moving to France nearly 6 years ago. There's a reason why France is well known for it's baguettes, croissants, pastries, etc. because they are to die for. As I don't have any scales I'm not sure what I weigh exactly so I am going to judge weight loss by dress size. Am currently in size 16/18. After reading through this I feel really motivated to shift the weight and get back into clothes I thought would never fit again.

So, today is my first fast day. I had half the amount of my normal breakfast cereal this morning and have skipped lunch, as this is where I consume the majority of my daily calories, and just had a cup of mint tea instead. The time is now 3.30 pm and I don't actually feel hungry, which I am quite surprised about! I plan to have plain fish and mixed veggies for dinner.

I have just gone through my trousers that I can no longer fit into and have arranged them in order of size from biggest to smallest. I am going to keep the biggest pair out on view until I can fit into them again and so on until I can get into the smallest pair. I am thinking that will hopefully keep me motivated when or if hunger pangs strike.

I'm feeling really optimistic about doing this. Will keep posting on progress.

MaggieP Wed 13-Nov-13 15:27:55

Well done kalexie for making a start and good luck to you. This week I am finding it impossible to have two free diet days, as so busy out and meeting friends, but next week I will definitely try harder. My nephew who has done this for a few months and looks much slimmer says he doesn't weigh himself anymore but judges how his clothes fit and he is back into trousers that fitted him two yrs ago! I am hopeful toogrin

J52 Wed 13-Nov-13 18:59:09

Well done kalexie. Keep going! You will get there. I keep pair of my larger size trousers as a reminder. It took me a year to lose 3 stones. But during that time my who attitude,due to food changed. Alternate day 500 cals suited me best. Now, a year and 3 months later, I do 5:2 to maintain my weight. Good luck! X

kalexie Thu 14-Nov-13 10:42:03

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Good luck to all you Gransnetters out there who are doing the same.

Well, I got to 5.30 pm last evening when I decided to make my fish and veggies and felt so light headed when I stood up that I was afraid I was going to pass out but that obviously passed when I'd had something to eat.
Did anyone else experience this at first? Does it improve as you get used to having the fast days?

I too, like others, thought I would be absolutely ravenous by this morning but I wasn't hungry at all. Just going to have what I normally have now until next fast day but I will half the portion size.

Keep up the good work everyone xxxx

J52 Thu 14-Nov-13 19:08:25

Kalexie. I sometime experienced light headed ness at first, but it soon went away. I think it was due to low sugar. Harley's do 10 cal jellies, they may help. Recently had the same feeling when I woke, after a very low cal day. I felt I had eaten too much in the previous day. I now know moderation is a better way! X

kalexie Sun 17-Nov-13 10:09:28

Hi again.

Had my second fast day yesterday. I had scrambled egg with just a touch of semi-skimmed milk and a cup of mint tea for breakfast. I decided to have fish & mixed veggies again but instead of having it all at once at tea time and skipping lunch, I had the fish at lunch time and the mixed veggies later to avoid the light-headedness that I experienced on the first fast day. This worked really well and I felt much better.

Also having smaller portions of my normal meals on non-fast days. Because it doesn't actually feel like I'm 'on a diet' I think that this is going to be really easy to stick to.

How is everyone else doing?

Nelliemoser Sun 17-Nov-13 10:46:00

Kalexie I found the slight light headedness goes as you get used to the diet.
Has anyone else found that they seem to need smaller portions than they used to?

henetha Sun 17-Nov-13 10:56:58

The 5.2 diet is the only one which has ever really worked for me.
I've lost about 12 lbs and finding it relatively easy to maintain.
On non diet days I don't eat as much as I used to, the diet days seem to
diminish my overall apetite.
One side effect, - my clothes are now too big, and that's a great feeling!

I'm going to stick to this diet (with a break for Christmas), but in time when I reach my target weight I shall reduce it to one day per week.
6.1 instead of 5.2.... smile

kalexie Sun 17-Nov-13 11:41:18

Nelliemoser it may be that as the diet progresses your stomach possibly shrinks a bit and so you feel fuller on smaller portions.

I think that there's quite a large psychological element as well to having smaller portions on the non-fast days as I'm finding that I don't want to undo the good work that I've done the day before. Also having to reduce to 500 calories twice a week makes you more aware of just how calorific some things actually are.

henetha yes, it is indeed a wonderful feeling when your clothes start getting too big. Big motivation to carry on to target weight and then the perfect excuse to indulge in some retail therapy, lol!

NanaKath3 Mon 25-Nov-13 19:18:21

This is my first week on 5:2 diet and am delighted to say I have lost 5lbs. For me this is a miracle......don't usually do diets, but I have found this simple enough for even me to cope with! smile

MaggieP Mon 25-Nov-13 19:38:25

Wow, NanaKath3 that is impressive and you deserve to feel pleased with yourself!
I am enjoy my two fasting days and it certainly seems to work, however am just about to fly off to see Family in Dubai so fear it will be a hard slog on return !!

