Gransnet forums

Chat

Nanny state or Elf and safety gone mad???

(127 Posts)
felice Thu 24-Jul-14 08:47:17

A friend ended up near London due to work last night, booked into a B&B then went to get something to eat, thought he would be naughty and went to KFC, he was told they were not allowed to sell chicken with bones in it !!!!!!!!!!!
Why not, is the British public now not thought to be capable of eating Chicken.
You can buy a Chicken in a supermarket cook it and eat it, it has bones in it.
He was so surprised he phoned me to tell me.

hildajenniJ Thu 24-Jul-14 09:08:22

Must be the compensation culture. To insure a chain like KFC agaist someone choking on chicken bones must be phenomenal. They must have decided that selling chicken without the bones is cheaper than the insurance bill. It's the only scenario that makes any sense to me.

Anne58 Thu 24-Jul-14 09:10:06

I wonder if it was just that branch, KFC is actually run as a franchise.

GrannyTwice Thu 24-Jul-14 09:11:32

Oh come on felice - your friend might have been told this but do you honestly believe it to be true? I can believe that KFC only sell meat masquerading as chicken breasts and wings but there will be business reasons behind this not any law.

GrannyTwice Thu 24-Jul-14 09:13:31

And actually, reading about the issues with chickens in today's paper, I wish the great British public were better protected

felice Thu 24-Jul-14 09:27:18

Grannytwice, why would I or he lie about it, he was in Chelmsford, and asked for the same menu he had in Prague 2 weeks ago and was told by the staff that they did not sell it as it had bones in it, they just had chicken pieces in different menus.
He is British and speaks good English so there would be no language problems!!!!!
There is no KFC here so I cannot compare, Belguim has a similar franchise called Hector's Chicken and don't give licenses to similar outlets if they will affect the local trade.
Only 2 Starbucks here, at the Airport and Eurostar terminal

Iam64 Thu 24-Jul-14 09:33:53

Ah, I wonder if it's boneless because it's made from re-constituted chicken?

I do eat some meat, and chicken, but I only eat free range, organic chicken. The way in which places like McD's and KFC's chickens are treated is inhumane. I saw the same information in the news as GrannyTwice this morning - yuk.

Before anyone shouts at me that I'm lucky to be able to afford free range etc - it isn't expensive if used in small amounts. We just don't need these huge chunks of meat, delicious though they often are

GrannyTwice Thu 24-Jul-14 09:49:43

Felice- what I meant was that your friend was told this but that what he was told wasn't true- not that you or he lied - sorry if how I expressed it sounded otherwise. The annals of health and safety stories are full of people being given the wrong information as to why something has been banned. People either want to hide the real truth or just love blaming health and safety. What people hearing these stories should do however is stop sometimes and just think if it is likely to be true before jumping on a bandwagon

felice Thu 24-Jul-14 10:22:40

He did not 'jump on a bandwagon' he asked twice and was given the same reply, that is when he phoned me as he was so surprised, he was told they did NOT sell Chicken with bones in. As he did not want to eat re-constituted chicken he went further on to a local pub and had a lovely Roast Chicken with the bones in.
I was asking if this was an health and safety story or as previously mentioned were the management afraid of being sued.
I didn't really expect people to take it quite so seriously actually!!!!
Put it to bed now I think, I hope your weather is as lovely as ours, going to take DGS for a walk, last week of the bi-annual sales here so the best time to get bargains.
Have a great day.

GrannyTwice Thu 24-Jul-14 10:29:26

I meant you jumped in the bandwagon by your post about nanny state and elf and safety - your post seemed to immediately assume that the reason was one of those and not just a change in company policy related to their profits - whatever the motivation for that of which their could be several - fear of being sued, easier to cook without bones, cheaper ( as said above reconstituted gunk). I just get tired of the lazy knocking of the serious subject of health and safety which has saved countless lives and injuries and which knocking is encouraged by the tabloid press without any serious discussion

felice Thu 24-Jul-14 10:40:19

It was tongue in cheek, never mind bye.

felice Thu 24-Jul-14 11:19:08

Before I get accused of talking about myself,,,,, Grannytwice, I was a Senior Community Education Officer for 17 years, and a Scout Leader for 12, then a Chef running my own bar/cafe and catering company, I know all about H &S, in various countries, sorry about your sense of humour bypass I hope you get better soon, I know that sounds nasty but sick and tired of being lambasted on this site.

felice Thu 24-Jul-14 11:20:10

And I am most certainly NOT lazy!!!!!

