Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Monday

(43 Posts)
12Michael Mon 01-Sep-14 06:42:44

Good Morning Everyone,
Its raining here in Brackley this morning.
Mick

PRINTMISS Mon 01-Sep-14 07:29:22

White Rabbits, pinch punch, first of the month, and good morning to you all from a rather uncertain weather-wise south coast. Definitely autumnal here, and the evenings are starting to draw in, but at least we had some decent if too hot sun this year. Let's hope we have a lovely mellow September, my favourite time of year. Enjoy your days.

Nonu Mon 01-Sep-14 07:42:37

White rabbits, white rabbits, White rabbits.
You too PRINT !
smile

Nonu Mon 01-Sep-14 07:46:16

You too Mick!!
smile

NfkDumpling Mon 01-Sep-14 07:55:28

Mornin' All

Rabbits, rabbits, rabbits. Have a lovely September Everyone.

Another beautiful morning here - still, sunny and autumnal. There's high cloud though and rain forecast.

Brendawymms Mon 01-Sep-14 07:57:18

Pinch punch to everyone. Pork, oysters etc are back on the menu as there is again an 'R' in the month.
East Sussex starts dry and bright but feeling autumnal. I cut out all the wood from the Rasberries yesterday, always the first job towards closing down the garden.
Charity shop today, if I can force myself away from my current books. Found a author new to me on Friday and so far have read two of her books and just started number three. Did take time out yesterday to finish the Broderie Suisse sampler. Only one crochet blanket and four knits in the pipeline. Help!

Agus Mon 01-Sep-14 08:02:29

A bit dull at the moment here. Haven't looked at the forecast yet?

What's with all the rabbits?

Brendawymms Mon 01-Sep-14 08:03:30

It's the 1st September!

Agus Mon 01-Sep-14 08:06:58

I know it's the 1st of September Brenda but what has that got to do with white rabbits,pinching and punching? grin

nannotgran Mon 01-Sep-14 08:07:56

White rabbits white rabbits white rabbits from a lovely sunny morning in north essex smile

littleflo Mon 01-Sep-14 08:16:50

Good Morning all from Sunny East London. My husband was asking this morning how the White Rabbits thing began. Does anyone know?

NfkDumpling Mon 01-Sep-14 08:33:26

It's always been just rabbits, rabbits rabbits, here? Perhaps we're not so picky? My grandparents both said it so it probably goes back a long way. Perhaps because rabbit was the basic available meat for poorer people and it was wishing neighbours a prosperous month ahead? Will Google it.

NfkDumpling Mon 01-Sep-14 08:39:53

Seems as if it may have something to do with rabbits being lucky/ white rabbits being witches. Written records of it in 1909 but if my grandparents all said it, it's probably a lot older.

besottedgran Mon 01-Sep-14 08:41:37

Rabbits rabbits rabbits from sunny Fife. My granny always said it too. Apparently if you say it before you say anything else, you are assured of a parcel during the month.

The only months it definitely works for me is February (my birthday month) and December (obviously)!

besottedgran Mon 01-Sep-14 08:43:53

Pardon appalling grammar -- the months that it works for me ARE.......

Agus Mon 01-Sep-14 09:00:39

Thanks for the explanation Nfk. I had never heard of it.

February and December for me too besottedgran smile

suebailey1 Mon 01-Sep-14 09:04:20

I got the pinch and punch (symbolically) from DH today as the cold from yesterday is the chest infection of today - staying in today- very wet here.

AlieOxon Mon 01-Sep-14 09:18:47

I knew it as just rabbits and only February....what is this about white ones being witches????

This is NOT my day. Got woken up early, and subsequently had to go upstairs again as the alarm was going off!
It's raining and my gardener, having texted that he was coming early, then decided it was too wet. OK,he will come another day, but I wanted to pick raspberries and they are all wet, not a time to pick.
Had another text from a friend, and thought I could see her tomorrow, only to find that she was on the way OUT from Stansted, not returning............so that's next week.
AND I thought I could return some socks from Amazon free - only to find that I will probably have to pay to send them back, as it's an outside seller, and it isn't worth it!

I now have eighteen pairs of socks that I don't like/won't fit, as I forgot to return the last lot to some one else.....anyone want some NOT-non-elastic-top socks in lilac, pale blue and pink????

Rhubarb.

annodomini Mon 01-Sep-14 09:55:29

I understood that for months with 30 days it was 'white rabbits' and 'rabbits' for the other months, though I'm not sure about February. So - 'White Rabbits' to you all this rather drizzly September morning here in Cheshire.

annodomini Mon 01-Sep-14 09:56:43

Sell them on Ebay, Alie!

kittylester Mon 01-Sep-14 10:05:28

Good morning all!

Drizzly day here in North Leicestershire but I'm not planning on venturing out so that ok!

I know about oysters only being 'safe' in months with an R but not pork which is a shame as we had roast pork yesterday! confused

Don't mention socks to me Alie, I've just bought mum 8 pairs and flipping well named them only to be told that slipper socks would be better! angry

Enjoy your days everyone sunshine

AlieOxon Mon 01-Sep-14 10:13:33

People do complicate old rituals over the years, don't they!

janerowena Mon 01-Sep-14 10:13:50

DBH back at work properly today, so I thought I would celebrate not having to do so much cooking with a slow, lazy day of just sorting out stuff and generally tidying - then remembered that he wants me to meet him at 6pm to go to a drinks party. As they are always incredibly boring, but I shall be driving, it means that I have to get dressed up, drive, stand and talk about heaven knows what for an hour or two whilst eating dry or soggy nibbles, then drive home again.

Celebration of cooking/dressing-up freedom now postponed until tomorrow.

AlieOxon Mon 01-Sep-14 10:16:27

I am thinking positive, and have planted some blue grass seed, inside at the moment, for next year.

Now going to find another seed tray for pansies.

hildajenniJ Mon 01-Sep-14 10:25:14

Good morning Mick, good morning all.
It is grey and damp in Northumberland, although not exactly raining. Weather forecast not bad for later so might have the chance of going out this afternoon as it's DH's day off. This visit to the garden near Penrith seems to have disappeared as the flowers will be past their best now.