NanaKath3 Mon 25-Nov-13 22:46:35

Hi Maggie
Hope you have a great time in Dubai. 5:2 will be waiting for you as we'll as all of us when you get back! grin

mrsbennet Sat 14-Dec-13 08:07:59

I started the 5.2 diet at the beginning of the year after seeing some great results for a few friends who are a little bit older than me. when I stick to it it works well! I have loads more energy and have lost weight. I notice that I need some inspiration and another friend recommended a new ebook which is completely inspired me.

I notice that it is free today on amazon.

I'm particularly interested in good health so the green smoothie part is really useful, it has made a huge difference to my levels of hunger, and reading the book makes me understand why the diet works. It's chatty, informative and I recommend you have a look. It's called The 5.2 diet meets the green smoothie, a perfect match!

If I can work out how to put the link in I'll do it now!!
www.amazon.co.uk/The-Meets-Green-Smoothie-Perfect-ebook/dp/B00H6C4U74

Icyalittle Tue 17-Dec-13 07:19:58

Right, that's it. I can't stand it any longer. I am starting TODAY with a Fast Day. Wish me luck and I'll be back for some support if you don't mind.
(I know just before Christmas is probably a daft time to begin really).

Aka Tue 17-Dec-13 08:14:26

Actually think it's a great time to start.

mrsbennet Fri 20-Dec-13 21:52:11

How are you doing icyalittle?? I had 2 days this week that went well and I do find the fast days set me up well for normal days too. Won't be doing it over Xmas week with family all with me and hope I don't slide back ...

Icyalittle Sun 22-Dec-13 23:27:19

Hello mrsbennet Fast Day 1 went fine, but struggling today with Christmas cooking. How to stop myself tasting things? And after Christmas I shall be skiing so a bit worried that the Fast Days might leave me low on energy with all the exercise. If so, I shall have to do the long night version even though it will slow things down.

Has anyone on the 5:2 diet tried the Lighterlife foods on sale in Superdrug now. They contain between 500-600 cals a day and it is suggested that they are used on the fasting days. Saves a lot of calorie counting an weighing.
BTW I haven't tried them but may give them a try.

Tegan Sun 29-Dec-13 00:56:20

I like the thought of not having to think about what to eat, but are they expensive?

shysal Sun 29-Dec-13 08:21:54

I haven't tried those, flower. If I want something easy I buy Little Dish kids' ready meals, usually chicken and butternut squash pie, at about 200 calories, or M&S meals for one, some of which are also around 200 cals. This gives plenty of room for lots of vegetables and a soup for lunch.

I suppose the Lighterlife crew have just jumped on the 5:2 bandwagon. Shame on them really. Thinking about it it would not give an appreciation of what we eat etc. I am starting back on the 5:2 WOE today and feel hopeful.

Must do this for my health.

Shysal, the Little Dish kids meals sound a good idea. May try them.

annodomini Mon 30-Dec-13 09:35:46

I will start again on Thursday when my visitors leave. I saw a family photograph that was taken on Christmas day and wondered who that fat lady was in the corner of the sofa. It was a bit dispiriting to realise it was me. sad

yogagran Thu 02-Jan-14 14:43:58

I really must start this again, I'd done so well last year and got down to my target weight. Then Christmas came and everything seemed to fall apart. Someone give me the willpower to start again.

Oh, sorry, the willpower has to come from me doesn't it!

Problem is that I still have an almost full box of Quality Street and there's also half a Christmas cake left

Tegan Thu 02-Jan-14 14:53:45

I'm planning to start this but in no way can I give up tea and coffee with milk [would rather not eat than give up those!]. Thank goodness, now I've stopped work I haven't had the boxes of chocolates I used to get. Although I seem to have made up for it in other ways. I get such a taste for cream and custardy type things after Christmas. The S.O.'s mum used to make me a Christmas cake every year but I've asked her not to this time. So the only Christmassy thing left is the mulled wine and I can't drink that for fear of being over the limit for driving tomorrow. And I'm going to ban cheese from the house as well [it's my downfall!].

annodomini Thu 02-Jan-14 15:09:03

My cheese (Cheddar) is grated and put into the freezer once guests have left. The Camembert and Stilton, well, they don't grate or freeze so I suppose I'll just have to eat them. hmm

Tegan Thu 02-Jan-14 15:25:20

We've started buying grated cheese recently [it often works out cheaper]. I've got some in the fridge now and shall put it in the freezer. I know I can eat cake that's frozen blush but it should stop me eating the cheese! [I finished off the Stilton two days ago; my big treat at Christmas is wensleydale with cranberries and that went very quickly]

Maggiemaybe Thu 02-Jan-14 15:46:55

I've been on the 5:2 for so long it's just a way of life now. I'm not trying to lose weight, just to stop putting any more on, so I must confess to eating too much on the non-fast days, and it's been way too much over Christmas. I reckon I could lose a few pounds if I exercised a bit of control on the 5 days too - I might give it a go just out of interest over the next couple of weeks. Starting next week. of course. wink

I used to be paranoid about drinks on fast days, Tegan, just having fruit tea and flavoured fizzy water. I still find the fizzy water to be a real help, but I just have my usual tea with milk now during the day. There's only around 10 calories in a cup. I have nothing to eat at all during the day, then a tea of 400 calories, which sets me up for the evening. I used to find that if I ate at all before tea time it made me hungrier.