Iam64 Thu 24-Jul-14 13:21:01

Oh dear, I didn't read anything in GrannyTwice's comments that resulted in the responses from the original poster.

Maybe the weather is affecting my sense of humour, because I didn't realise the op was intended to by humorous grin

GrannyTwice Thu 24-Jul-14 13:58:06

Oh grow up felice- I am just tired of cheap jokes and jibes about health and safety. If you want a humorous thread on the subject, it could be called ' what is the stupidest thing you've ever heard falsely attributed to health and safety'. And yes, your op gave no indication of humour at all.

felice Thu 24-Jul-14 15:46:32

Umm, well, Iam64, first we are lying then I am a lazy person who knocks the important job of health and safety., maybye the lazy ones are the ones who have nothing better to do with their time but to look for people to gripe at on the internet. I wonder how many other forums you are all on well no more for me, I have better things to do.
Many thanks for the support I have received from people on here, but strangely enough, you are not the be all and end all of all advice or comment.
Stay happy on your little island.

Eloethan Thu 24-Jul-14 15:52:15

felice The KFC website refers to "chicken-on-the-bone" so I'm not sure the information you were given was correct. Perhaps some smaller outlets only sell boneless chicken products?

I tend to agree with grannytwice that unsubstantiated statements that make Health & Safety laws seem ridiculous undermine the need for such laws and play into the hands of those companies who want to cut costs at the expense of public safety.

On 10 September 2012 BBC News reported that plans were being made to exempt thousands of businesses, including shops, offices, pubs and clubs, from H&S inspections.

On 9 April 2013 a building publication "Construction Enquirer" reported a concern about safety, after rules had been changed regarding the wearing of hard hats. In the same article it was stated that deaths from head injuries had fallen from 48 a year to 14 a year since the introduction of hard hat laws.

On 12 April 2014 the Guardian reported that there had been a 35% cut in the H&S budget, also noting that there had been a 7% fall in unannounced visits.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 24-Jul-14 16:09:09

Don't be so bloody rude grannytwice. "Grow up" indeed!

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 24-Jul-14 16:09:56

Is the heat getting to you? hmm

FlicketyB Thu 24-Jul-14 16:12:20

FeliceDon't forget staff in a place like KFC will make up rules on the fly if a customer asks a question they cannot answer.

Just because a shop, store, institution, or individual claims something is/isn't being done because of H&S is no guarantee that H&S actually made that ruling or even suggested it. It just means that someone was overly safety conscious/lazy/incompetent and just used H&S to justify a decision they made up to make their life easier.

Have a look at this official HSE site listing all the myths it has come across in catering, doesn't include your one but I am pretty sure it could.

www.hse.gov.uk/myth/myth-busting/catering-hospitality.htm

Go up a layer on the site for links to myths in many other industries, they are myriad.

felice Thu 24-Jul-14 16:22:37

Enough. I never ever said the staff said originally it was H&S. he was told we do not sell Chicken WITH BONES IN IT.
read the OP.
I asked tongue in cheek was this the NANNY STATE, or H&E.Note no comments on the nanny state.
He has taken a photo of the menu and it states quite clearly, OUR CHICKEN HAS NO BONES IN IT.
For get a life all of you.

felice Thu 24-Jul-14 16:23:03

H&S

merlotgran Thu 24-Jul-14 16:28:02

Maybe, 'Our Chicken Has No Bones In It' is merely there to reassure parents who might be buying a takeaway for children.

whenim64 Thu 24-Jul-14 16:55:48

They do both!

www.kfc.co.uk/our-food/to-share/deluxe-boneless-feast

www.kfc.co.uk/dontworryeathappy/viewStory/12

My grandson is a KFC fan and prefers boneless, so gets the boneless banquet. Son gets boned. What's to argue about?

felice Thu 24-Jul-14 17:13:27

Chicken has BONES in it, Beefburgers come from cows, so does milk, carrots come from the soil, Bacon comes from pigs, eggs come from chickens, if parents cannot tell their children that chicken is chicken and is the same thing that they eat shaped into chocolate at easter time then the UK really is a very sad place.
Or is it just the way they are taught to eat, just munch and not have to think about it??????????????????,