Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Children's costumes for World Book Day

(40 Posts)
sofasogood Thu 28-Feb-13 20:15:38

Don't know if I'm on quite the forum for this question, but I'm in a panic because my daughter has asked me to make a costume for the 6 year-old GD for World Book Day next week. They have to go into school dressed as a character, apparently, and there's a prize. My daughter doesn't really care about this - she just doesn't want to have to do it herself! Granddaughter isn't bothered but may well be by the time the day comes around. Anybody done this or alternatively, got any ideas? I can use a sewing machine but I'm stumped about this. Ideas please?

Deedaa Tue 12-Mar-13 20:31:33

My grandson tends to dress like that to do "science" at home grin Of course Mummy is a biochemist......

broomsticks Tue 12-Mar-13 15:38:35

My grandson's school did 'Science Day' today and he went off in a very small white lab coat and goggles. Frightening!

LullyDully Sat 09-Mar-13 17:33:38

Great that's over for another year, now all wearing red next Friday!!!!!

Deedaa Fri 08-Mar-13 22:48:23

Mrs. Tiggywinkle looked lovely (alhough a lot of the other children had never heard of her) Aslan worked very well, with fur fabric stuck over his gloves and plimsoles to finish off the look. It was nice to see that a lot of people had made costumes rather than buying a supermarket fancy dress.

LullyDully Fri 08-Mar-13 16:43:39

Sounds like everyone did well by their little ones. Mrs Tiggy Wiggle must have been "over and above the call of duty" yet wonderful! Kids just love to dress up and have fun.

annodomini Fri 08-Mar-13 16:14:00

Blonde GD was 'Harriet Potter'! complete with cloak, glasses and zigzag scar.

grannyactivist Fri 08-Mar-13 15:23:22

Yes HildaW, BB was his mother's favourite book and certain phrases have become part of the family shorthand for us too.

HildaW Fri 08-Mar-13 15:18:42

grannyactivist Thats a definate fav book with us. Daughter worked for the police and its a favourite with them too! In fact will still say....'I'll have that, said Burglar Bill' when we help ourselves to something even if its just the last biscuit in the tin.

Bags Fri 08-Mar-13 01:33:32

Minibag's class have been reading a book in which the heroine has the same first name as her, so she went as that character. I think the excitement of slightly different from usual school day went down a treat.

grannyactivist Fri 08-Mar-13 01:07:43

William, aged three, went to school as Burglar Bill today. Adorable.

annodomini Thu 07-Mar-13 22:02:45

GD was being Harry Potter. Given that she's a blonde, it must have been tricky.

Deedaa Thu 07-Mar-13 21:32:33

One of my daughter's friends is doing Mrs. Tiggywinkle. I gather the prickles are requiring a bit of thought smile lovely idea though!

Gorki Tue 05-Mar-13 09:43:28

Daughter has decided to send him as Jack(and the beanstalk -- with a little help from Tesco's ).They having been doing the story at school and the little chap just loves the Giant but as he is so tiny she thouught Jack would be more apprpriate.

Deedaa Mon 04-Mar-13 21:30:49

Aaaaagh!!! Should have typed they're not their! Really must see about sorting out some photo's.

nanaej Sun 03-Mar-13 22:05:24

Sounds great! Deedaa

Deedaa Sun 03-Mar-13 21:06:30

Cheer up nanaej my GS made a super Cat in the Hat last year with a hat from the fancy dress shop and some drawn on whiskers the rest was mainly black clothes , a homemade tail and some gloves. He was very scornful about some of his friends who were just generic knights or pirates instead of actual characters.
The Aslan costume seems to be working. Brown top and trousers with one of those animal hats their all wearing and matching fur fabric made into a poncho and tail.

nanaej Sun 03-Mar-13 18:23:09

I found it a bit depressing as a person working in school that so many children came as superheroes! As someone has said it is world book day and tere are so many loely books for kids nowadays! My DGD1 went as Percy the park keeper one year then Angelina Ballerina and this year is going as a mouse from brambly hedge stories! I have seen boys dressed as Bottomly Potts (dalmation from the Hairy McClary stories), dragons, captain Hook, Wally from Where's Wally, Rainbow fish, cat in the hat, tigger..so many ideas!

HildaW Sun 03-Mar-13 18:08:52

Ragged clothing and a small wooden bowl - Oliver Twist.
Fur fabric 'loin cloth' - Stig of the dump
1940's style clothing i.e. short trousers fro boys and cardigans and skirts for girls plus brown cardboard gas mask boxes and luggage labels with names on pinned to clothing - the children from Lion, Witch and Wardrobe.
Cat mask, black leotard or black tee shirt and leggings plus tail and wellington boots - Puss in Boots.
Ragged 'bridemaid' style dress with sooty marks and a bit of black face paint or dark eye shadow on face - Cinderella

seasider Sat 02-Mar-13 22:37:56

Dennis the Menace is quite easy for boys if you can get a stripey sweatshirt.

Deedaa Sat 02-Mar-13 17:57:30

Further to my previous comment I have just been dragooned into helping
with the Aslan costume - I'm the one with the sewing machine! Looks like a busy weekend for Granny too.

ninathenana Fri 01-Mar-13 16:11:47

Simple idea for a boy.....dark jacket n trousers white shirt with lace added bow tie on elastic =James Bond

Gorki Fri 01-Mar-13 14:48:23

Will do.I'm not sure even what day it is and how long we've got to ponder it.

LullyDully Fri 01-Mar-13 14:09:23

Please tell us what you eventually decided.

Gorki Fri 01-Mar-13 13:55:26

Some good ideas here.Many thanks.

nonnasusie Fri 01-Mar-13 12:55:41

My DD took part in that about 30 years ago!! She was Black Beauty!! Mask with ears, black leotard and tights and a tail!!