Tegan Thu 02-Jan-14 15:51:17

I've never been keen on fizzy water but I'll get some tomorrow. And I must get back to drinking water again; I slip out of the habit so quickly. Going to work out some calories tonight.

Maggiemaybe Thu 02-Jan-14 16:11:53

I'm not much of a one for water normally either, Tegan, but I enjoy the flavoured stuff on my fast days, probably because there's nothing else on offer! It definitely fills you up and stops the hunger pangs. Be careful which brand you get - the supermarkets' own are normally very low in calories, but I did once buy a brand that had loads in.

Tegan Thu 02-Jan-14 16:34:24

I find that sipping water throughout the day works best for me but I've got to be honest and say I can't remember the last time I did that [I've even started taking a flask of coffee to the cinema instead of a bottle of water].

Nelliemoser Thu 02-Jan-14 16:48:09

I have fallen off the diet wagon over Christmas and there is still cheese, cake and nibbles to finish off. I fasted Tuesday and will try again tomorrow. I do find it has helped me eat less on non fast days. Over about 7 months I lost 10 lbs and that is with a couple of non fasting day holidays thrown in.

mrsbennet Tue 07-Jan-14 07:21:58

New year here and off we go again! I really think this is all about health so I steer away from any old dead food on my fast days (ie packaged stuff) it is a stretch to do fast days and I'm gearing myself up to choose which day next!! Putting it off... Even though I KNOW it works and I feel better afterwards. Why do I sabotage myself????

grannygrace Mon 27-Jan-14 20:21:12

Hi all I am on my second week of the 5.2 diet,I have about 14 pounds of blubber I need to lose. Have yo yo dieted for a number of years,was at my goal weight 2 years ago and now it has crept back on. Today was my 3rd fast day and I haven't found it too difficult thankfully.I do my 2 days on working days to bust to think of food. My way is too save all my 500 calories for the evening meal.Typically I will have a whole tin of light choices soup,2 slices of Danish bread (no spread) 1 slice of wafer ham,1 tomato a little mayo, followed by 1 WW yoghurt total:376 cals,so that means when the hungry bug bites I have 100 cals to play with. Nice to read everyones views on the 5.2 diet. I have 2 dogs to walk so that's my exercise taken care of.

shysal Tue 28-Jan-14 08:38:56

Good luck grannygrace, let us know how you get on. flowers

rioja Mon 17-Feb-14 12:20:15

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/ - it sounds like a good idea!!
If anyone wants to know anything about the 5:2diet this is the website to log onto - it's the official one, and there is lots of information, it gives you the facts and obviously any tips can be shared here on the forum.
I do fast somedays (i.e.miss breakfast&lunch) when I am just busy out and about and have been on a calorie counting diet since Jan 6th, and have lost just over a stone and I think after over indulging at the weekend a couple of fasting days would be to try. So today is my first fast day . I have put on so much weight and just had to take myself in hand, so far so good!!! > Good Luck all <

mrsrabbit Tue 25-Feb-14 21:37:29

Started 5:2 yesterday and survived with 500 calories and was very surprised to wake up this morning not really feeling hungry and had breakfast eventually 11ish. Has anyone noticed a reduction in appetite this quickly?

shysal Wed 26-Feb-14 08:47:29

Yes mrsrabbit, I was expecting to be ravenous on the morning following a fast day but, like you, found that it was not so.
Good luck, hope you achieve the results you are after.
It has been a year of maintenance for me after losing 2.5 stone doing alternate days. I do need to shed a bit more weight, so will start soon to be stricter on fast days. I have found that 600-700cals has allowed me to stay the same and eat very well on eating days. I have never before kept weight off for so long. At last I have found a regime for life!

mrsrabbit Thu 27-Feb-14 08:28:38

Thanks for the encouragement smile

boheminan Fri 18-Jul-14 01:07:41

As this thread's become a bit stale, I was wondering how folk are finding the 5:2 diet a few months on? I'm curious because I've just started on it again (third time) and I'm hoping this time I'll be able to stick with it.

I have Tues, Thurs & Sundays as my fast days - which is working fine apart from the fact that I only lose around 3lbs every month - which I get very disheartened about, then the dreaded 'plateau' is upon me, and after eating very strictly for 12 weeks, losing around 7lb..nothing more happens - until in a fit of pique I go and eat a normal meal on a fast day and find I put on nearly 2lb (which is a mystery as the weight of the meal itself wouldn't come to thatgrin

Are others succeeding on this regime?

Add your message here

To post you need a valid nickname and password. Log in if you are a returning member, or join for free.

If you have forgotten your nickname or your password, you can get a reminder.