Gransnet forums

Chat

Baby

(23 Posts)
Nonu Sun 31-Aug-14 20:37:08

A 16 month old baby was left in a car in Switzerland and died
Apparently the parents FORGOT the child was in the car.
Stone me.

Seems quite unbelievable, TBH

hildajenniJ Sun 31-Aug-14 20:44:17

How can anyone forget about their child?

Nonu Sun 31-Aug-14 20:52:33

My thoughts exactly HILDA just incredible, and then for the child to die , beggars belief!!

Ana Sun 31-Aug-14 21:09:59

Have we any more information than that? It can't be that straightforward, surely...hmm

janeainsworth Sun 31-Aug-14 21:14:31

Ana www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28996755
Unlike this country, the release of details has been limited and speculation by the media discouraged.

Elizabeth1 Mon 01-Sep-14 08:45:48

What a most dreadful thing to happen to the poor wee toddler left in the car. My sincere condolences to all who are suffering as a result of this horrible incident.

I remember when prams were left outside shops. ( that's how old I am)
I was halfway home before I remembered my baby was in his pram sitting outside the shop and the nightmares I had about that. Its impossible to imagine what could have happened. More recently my DD and her husband went for petrol and 'forgot' they had a baby in the back seat when they both ran into the shop together. I don't say these things to trivialise this sort of incident but just to say it does happen.

thatbags Mon 01-Sep-14 08:54:12

My first husband worked with someone who drove to the garage for petrol with the baby's carrycot, containing baby, on the roof of the car shock

whenim64 Mon 01-Sep-14 09:14:23

Noooooo!!! I would have left him there and then before anything else happened!!

HollyDaze Mon 01-Sep-14 09:42:50

My mum said she did the same thing with my brother, she just forgot he was outside in the pram; she didn't get far before she remembered and came to no harm.

Forgetting for several hours though is another matter ...

Elizabeth1 Mon 01-Sep-14 12:10:58

Ooh thatbags what an emotional moment for dad not to mention
what if!!

Elizabeth1 Mon 01-Sep-14 12:12:35

I agree Hollydaze forgetting for several hours is something else.

thatbags Thu 04-Sep-14 07:55:05

When he arrived at the petrol station, that baby-on-car-roof dad wondered why the staff all rushed out to meet him!!

rubylady Fri 05-Sep-14 05:47:19

Apparently they forgot to drop the baby off at the nursery (according to The Mirror), went to work and only when they came out of work did they realise what they had done. Poor baby but poor parents also.

apricot Fri 05-Sep-14 17:12:50

I once left a 2 year old at school whilst dropping off her older sisters.
I feel just compassion for these parents, perhaps their baby had given them 16 months of 3 hours sleep each night.

Flowerofthewest Fri 05-Sep-14 17:24:04

I forgot my first born and left him outside the local book shop while arranging to meet my then husband in Mothercare. (across the road) It was in the days when prams were left outside the shops.

Stansgran Fri 05-Sep-14 18:55:11

Seems to have happened in 2008,2009,2011,2012 among others where the child died. I hadn't heard the news today and googled and these dates came up.

whitewave Fri 05-Sep-14 18:58:46

Yep! I too left my first newborn outside of the shop on our first outing! I was half way home when it suddenly dawned, I have never ever panicked so much before or since.

Stansgran Fri 05-Sep-14 19:02:55

www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28214266
Really startling.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 05-Sep-14 19:21:20

says here police are opening criminal enquiries

Quite right too.

Nelliemoser Fri 05-Sep-14 20:23:47

I initially thought I could not forget a child I had had for 18mnths a very newborn for a few minutes maybe.

Reading the alleged circumstances though, forgetting you had not dropped s/he off at nursery might be possible.

I did once drive the 50 miles home after looking after DGS and only 5 miles from home realised the car seat was still in my car.
Fortunately the boy was with his mum.
With which thought I am beginning to feel a lot less judgemental than when I first read this sad story.

rosequartz Fri 05-Sep-14 20:36:03

Years ago my colleagues and I realised that a child had been left in a locked car at the clinic where I worked; the child was about 4 and was thrashing around wildly, red in the face and hysterical. It was a hot summer's day. We couldn't open the door and couldn't find out who the car belonged to; just when we thought we might have to smash the window, the father arrived. It turned out he was a visiting psychologist taking a clinic in another part of the building. He said 'Oh, he was fine when I left him, fast asleep, can't see what the fuss is about'.

Maggiemaybe Fri 05-Sep-14 20:51:20

As another who once left her newborn outside a shop - and was well on the way home when I realised - I can just about see how this could happen, when sleep deprivation is brought into the equation. I feel so sorry for all concerned.

Deedaa Fri 05-Sep-14 22:34:01

I knew someone who went home forgetting that she'd left her new baby outside the butcher's. She did remember to take the dog home though!