Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Have I done the right thing?

(23 Posts)
AnotherBirdLady Sun 10-Sep-23 10:15:35

My Mum, who is 93, moved into extra care housing (rented flat with meals provided and care available) just under 2 years ago. Her mobility was poor, and she had reached the point where she was having falls, even with regular care visits, and struggled to get up the steps from her flat to the street. For a year or so, she was happy with the move, and seemed to be coping with help. Then this year she has had a series of terrible falls, two involving head injuries, as well as chest and urine infections. She was having to have almost 24/7 care with bed and chair sensors in place. My partner and I had a meeting with the senior carer and manager, who felt she was unlikely to regain her mobility. We have, with her knowledge and consent, moved her to residential care, within the same building. It is a lovely place, and she can still see her friends at lunch, if she wants, and go to the same activities. Obviously she has far less room, but we brought over all the furniture we could. Yesterday she asked me when she was going back to her flat (the falls have affected her memory and concentration), and seemed downcast when I explained the situation. Now I am consumed by guilt that I have done the wrong thing.

Redhead56 Sun 10-Sep-23 10:20:30

Don’t be consumed with guilt you have taken advice and are concerned about her well-being. I have been in the same situation and felt the same way she will be more secure now.

kittylester Sun 10-Sep-23 10:55:18

You cld fudge and say something like, 'Let's see how you get on here' or something like that.

Blossoming Sun 10-Sep-23 11:40:33

It’s a very difficult situation for you but you have absolutely done the right thing flowers

cornergran Sun 10-Sep-23 12:09:03

What else could you have done? Don’t feel guilty, fudge if you think it would help her settle but you know it’s one of life’s adaptation and a big one, maybe your Mum just needs time. She’s lucky to have you to care about her safety and comfort. Please don’t feel bad

Fleur20 Sun 10-Sep-23 12:18:22

This is about her safety.
She has been your number one priority thoughout.
You have absolutely nothing to feel guilty about.
It will take her time to settle, but she will be well cared for and have a bit of company too.

Shelflife Sun 10-Sep-23 12:27:09

Of course you have done the right thing. Clearly you are a very loving and caring daughter. Your mum is in the same building and can still see her friends. I had to make similar decisions regarding my Mum , she lived with us for four years before a change had to happen! I recognize those feelings of guilt but please don't beat yourself up- your Mum is very lucky indeed to have you looking out for her.💐💐

Katyj Sun 10-Sep-23 15:19:02

Totally the right thing. You need to keep her safe. It sounds wonderful still being able to see her friends.It’ll probably take a while to settle, everything seems to take longer when their older. Hope she settles soon.
I can’t keep my mum safe. She’s 92 and very poorly after several bad falls, but still refusing to move. The never ending feeling of dread is terrible.

AnotherBirdLady Sun 10-Sep-23 15:53:52

Katyj, I can totally understand how you are feeling. Seeing her bruised face in A&E after head injuries, and her suffering delusions for weeks afterwards, has been traumatic for me (and her). I think part of my guilt is down to the relief I feel now I know she is safe. I hope your Mum comes round to the idea of moving soon.

Katyj Sun 10-Sep-23 16:58:16

Yes I totally get it. It seems we feel guilty for everything, goodness knows why. My mum fell down the stairs in her flat last year and suffered a brain haemorrhage, she was lucky not to break anything, she was just getting over her broken hip too that led to another five month stay in rehab. It’s never ending.

Romola Sun 10-Sep-23 18:14:16

Of course you've done the right thing. Once elderly people start having falls, they shouldn't be living alone.
A friend who runs an old people's home tells me that her residents soon feel glad to be safe and looked after, and their health improves.

pascal30 Sun 10-Sep-23 18:28:16

I agree with everyone.. you have made the correct decision but I think it is crucial that you are always honest with your Mum.. so that she can trust what you say and feel secure in that trust. Tell her she won't be able to return home if she asks again.. You obviously love her very much...

welbeck Sun 10-Sep-23 18:37:34

she may have dementia, in which case telling the literal truth every time can cause repeated, and pointless, distress.
emphasise that it is on the same estate, so can see same people around.
distraction is often useful.
all the best.

Hithere Sun 10-Sep-23 18:40:39

You have to put your brain first, heart second

You have done the right thing and you will all adapt.

Being sad is natural.

Witzend Fri 06-Oct-23 20:37:15

Assuming she’s seeing a doctor, why not say, ‘When the doctor thinks you’re well enough again.’

Theexwife Fri 06-Oct-23 21:05:55

Why would you feel guilty for doing the best thing for your mum?

V3ra Fri 06-Oct-23 21:16:36

I like Witzend's idea.
My Grandma was happy with anything her doctor wanted her to do.
Maybe you could ask your mum's GP to have a chat with her about how staying in the care home is what is best for her now.

Grantanow Sun 29-Oct-23 09:25:59

We make the best decisions we can at the time and there is nothing to feel guilty about.

neiljarvis Tue 07-Nov-23 17:56:40

you're doing everything fine, its just a hard decision, not a bad one

honeyrose Tue 07-Nov-23 19:35:35

I agree with everyone else - you’re doing absolutely the right thing. My mum went into a home when she was 93 and had dementia. This was 10 years ago and she passed away aged 98. I suffered from guilt (after an initial feeling of relief) about putting her in a home, but she couldn’t look after herself, was a danger to herself and others in the flat where she lived (she almost started a fire in her kitchen) and so it was the best thing. Your mum’s safety is the most important thing - although she may not see it that way and will still want her independence. It’s a very difficult situation and I really do emphasise as I have been there! Sending best wishes.

BlueBelle Tue 07-Nov-23 20:43:36

Theexwife Why would you feel guilty for doing the best thing for your mum
because she has a kind heart and can see how her mum would feel

Hetty58 Tue 07-Nov-23 21:01:40

What else could anyone do - rather than make the most sensible decision at the time? Still, we feel guilty for not doing more - or 'enough'.

It's fine to be evasive about 'going home' if that's necessary, especially if they forget (with short term memory problems) and ask every day. A neighbour's mum, with dementia, is always asking to go home - but has lived here for 70 years.

When told that she was home it would upset her. 'This doesn't feel like home' she'd say 'I want to go back to my real home!' (must be thinking of her childhood home). Now, we say she's just staying here while she can't climb the stairs - and that's quite OK with her.

Hetty58 Tue 07-Nov-23 21:11:02

Therefore, pascal30, I strongly disagree about being honest - not when it's so cruel. A tiny old lady on my mother's ward was always sobbing. She's ask her visitors where her husband was - and they'd tell her he'd died. She'd soon forget, so next time, they'd tell her again. 'I can't bear it, I just can't bear it.' she'd say.